New Grave Digger owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman11

Just purchased a new Primal RC Grave Digger. Ended up purchasing the standard edition, but with all the upgrades minus the aluminum beadlock wheels on the collectors edition. I did attempt to cancel / pay the difference for the collectors edition after realizing the retail price for all the extra upgrade parts was a good few hundred more, and Primal mentioned they'd send me an invoice for the difference but it "magically" shipped before they could update it. Anyhow ... long story short ended up getting a small discount on the upgrade parts, and excited for the truck!

Now ... for the stock engine. How bad is it really? As well, I see Primal is charging $100 US (which in Canadian is a good $1,000 it feels like haha) for some proper thick vinyl decals it seems like. Is it worth it? And are there any other upgrades that would be considered "essential"?

For the engine, I can't muster up another $2,500 right at the moment so I'm wondering in the meantime are there any legitimate/reliable means for upgrading the performance enough to be noticeable? Not looking for overly powerful by any means, just from what it seems like a bit more guts and top-end. Any top-ends or mods that can be done to the stock engine? I do like that it's not as piercingly loud as say they Taylor 50CC (wish there was a silencer for that one as well) and the CY 46CC requires a weird exit for the exhaust and to cut into the chassis which I'm not into doing. Maybe there's a smaller pull start available for that engine in particular?

Congrats on the purchase. I have a V2 Raminator and love it. I did a full build thread on it that will hopefully answer a good amount of questions for ya. There are a few differences such as shocks and such to the V3 which the Digger platform is. I am sure others will chime in.

Here is my thread:
https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/rickdizzles-raminator-build.25853/

I am still running the stock engine and really like it for my style of scale running. But others have done other engine swaps and will help ya!

Cool thanks Rick, I'll go through your thread and take a look. Good to know you're liking the stock engine. I've clearly not run mine yet (taking delivery in another couple days it looks like) so I should probably run the stock engine first before making a final decision, though I can clearly see the power is 'very scale' from all the videos I've seen.

I've had both , the Taylor 50 and the to stock engine , there's a carb upgrade for it and venting the tank lid has helped a lot in wakeung it up aTINY ,bit , but the 50 I had , came with really soft clutch springs and it would snap tranny shafts and hex pins like butter , I've since sold by that truck , but it's all about how you wanna drive it , you can drive it like mellowed out rc sparks dude , or you can exsplode that 50gt to the moon like thunder rc dude , it's all about what you want but it's GRRRRREAT ! To see in your not one of those E clowns with there raminators , great purchase ! Congrats !!

Nice. I've been emailing back and fourth with Mike from Taylor RC to get a feel for options. He recommended a 7.5K clutch to smooth out power delivery and go a bit easier on the drivetrain, and I'd also throw on the silencer with that too. The Grave Digger body should nicely conceal all of that as well. Love the sound, but don't want to bust any eardrums lol good to know how powerful it is, holy crap. I'll make sure to upgrade all of those parts to handle it; I see Taylor offers some parts to beef things up a bit.

Also I'm with you and absolutely hate electric conversion crap for these kind of vehicles; what a waste on such a cool truck. The only area I've actually enjoyed electric kits was with indoor carpet racing in the winter ... then you've got something fun without having to bust out the air compressor after every run :) So there's a place for them in that regard I think.

Also build large scale RC airplanes ... 4 stroke only, and multi-cylinder / radial engines are the only engines I'll toy with there :)

Junk the factory engine, for around five hundred you can get a gp460 engine with and esp top end and have over double the power for cheap.

Justin braim has them down very well, tons of videos to.

Titanium shfts from Taylor are ok, but they snap. Better off sticking to the factory shafts. Alx now has upgraded hardened steel ones. Alx also offers good engine options as well. I went with a 85 in my grave digger

Was looking at the GP460, seems like you'd have to cut the frame though with that one, or is there a way to fit it without cutting?

Much more reasonable price point though. The frame cutting was the only real turn-off on that and trying to figure out the best exhaust option as well. Good to know about the Taylor shafts and better ALX options.

Great advice.

For yours ... 85, holy crap. Must be busting parts left right and center. The 85cc Taylor?

Dam !!! I've sold my taylorized raminator , and built the freek ,, losi 5t from hell ! Taylor 50 in that thing , but that's it ! I'm getting through my builds right now , then spring will be here I'll be working more than I should , and I'll figger a gravedigger for sure , and believe it or not , I'm Lean Ng twords a stock 🚂 NE I have two of them soooo ,

You don't have to cut the frame if you order the small pullstart conversion. As far as pipe, they can be easily modified to fit, the goped style. Also obr makes a pipe that should bolt right up to the gp460. They also make an engine, but in my opinion I'd save the dough and get the gp460, esp head, obr pipe and save for a larger bigbore if you end up wanting more.

I had a 71 in my mega and loved it. Wanted more though so went 85. Still building that, but I have some upgrades on it so it will hopefully hold the power ok.

You don't have to cut the frame if you order the small pullstart conversion. As far as pipe, they can be easily modified to fit, the goped style. Also obr makes a pipe that should bolt right up to the gp460. They also make an engine, but in my opinion I'd save the dough and get the gp460, esp head, obr pipe and save for a larger bigbore if you end up wanting more.

I had a 71 in my mega and loved it. Wanted more though so went 85. Still building that, but I have some upgrades on it so it will hopefully hold the power ok.
Solid advice again. Really appreciate the input. Definitely a lot more affordable to go that route out of the gate than the Taylor 50CC setup. That’s more of the seeet spot for me with this GraveDigger. Not really looking to go crazy. If I have the itch for speed I’d rather drop something nuts into a Losi 5T or a Vekta.5 - something a bit smaller and less expensive to just rip the hell out of haha
Is this the correct pull start adaptor?

https://www.ddmracing.com/DDM-Zenoah-R-C-Pullstart-Adapter-for-GP460-Engines-11-249000

Then drop a smaller Zenoah pullstart on her.

Solid advice again. Really appreciate the input. Definitely a lot more affordable to go that route out of the gate than the Taylor 50CC setup. That’s more of the seeet spot for me with this GraveDigger. Not really looking to go crazy. If I have the itch for speed I’d rather drop something nuts into a Losi 5T or a Vekta.5 - something a bit smaller and less expensive to just rip the hell out of haha
Is this the correct pull start adaptor?

https://www.ddmracing.com/DDM-Zenoah-R-C-Pullstart-Adapter-for-GP460-Engines-11-249000

Then drop a smaller Zenoah pullstart on her.
Yep that's it.

I put that same pullstart adapter on my gp46 so I didn’t have to cut the frame in the mega truck
I never liked the look with the frame cut I don’t care if it’s more work to get the engine in or out
Your gonna love the digger with that engine it’s a good balance of speed and power

Completely agree. I've seen multiple videos on YouTube where the guys were talking about how much easier it is to just cut the frame. I'm sitting there thinking, how bloody lazy are you that you'd rather cut into a $4,000+ piece of equipment than back out a handful of screws.

The only real bad thing with putting the zenoah pullstart on is you have to oblong the existing holes on the pullstart to get it to match up with the gp46
Also the pull starter has a shorter length rope then the factory gp46 one and it has to turn over a way bigger engine then it was designed for so I don’t think it will last as long but spares are not that expensive
I haven’t run mine yet as it’s still wintertime here in west central Alberta I put the engine in just after x mass
Spring is coming though!

I wonder if I can use the rope from the factory GP46 to extend it a bit further... that's one area I'll need to figure out; where to exit the pull start especially with the Grave Digger body. Same with the exhaust, I'll probably have to attach an extension to the stock muffler or use another muffler entirely to have it somehow exit the bottom or straight out the back. So a couple things to figure out, which the Taylor 50CC would've been a much more direct drop-in of course. Just ... almost $2,000 CAD more expensive definitely changes things sometimes! Try it out first anyways and see if I like it. If I hate it, I'm sure somebody wouldn't mind a lightly used Taylor modded GP460 I figure. I did end up buying the engine directly from Taylor RC as I liked the modded intake that points down versus having to try and move the tank myself etc. on top of it being a reliable source for modification. So a little more expensive than if I just found the cheapest I could find the GP460 etc.

Nice, I'm in the south west / south of Calgary out in the country myself with a bit of space so I don't annoy any direct neighbors lol

With the digger body you may be able to reach in through the side window to start it but the pipe might be in the way if you use the gp46
You could also turn the pull start on the engine so the starter handle is pointing towards the rear of the truck and have it poke out one of the side plate holes
Prob be a pain to remove and replace the body every time you want to start it
I ordered a digger body/ cage a week ago but not sure if I will put it in the Ram or mega truck

Have to play around with that for sure. I'll come up with something!

Received it today, what an awesome truck. Question about the fuel tank ... does anyone have any links to an upgrade for the tank to at least install some proper barbs on the top for the vent and fuel line? The fuel line the way its installed stock bends the fuel line a lot which is pretty useless unfortunately.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks