Question about mounting Hitec D845WP servo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillin4life187

I have decided to upgrade both my buggies to the hitec D845WP steering servo but need some help. My older baja still has the stock electronics box and stock steering a setup. Im having trouble figuring out how to mount the servo since the stock servo mount doesn't fit the Hitec. The new servo is considerably larger then the old one. Old servo happened to be a perfect fit but only put out 20kg and was limited to 6v. How are you guys mounting the servo or what mount are you using? I found one mount that seems like it may work as far as dimensions. What do you guys think? Please post a couple pics if possible. Thanks

https://www.rovanrc.com/servos-serv...0236mg-rovan-rs-2050-rs-2145-rs-2065d-servos/

I’ve just fitted a D845, I’m telling you it ain’t straight forward, (WOW). I had to do loads of little mods to make it work. I’ll only post if people are interested in finding out.

Ok so here it starts50286

The servo is the same width as the SAVOX 0236 I have but it’s deeper and the lugs are slightly bigger.

I needed to push the servo forward, it just so happened that I needed 3.3mm and Fullforce brackets are perfect spacers at 4mm. They gave just the clearance needed to not cut up the battery box which I was trying to avoid.

I then cut a 5765 bracket in half to secure the d845.

I then had to cut the servo horn to stop it from fouling the chassis but that was least of my troubles.

I ain’t finished.

Ok so here it startsView attachment 50286

The servo is the same width as the SAVOX 0236 I have but it’s deeper and the lugs are slightly bigger.

I needed to push the servo forward, it just so happened that I needed 3.3mm and Fullforce brackets are perfect spacers at 4mm. They gave just the clearance needed to not cut up the battery box which I was trying to avoid.

I then cut a 5765 bracket in half to secure the d845.

View attachment 50287

I then had to cut the servo horn to stop it from fouling the chassis but that was least of my troubles.

View attachment 50288View attachment 50286View attachment 50287View attachment 50288

I ain’t finished.
Wow! That's alot of work for "just" a servo.

Then I needed to cut a mount to clear the wiper arm.

I should have taken better pictures when I had it out and cut the corner off effectively. I’m not sure you would get away with this with the plastic mounts.

But because of the forward movement and the lowering of the wiper arm hole, the geometry was way out. It took me ages to get the wiper arm length right to equal left and right motion. Now I have it set to max end points in both directions and no binding. There’s a tiny bit more in each direction to give I just need to keep tweaking and I’m good at that.

BTW now my geometry is totally different from standard. The servo horn now stands at 12 o’clock straight with zero sub trim. At that position the wheels should be virtually straight. Left and right move the wheels in equal distance with maximum end points set at 120.

So there are benefits.

Last edited:
wow.:oops:..I guess I wont b putting one in my baj....:ROFLMAO:
Me niether.

Wow just realized how much of a hypocrite i sound like ? i have zero issues spending a fek ton of money, hours, effort, ect, into little things like my radio box or my engine (well the engine isn't a small thing but u get the point) but I wouldnt spend time tweeking and moding for a servo. WOW ?

Thanks for posting. Coincidently i just finished mounting mine as well and had to go through the same headache. Only difference was I used an aftermarket all aluminum servo saver I ordered from Rovanrc.com.
Here it is:
https://www.rovanrc.com/steering-kits/cnc-aluminum-steering-wiper-arm-kit-silver/

At the moment Im still trying to work out the kinks. What a pain. Would you mind posting a few pics of how you have it lined up with the steering posts. Im trying to see the angle you have it set at. Thanks

Dude, use the same stock lengths HPI set for the turnbuckles, 58mm from memory, double check though.

It will line up where it lines up there is no adjustment. The only way to make it work is set the servo arm to 12 o’clock at zero offset and adjust your wiper arm length to suit. Do that and you’ll be golden.

Ignore my messy electrics I’m not finished with them.

See what I mean wheels straight servo at 12 o’clock. I’ve got the Turtle racing steering thing which is what your was copied from I think.

I can’t believe it, I’ve made my steering way better by accident. Oh and another tip use these ball end things from Kyosho. They are way tighter than the stock, zero slop. You have to mod them obviously.

Nice one chillin??,

Your original post sparked another few mods that make it better again.

Last edited:
Good. Glad to hear it. So I think i got everything worked out. Noticed their is a gap at te top of the steering post. Did some research and I guess this is common with any aftermarket and even the stock steering. I ordered the steering shim kit from DDM so hopefully it fixes it.
Good glad to hear I sparked some creative ideas.
Speaking of tidying up electeonics.Now gotta fix my 1000 lumen lights on my buggy and find another power source.? On to the next project...let you know how steering is once i actually run it.

Attachments

• 20190323_165306.jpg
    20190323_165306.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190323_165925.jpg
    20190323_165925.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 16
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks