OBR Build Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
Since it's such a slow news day, I thought I'd post some shots of what I've been up to lately.
My OBR long block shipped Friday, should be here Tuesday. So I tore down the ole fuelie to start prepping.

Fan cover was looking a bit beat up, so I gave it a sanding and painted it up with some grill paint (doesn't need primer).
Fan_Before.jpg

Looks a lot better now!
Fan_After.jpg

Bench all set up and ready for work:
bench.jpg

Since it's such a slow news day, I thought I'd post some shots of what I've been up to lately.
My OBR long block shipped Friday, should be here Tuesday. So I tore down the ole fuelie to start prepping.

Fan cover was looking a bit beat up, so I gave it a sanding and painted it up with some grill paint (doesn't need primer).
View attachment 53765

Looks a lot better now!
View attachment 53766

View attachment 53767
nice, can't wait to see ?

Keen as chips ???? we like it??

View attachment 53765

Looks a lot better now!
View attachment 53766

View attachment 53767

I can see you now rubbing your hands together and peeping out the blinds each time a car passes by.

Definitely salivating. I signed up for text message updates from USPS, so I jump every time my phone buzzes. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I've been wanting a reed case motor for a long ass time now.

And then nearly throw it at a wall across the room when it's really just your wife asking you what you want for dinner

Close. I'm the cook in the house so I nearly throw it across the room when I find out it's the wife asking what I'm making for dinner! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::facepalm:
Remember to readjust your throttle linkage ?? and reset the servo end points

I do that every time I have the motor off the truck. (y)

Motor came in today. Isn't it funny that when you don't care, all your deliveries show up early in the day, but when you've been waiting weeks, it shows up at the last moment? Here's the build today.

Clutch and Flywheel went on, no problems:

flywheelinstalled.jpgclutchinstalled.jpg
I'm running an inclined Shredstack. With the angle of the reed valve, I had to invert the stack to keep the filter from smashing against my exhaust pipe.
MotorReady.jpg

I forgot that I drilled a hole in the old clutch case for adjusting the clutch springs, but I've decided to leave the new one alone for now. I know where to drill in case I need to do it again.

I managed to get her mounted tonight. Still need to finish putting everything together so I can break it in this week:
tranny.jpg

It's really such a shame that when everything is put together, you won't be able to see how pretty that case is. It's truly a work of art...

Last edited:
I'm actually the package man everybody waits for! Lol! When I have big rad poop coming I just show up real early and find it on the other dudes' truck and fish it out! Go straight to the source! So, tell me about a reed case motor, I'm not exactly sure what type of performance this means. Thanks!

I'm actually the package man everybody waits for! Lol! When I have big rad poop coming I just show up real early and find it on the other dudes' truck and fish it out! Go straight to the source! So, tell me about a reed case motor, I'm not exactly sure what type of performance this means. Thanks!
9.4 hp 34cc billet reed case?
From OBR Racing ??

Reed Case motors have a reed valve that leads right into the bottom of the crank case with carbon fiber petals that open when the motor is intaking fuel, and snap shut when it isn't. Compared to a piston port motor, you will have better atomization of the fuel/air mixture and no chance of fuel blowing back through the carb during compression/combustion.

This makes for a higher HP output and higher revs. Piston port motors tend to have a bit more low end torque, but don't rev as high or make as much power in their band as reed cases.

They're pretty much the bomb.

Here's the one I just built: 9.4hp Longblock

BTW, always upgrade to the billet transfer plates. Much cheaper to get them with the motor than to get them after the fact.

Last edited:
Well dammit! Rain let up a little this afternoon. I got the motor to fire for the first time with little drama, but it died on me due to low idle screw as it warmed up. Tried starting it again and my starter pawl split, it made the worst cracking sound!

So bummer there. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The damn thing has been in use for a decade now. It was bound to happen and this motor has some killer compression... Ordered a new pawl, hopefully it will get here by Saturday or Sunday so I can get back to breaking her in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks