Rampage MT & Rampage XB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

It's arrived! (same posting as on redcatrampageforums.com)

Packed nicely, tons of foam peanuts, but nice and secure. Clear body.

It was what I expected, so no real disappointments.

Now for my own personal observations.

1) Tires, I like'em. Do I just glue the reinforcement ring to the wheel with CA glue?

2) Shocks, not bad like I expected. They seem fairly good. Better than my Firehammer MT shocks.

3) Suspension arms, they seem pretty beefy. I'm assuming that I will need to boil them.

4) Alloy shock towers

5) Nice roomy chassis for working. Everything is accessible.

Dislikes:

1)The springs on the front shocks suck it, but those can be changed.

2) Flimsy, flimsy roll cage. It just seems plain weak.

3) The roof plate resting on the spark plug, absolutely dumb. I can see why there is that steel protective piece that Rob sells (hbz).

4) Front bumper, I haven't hit anything yet and already broke it. I lifted the truck up a few inches to drag it across the room. Snap. Super.

5) 23cc, ick. I am going to probably put my 29cc in it. When I do, it'll have an X-Can attached. Thought about ordering the DDM pipe from Python because their price on it absolutely kicks ass, but I can't because......

6).....the servos suck from what I have read. So I need a steering servo, and possibly another receiver (if I keep my Firehammer MT).

So that's what I think so far. It's what I expected. Since I have only had 2 large scales and if I had to rate it with my HPI Baja 5b (stock, out of the box) and my Firehammer MT(stock out of the box), I would say it's a bit lower quality than the Firehammer MT. Not a slam by any means because I think the quality of the Firehammer MT is quite high, partially due to good plastic, and a more solid feel.

That's what I know so far. As soon as I get the upgrade kit, I'll be installing those parts. It'll be a couple weeks I'm sure before I get it out running. Sucks, but I won't just slap everything in without going through it.

Yee Haaa! Great to see you got it! The guy I talked with here in MN had a XCan on his with the 6" tubes and he got one of those Modified Doms from RRF. What a difference, which it should be, he went from a can to a tuned pipe. I can say that DOM was a nice pipe. Are the tires not Huge? I can see why they tear things apart in jumping and such.

The tires are huge, but I'm not sure they are really much bigger than the FG's, I'll have to take a pic of the two together this weekend. I think I can get my FG beetle body to fit on it nicely! I'll bash the holy heck out of that pickup body first though. Why save it? ;)

I think my worry with a tuned pipe is it will bring out all the weaknesses, especially with those huge tires....gears stripping, joints breaking.....etc. I'll just play with the X-Can for a bit until I feel more comfortable. Plus, my tuned pipe money may be going for a good steering servo and spektrum receiver oh yeah, and another killswitch (that just hit me). I love money pit hobbies! :)

Ya, servos can take you back quick. Timmahh posted a really good deal on a Futaba 2.4ghz fasst system radio at $179.00. Check them out, I have heard of no glitch problems with them.

Csp..sounds good my friend...looking..forward to your review on this new unit...
to bad ya live so far away I would airbrush the body for ya.....
want to see pictures......Slawhammer

I ran the steering servo in mine until it stripped. it worked fine for me you just can't find replacement gears. the throttle servo is absolute junk though, don't even test run with it. I was glad I had the mt tires on first run cuz it glitched first time out and hopped a curb...

shoe goo and drywall mesh tape will be your best friend with that body. the body is junk. and limit the travel 10mm in the shocks or you will find the dogbones bind in the outdrives on full extension. I had pretty good luck with the stock shock shafts, other than bending one on a jump. I went to the phatdad shafts, mounted them upside down and used a nyloc nut above and below the piston. that got rid of those useless c clips that always bend and fall off. phatdad shafts are 5mm shorter and the nut was 5mm inside.

the cheapest simple mod I saw was a chunk of water noodle foam around the plug.

ya well I am sure you have been reading at the redcat forum. the handling on a track will surprise you. as a buggy it was kicking baja butts even with the stock 23. most of the problems didn't arise until I upgraded the engine, pipe and ran the mt tires. Then it became no fun for me breaking every 20 mins so I traded it for another FG

I ran the steering servo in mine until it stripped. it worked fine for me you just can't find replacement gears. the throttle servo is absolute junk though, don't even test run with it. I was glad I had the mt tires on first run cuz it glitched first time out and hopped a curb...

shoe goo and drywall mesh tape will be your best friend with that body. the body is junk. and limit the travel 10mm in the shocks or you will find the dogbones bind in the outdrives on full extension. I had pretty good luck with the stock shock shafts, other than bending one on a jump. I went to the phatdad shafts, mounted them upside down and used a nyloc nut above and below the piston. that got rid of those useless c clips that always bend and fall off. phatdad shafts are 5mm shorter and the nut was 5mm inside.

the cheapest simple mod I saw was a chunk of water noodle foam around the plug.

ya well I am sure you have been reading at the redcat forum. the handling on a track will surprise you. as a buggy it was kicking baja butts even with the stock 23. most of the problems didn't arise until I upgraded the engine, pipe and ran the mt tires. Then it became no fun for me breaking every 20 mins so I traded it for another FG

Reading over there like crazy. I kinda figured the big tires will be its downfall. I may mount the Baja tires on it eventually and lower the body a bit. I may hang onto the Firehammer MT until I see what it is like.

On the waterdoodle mod, are you talking inside the shock or inside the joint?

Sounds like phatdad shafts haven't been produced in quite awhile, so I guess i'm not going to hold my breath on those.

I'll keep the X-Can on it. As much as I love tuned pipes, sometimes they can be an absolute downfall with the extra speed and power.

The shoegoo won't remove the paint will it?

More excellent info, thanks pipeous!

:lol: That kills me! Was it new? I thought the Mutilator was flimsy! Sorry to hear about that...

Yep, brand new. The bumpers are a replacement in the upgrade kit, so it is an apparent issue (probably not by dragging it across a room). I'll be pulling those off as soon as the kit arrives. I'd rather them break now than hit a pole and just have them shatter and bend the crap out of the chassis! LOL

the water noodle stuff around the plug to keep it from breaking. I saw gas jockey I believe showed it and thought that was brilliant

I even used a chunk of a shop cloth before I got a new roll of drywall tape. I also just posted a couple pics in my fg thread where I did body work on that one with the same stuff.

the body cracked on a rollover from body mount hole to hole
100_0011.gif

the water noodle stuff around the plug to keep it from breaking. I saw gas jockey I believe showed it and thought that was brilliant

I even used a chunk of a shop cloth before I got a new roll of drywall tape. I also just posted a couple pics in my fg thread where I did body work on that one with the same stuff.

the body cracked on a rollover from body mount hole to hole

When you said "plug" I wasn't even thinking spark plug. Sorry :blush:

I like the body idea!

Those are some big wheels & tires....Hostile AT's would be good on that truck...
with those big tire I would think it would be a slug for handeling....
desent looking unit....few minor up grades and you should be ok ..like ya say....
keep posting as ya go along with this unit.....Slawhammer

I hope you enjoy your new truck. I have heard the stock servo's are junk, but I don't own one myself.

Absolutely true from what I've read! I ordered an HPI Baja stock metal geared steering servo and have another replacement for a throttle servo.

Now that's too funny my friend....You may as well put it back in the box.....
save it for you son when he gets to be about 8 years old......Be a nice father & son
Project......I will check on this project later....Slawhammer

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks