Newest project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow we will have video. I just started it up and runs good and strong. Lots of pep with the red clutch spring. Quick bench tune up and it's ready for the track. the tank line seals leak, so I just shoe goo'd them up and letting it dry. it wouldn't idle for nothing. carb was way rich. idle screw in max lol.

Lights were a bust. now the fake ones are off the bumper and the cap light I mounted in the upper bumper wouldn't allow me to put the body on without hacking.

I appreciate it. I didn't spend much money fixing it up. And my paint jobs are just hack. But it will stand out. I am stunned how cheap firehammer parts are!! I mean shock towers for under $5? I will fill that new tool box with parts. $200 bought me a lot of stuff.

well a bud just came over. I got rid of the am radio. he needed it for crawling and this thing had a 4ch am rx! Now he is going to get one but likes the firehammer style over the baja. I am grabbing a pair of ofna rear 8th buggy shocks of him tomorrow (he's on the way to the track) to put on the front of my mt. he has hyper 8 and 8.5 so they're big bores. that'll make it fun

Hey my friend sounds good....you will find high center of gravity...easy rol over if cornor to
sharp......I guess you could mount the lite in the body........
Have a good time at your doings.......Slawhammer

I rolled it twice today, tore a corner of the body.... hence the hack paint jobs LOL

I gotta say these carbs are bass ackwards... needles are backwards to my solo.... wtf did they put the low end adjustment on the right for? had me stumped for a bit today trying to tune the thing and getting worse every adjustment I make LOL... doh stupid brain.

I didn't get any video but I took a couple pics of the track. we were working on the track with the backhoe today and made a new berm with a fence. BIG burmed wall around the back end. not many jumps but it's why they call it full throttle raceway

damage today for me was a stripped plastic spur carrier and a stripped plastic pinion. both stripped on the shaft as usual. I have a metal pinion on now and had a new plastic spur carrier. I'll be ordering an alloy carrier this week. never got my headkit. see it was track maintenance day and not many showed up haha

I might just buy a new one from oneills.

Yup with the wtcarbs..the low side adjust needle is always clostest too the engine clyinder
Well you did get out and have a run with the firehammer.. too see what is what....
I use red lock tite on all my grub screws....You will find that the plastic spur carrier
gets hot and can melt from the heat of the engine.....A Alloy 60mm dia carrier would be better...you can still use the plastic 48 spur gear or change to a metal 48 tooth gear..
if you can get a cir-clip for the lay shaft..it is better than the E-Clip....lay shaft is 10mm
take the layshaft with you too a auto parts house to get a cir-clip too fit...that way you know it will work....the spur gear will not come off then......Slawhammer

I swapped those clips right away for fg ones. I hate those snap ring things. when I stocked up on fg parts, I bought a bag of each c clip and a bunch of screws, nuts etc

needles were a blond moment. I don't have much hair on my head but it is blond LOL. I am supposed to be the guy that knows this crap and give advice at the track hehe. hey even "veterans" have brain farts. I can laugh and admit I am an idiot at times. I've had cy motors too. just had 2 solos for the last while so got used to it

I was just looking on tower, and this thing has the buggy tank, not the mt one. I'll probably just order a duracrap tank and iron the seam (thanks for the heads up Slaw). $12 for the mt one, or $7 for the buggy one. maybe just order 2.

is the duratrax alum dif sealed? I thought I remember reading it isn't. my brain is baked from the sun today. odd I don't even feel like eating dinner and it's 10:30pm. got the truck cleaned off at least tonight, and since the hose was out washed the outside of my car. not good pr with it looking like I was 4x4ing in a dustbowl hehe.

car I detailed today had an odd story. friend's parents car. they used a park and fly and left the car. they came back and it had dirt inside the car and a funny smell. they said they had to move the car to a different lot, but it had mileage put on it. they said they shampoo'd the carpets for them but the smell was still there. they thought chinese food. I found this huge spill of crap under the passenger seat, and when the 212 degree water hit it, I knew I found the smell. wow. they spilled crap all down the center console... I wonder if they weren't using it to deliver food!!

Get the MT tank. You don't have that leaking seam like on the buggy tank.

I am completely assuming the alloy diff is sealed (the one at Tower). When you say sealed, I'm guessing you mean the sleeve is sealed at both ends by an o-ring right? If it isn't, I would go with the FG one for 30 bucks more.

The one from tower has a seal for the shell....But the Fg alloy is very much better
.......I have a extra blue one from tower....Don't think I will ever need it....
Slawhammer

Just getting to the point I have to watch the spending. I see Mike (Large Scale Alloy) has some fg stuff for sale again and I want the front brake kit, maybe some other goodies. I need 2 alloy difs... the semi is covered in grease lol. that dif leaks bad now, time to retire it. I have a new dif gear and layshaft gear, but want a case first

Well another order to tower just went in. I grabbed the mt tank, dif outdrives, axles, steering rod set and the alloy dif case. it was hard to make $100 to get my discount code lol. stuff will be here by friday. we have our annual meet and greet picnic this weekend so I wanted it to be tight. I have spare fg dogbones so now I have pretty well spares of everything in my pit box. the dif case is actually for the semi. tired of the grease leaking out. the mt one doesn't leak actually. so I can get a case for it next week or something

now I can take this tank apart and seal it up properly and let it setup with some good stuff to have as a spare for either vehicle. doing a demo of the semi tomorrow. He wants one now too (my customer today). wow I left it was cloudy, 3 blocks away, was scorching by the time I setup. he was feeding me beers, bbq'd hamburgers and shiskebobs. wow man I ate a lot of food. booked 2 more jobs in that cul de sac. came home and ordered rc goodies. a good day I'll say hehe. got home too late to return calls but had more calls for work. it may be hot but dam business is booming for me right now. too tired to wrench but I have the stuff for when it slows down at least. waste so much time during the day. it's easier just to start later in the day and work into the evening right now. I even got to ride an electric pocket bike today, chopper. he wants me to hop it up. should be a fun project. dude makes 6 figures so I have some room to budget hehe

Hey pip..ya got to love tower for parts....great on shipping...They have never let me down
...Good to hear your getting the firehammer sorted out....It will be a good runner for ya
once you get a few minor issues done....Slawhammer

I guess my friend was unable to snag me that aluminum square stock, so am going to go hunt down some for my chassis braces. next time I am working in port kells area I'll hit the metal supermarket

I am getting the alloy fg front brake kit from large scale alloy. maybe the knuckles too. I hope he can get me the mt spur carrier as well. I can't stop. am amazed how fast this truck is coming together honestly.

also just waiting for my friend to decide which killer B picco switch he wants (plug for Killerrc.com formerly pbkillswitch) so I can order us a couple. his wife is watching the credit card closely so I am ordering it for him. he has a headkit and stuff for me.

outerwears for air filter and pull start coming with the pipe. I want to toss an hpi baja air filter on. they are nice and big. I can use that new k&n on the semi as we blow the lot off with a gas leaf blower before we run anyway

I'll try and get some tinkering done later, but today I have to install that bloody over the range microwave/convection hood fan. might have to grab the young fella that helps me out around here to hoist it up in place. it's a big unit.

Here's a few pics of the track I was helping with this weekend. It's a work in progress but an awesome start. The owner called it Full Throttle Raceway. Not much for jumps but big banked burms allow some good speed. I just have to convince him the figure 8 idea has to go ;)

th_100_0001.gif
th_100_0002.gif
th_100_0003.gif
th_100_0004.gif
th_100_0005.gif
th_100_0006.gif
th_100_0007.gif
th_100_0008.gif

Looks like you have a good place to run....figure 8 or not...better than a city park...
were there are lots of people......I have a couple areas to run with out people....
Your profect is coming along nice....You need to replace the steering knuckles as well as the rear up rights to alloy.......get those bearings out of plastic.....
Think about a alloy gear plate as well..........Slawhammer

I just got off the phone. Track work is tonight again but I can't make it. I made a layout suggestion to toss the figure 8 and still keep the ability to have 2 tracks or one big one. simple move.... All the drivers agree with my change, now the track owner has to be convinced hehe

it's a fun place to run. fire pit, beer fridge, covered area for pits. I hate figure 8's, been there done that. saw too much carnage. even a bridge sucks (we had one 2 yrs ago at the nitro track). I still remember Jeff trying to crawl under to get a buggy out stuck halfway in and got stuck on his belly while buggies wailed past his face haha. and the chicken wire over top for safety chewed off lugs if you landed on it and it the gas....

well I just booked in a big Chriscraft boat for polishing tomorrow, so I am going to get the alloy knuckles from LSA as well. though this truck doesn't have those silly metal inserts like the firehammer. they are like fg on road ones and all plastic, but hey, if I am adding an alloy brake, gotta add the knuckles too... I hate polishing boats tbh but the money is good for doing them. that said, I will book Friday off as well as I won't be any good to do anything Friday. parts should be here so I'll tinker with the truck

I remember when I done detail work...black is tough to work with..but looks awsome when done....I even did custom aplustroy(sp) work..tuck & roll jobs...carpets ,leather..
I just got burnt out and went back to turning wrenchs.....
you will get to drive your firehammer pretty soon...learn want to set up to make it work for ya.....I would say you will end up with wheel adapters and get the baja style wheels and us the hostile AT's all the way around ...use the rear.. wider wheels...that way you can rotate the wheels...those tires really grip..would be ideal for your dirt track....
your coming along quite nicely.....Slawhammer

Parts arrived today while I was at work. Man I love this. The semi is all cleaned of grease and on the kitchen table with the back end off. Installing the dif case with my old innerds, new dif and layshaft gears ... and yes red loktite LOL. I should have it done shortly.

I detailed a small seadoo boat today. what an easy job. I finished it really fast and started saturday's work (huge motorhome, at least 28 foot). got the outside washed but didn't have my interior stuff like vac and carpet cleaner... so going back saturday. I should be finished early enough to get the mt ready for sunday. I was home fairly early for a change and started late.... tomorrow I am doing an old caddy. I'll get some pics. it has been stored for a long time and is musty smelling, the wife won't get in LOL

my phone has been ringing all night too. dam man. haven't been this busy in June for years. I am eyeballing those cvd's mike is selling now too LOL

Just came out for a coffee break and a smoke. time to put the pig back together. I am changing first gear too as I snagged the pinion for the mt.

just a reminder don't forget to use silacone around the diff shell....
it will help keep the grease in the diff.....I think Bigger The Better has posted some thing on diff rebuild some where......All sounds good my friend....Slawhammer

I don't silicone for the on road around the dif. I use a dif riser so lots of room, and I bring the leaf blower and blow the surface off before we run.

well the Genesis shocks arrived and are mounted up. The springs were far too soft. I had so many spacers on the rear that the spring wasn't on the shock body and it still bottomed out. I modded the yellow spring off the stock shock first (bent the spring to fit the smaller retainer) but it was a bit long for the shock and I had no droop. I modded the red front spring to fit and it's a good fit. I have some room to add a small spacer if needed but running nothing. pipe isn't on yet so I am waiting for that.

the front was a different story. it was too long. I had to cut the shock bottom and then dremmel the base with a sanding drum to get the spring retainer on. The spring is still too soft even for the front, so tonight I cut the yellow springs down to fit on there.... this will do for now but I am just going to order some good shocks and be done with it. $25 gets me running better than the leaky things on it, so it's not a big loss, but I don't feel they are exactly what I want. Maybe I should mount all 4 on the back

I imagine I could use some other springs like for a tmaxx or something

Hey Pipe..I used FG stock shocks on my firehammer...Duel in the rear and single in front
seem to work ok...zero droop....slawhammer

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks