Rovan Baja 29CC breaking pull starts along with my arm!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try to squirt a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole and see if it fires?
If it fires up and then dies then you know it’s not getting fuel up top of the piston
If you do pull the engine apart verify that the piston is in the correct way also

Did you try to squirt a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole and see if it fires?
If it fires up and then dies then you know it’s not getting fuel up top of the piston
If you do pull the engine apart verify that the piston is in the correct way also
You know, I haven't done that yet even though I remember seeing it on other forums. I'll try that today and reply with the outcome. Thanks for the suggestion

I recently been messing with my 5SC after it was sitting on the shelf for over a year or so. My problem was, very little fuel. After checking many different things, I did notice the inner air filter was deteriorated. I replaced the carb, still nothing. In the end I removed the cylinder head to thoroughly inspect it. The root of the problem ended up being the pulse hole was partially clogged with a piece of the inner air filter foam. When I pulled the carb at first, I did spray some carbkleen through the pulse hole in the manifold thinking it should clear any debris. Now if I pulled the manifold during the carb replacement and checked the pulse hole, I would have saved a wasted day pulling the cylinder head.

Whereabouts, if you do not mind. Do you live. (being an ex-mechanic yes certified, and yes certifiable ;) I would gladly take a look at the engine. All great ideas here. So surely someone here, may live close enough for you to drop off engine. I have RARELY seen the pulse port blocked, would depend more if your filter was VERY old/or very wet when stored. But it is WELL worth a look. It happens on my older nitro cars, often (well not pulse port) but rather the element getting into cylinder (as I have used wet/oiled filters in the past).

Whereabouts, if you do not mind. Do you live. (being an ex-mechanic yes certified, and yes certifiable ;) I would gladly take a look at the engine. All great ideas here. So surely someone here, may live close enough for you to drop off engine. I have RARELY seen the pulse port blocked, would depend more if your filter was VERY old/or very wet when stored. But it is WELL worth a look. It happens on my older nitro cars, often (well not pulse port) but rather the element getting into cylinder (as I have used wet/oiled filters in the past).
I live in Southern California. I've thought about taking it to a professional once I remove the carb and check the head if I have too. I think that's as far as I could go since I have no real experience with these engines but I'm not afraid to learn. Worst case scenario is getting a new engine for this thing but that'll be my last resort since I've already spent a few bucks on a new carb and a couple pull starts. Thanks

20220210_141204.jpg20220210_141204.jpg
I managed to wrestle the head and It looks like the piston has been grinding inside... Hopefully you can see it.... 20220210_142210.jpg
20220210_142221.jpg20220210_142308.jpg

Zenoah or CY stock 29cc head kit or a Ported 29cc head kit from ESP or OBR like in the link below. Just to complicate things a bit, you can also get a 30.5cc head kit both stock or modded but you will need to replace the crank as the 30.5cc needs a 2mm longer shaft.... Curious what model and brand carb do you have now? Also where did you buy it?

29cc Stock Zenoah
https://www.davesmotors.com/zenoah-966508401-4-bolt-top-end-kit-g290rc-36mm-28-5cc

29cc Ported ESP
https://www.davesmotors.com/esp-championship-ported-zenoah-4-bolt-36mm-29cc-top-end-kit

30.5cc kit
https://www.davesmotors.com/esp-earth-surfer-ported-modified-30-5cc-big-bore-combo-kit-4-hp

Wow! 🤯🤯 I bought it off a guy when I lived in Chicago. So who knows what type of maintenance he did to it. I sold my nitros to get into this kind.

How many years did you have this Baja? Just curious. Not sure how much life to expect from one of these engines.

I would assume there are differences in the two clone brands. King Motor uses Fuelie (CY). That 30.5cc engine rips. Rovan has a different brand name; ROFUN, and I assume they cannot use the Fuelie logo if it is not a CY engine. Tried a Rovan 36cc engine, poor performance.

Zenoah would be top pick, CY second. ROFUN would be no fun.

Buy the KM or Rovan head kit, rebuild it then start saving for the likes of a Zenoah. Use this engine as learning experience. Head kits in the UK for the 29cc engines are about £25/$30 and come with everything needed from gaskets to sparkplug, new head, piston, wrist pin, ring. Good cheap engine to learn and make mistakes on.
I wouldn't buy a Zenoah head etc to put on that engine, by the time you buy the head, piston, gasket set your almost at the stage of buying a Zenoah G320 complete.

Just to throw a curve ball you could also throw the 30Degrees head kit on that with ported piston, the 30 degrees heads are ported from factory and have a better casting than KM/Rovan, a little more expensive than KM/Rovan but no where near Zenoah money.
Also what part of South California do you live? Might be a member in the same city as you.

I've had the rovan for about a year now, it is "ROFUN" so like KevTrem mentioned... It is a good engine to start learning since this whole time I've been reading and watching videos and see how there are other engines much better than what I have. There seems to be a lot of options and I think I have to crawl before I can run lol which means I wouldn't want to put the top engine out there and then mess it up. But I'm definitely would like to upgrade once I get this one started again and keep tinkering with it. I'm in San Diego, CA and I know there might be a few hobby shops out here but I'm a DIY and with the help from guy's like you all, it's all I need. 🍻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks