Rampage MT & Rampage XB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a bit of time to work on this thing. I tore down the front end, diff and all, and put in the replacement bits that came with the upgrade kit. I also boiled the front parts, changed out the front shock oil, and tempered the diff cups.

Ordered a DDM pipe (139 at Python, you can't beat that price for those of us that didn't get THIS DEAL at DDM: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3084/.f or this one http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3083/.f)

Also bought some Baja shock parts to upgrade the shocks to 6mm shafts.

Other than that, I hope to be able to run this soon. It's taking some time getting it sorted out so I feel comfortable with a RTR. I hate not knowing what's in it and how it's assembled. What the hell ever happened to kits. If you told me 20 years ago that RC's would all be RTR, I would have laughed at you. I remember when RTRs were just starting to come out, at the hobby shop I worked we all laughed at them.......who's laughing now?

Sounds like your ramp is coming together very well....I will be checking this thread for your progress....best to you...Slawhammer

Replaced the steering servo and the throttle servo last night. I used the HPI Sfl-10mg for the steering. The servo is about a quarter inch longer than the servo that comes with the Rampage. Not a big deal until you have to mount the throttle servo on top of the steering servo mounts. The tray for the throttle servo is then about a quarter inch too short. So I just rigged up a couple pieces of aluminum to extend the throttle servo tray. I think I'll be okay now. It beats spending about 40 bucks on their special servo mount for a Futaba servo. I'll post a pic of the awful thing I put together later. :)

So, what are you thinking so far?

Well, I haven't run it yet. It's taking me bits of time here and there to get it torn down (which is easy), get the parts boiled and put back together. I'm hoping this weekend I can get it finished. The front is finished, I'm just starting to tear down the rear.

I received the DDM Black Rampage pipe in the mail today from Python (thanks!). Helluva deal on their pipes. Also received the front shock bodies so now I'm down to waiting on the front hpi 6mm ss shafts to arrive. After my install of the Baja steering servo, I found that I don't have a servo arm for the thing. So I ordered the steel final gear and aluminum arm for a completely metal geared steering servo.

I'll get some pics of the stuff hopefully tomorrow evening.

Oh yeah, found a good deal on the AMS FG to HPI wheel adapters (26 bucks brand new!) on eBay tonight. Thinking about putting my FG Monster Tires on it. I want to see how they look before I purchase a second set though. I'm concerned about how far they might stick out.

Let us know on the FG tires and wheels, how they look/fit etc. I've been wanting to do the same thing! Pix if possible!

Okay, here are some absolutely boring pics of my rear end tear down and throttle/brake servo mod.....:sleep: I'm still not done. I know, I should get out there and work on it more often....not enough time.

Oh yeah, received the Dom pipe in black in the mail from Python as well as front shock bodies for the Baja which will be used on the rear of the Rampage. Since the shafts on the Rampage are a weakpoint, I'm using the Baja SS 6mm shafts all the way around. The current rear shocks on the Ramp will be moved to the front and the Baja's will go on the Ramp rear.

Also from Python, a new steering servo aluminum final gear and aluminum arm for my sfl-10 servo.

Hmmmmmmm......what else, oh yeah, the AMS adapters to put FG rims on the Ramp. I'll try and get a pic of this with the FG MT tires on the rear this weekend if I get the rear back together.

Wife ordered me some Hostile AT's and chrome wheels to put on the Ramp. They will be mounted on the Baja chrome wheels and I'll be using the DarkSoul silver beadlocks. She also ordered me a z-racing billet intake manifold. :) I have a great wife!

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

Last edited:
good call, those rampage tires are anchors. so heavy. I never had a drivetrain problem until I used the mt tires. once I started using them at the dunes, I was snapping drivetrain every 20 min of runtime. with the buggy tires I just busted a rear shock shaft and lost some dogbone pins. the pins were from too much downtravel in the suspension and binding in the outdrives. so watch that with the baja shocks. took a few broken pins before I realized what was happening, and I ran out of drill bit shanks to replace them

I'll be bolting my MT tires back on now...I think the drivetrain has been well sorted now, we temper our diff cup shafts, green loctine all the dogbone pins, centre the drive shafts with either earplugs, tubing or springs and we now have all steel a,b,c,d gears. I haven't had a driveline issue for weeks now...just a dui problem evrytime i run it...then i always end up smacking it....done 3 front lower arms and 2 upper turnbuckles the last few times out but i was hitting things at speed and with mundo force:helpsmilie:

edit: I lied, I've 3 tanks with no problems, I was melting a and b gears within 15mins but have 3 tanks on the current 29/31 plakkies with no gear cover...moot point now though as i've steel 29/31 and 25/35 on the way

Last edited:
I'll be bolting my MT tires back on now...I think the drivetrain has been well sorted now, we temper our diff cup shafts, green loctine all the dogbone pins, centre the drive shafts with either earplugs, tubing or springs and we now have all steel a,b,c,d gears. I haven't had a driveline issue for weeks now...just a dui problem evrytime i run it...then i always end up smacking it....done 3 front lower arms and 2 upper turnbuckles the last few times out but i was hitting things at speed and with mundo force:helpsmilie:

edit: I lied, I've 3 tanks with no problems, I was melting a and b gears within 15mins but have 3 tanks on the current 29/31 plakkies with no gear cover...moot point now though as i've steel 29/31 and 25/35 on the way

I'll be waiting for a full report on the MT tires! :)

You definitely beat the hell out of your machines.

Don't get me wrong, as a buggy, even stock with the redcat tuned pipe (I never had a problem with mine, I made my own hanger bent the pipe in closer to chassis and ran it) I was amazed how it handled on the track. the broken shock shaft was hitting a big air jump and back tires caught the lip.... I jammed out and slowed down to roll it a bit and came up short. with the 28.5 it was a beast. I've got my broken upgrade dif outdrive sitting here.

I still read at the rampage forum, and guys like Moo have done a lot of hard work on figuring out the problems. bang for the buck it's well worth it. I was grabbing a rally car but this firehammer deal came along. gotta save up some more money to get it is all. gears weren't a problem for me. it was those bloody dif outdrives and pins snapping that drove me nuts. and always with the mt tires at the sand/dirt lot.

But putting the redcat on my mechanic stool, I had the arms at full droop and noticed the binding in the outdrives. even centering doesn't fully help the angle of the pins in the ends. try it out, you'll see what I mean. the phatdad shafts are 5mm shorter than stock. 5-10mm of downtravel stop eliminates the binding. once that was done, no more dogbone pins broke.... mine never fell out.. I broke one or both sides off of pins a few bones. got a hole in my thumb trying to dremmel a starting point to drill and tap the ends for a setscrew. then just loktited or jb welded the pins in and that was fine.

I'll probably end up putting some homemade shock limiters like teamchrome did on his Firehammer buggy. That will take care of that problem. I don't plan on running those gigantic tires on it for awhile. Hence my purchase of Hostile ATs. :)

And before anyone here says...."they won't grip, you'll slide all over" just bite your tongue and STFU. It'll be fine. I'm quite familiar with how rc's run and I can handle some sliding.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks