Stripped screw and struggling to get it out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisBlue233

Hello All,

I just got a large scale kill switch for the engine as I don’t trust a failsafe by itself. After taking the screws off to try to gain access to the ignition coil, there is one screw that is holding the cover on at the bottom of the buggy that ended up stripping. They put so much loctite on it and torqued it in there that I ended up stripping the hex head. Tried heating it up and using a screw extractor and it won’t budge. Instead of using a dremel grinding to take the head of the screw off, is there anything else I should try? I really don’t want to take the whole engine out to get the screw body out of the cover and I really don’t want to risk not being able to get the rest of the screw out if it’s so tight in the first place. Don’t want to damage the threads in the cover either. I used this type of screw extractor. If I take the screw head off and the engine out, would I be able to get the rest of the screw body out?
Should I use this type of screw extractor the longer ones or is it too risky and I might damage the threads?

Attachments

• E0F6F8AA-3A65-44EC-88BB-55999C901E01.jpeg
    E0F6F8AA-3A65-44EC-88BB-55999C901E01.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 13
  • EE443088-B921-4186-9D82-7620C52C1414.jpeg
    EE443088-B921-4186-9D82-7620C52C1414.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 4BC75D29-9E92-4E08-AAF2-6959E41E7B80.jpeg
    4BC75D29-9E92-4E08-AAF2-6959E41E7B80.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 13
Pull the engine out mate. Will make extraction easier likely you'll be able to get on what's left of the screw, heat it up and back it out. With the head off it should release any tension on the screw.

I’ll probably just take a dremel and grind the head off and pull the engine out. I ended up getting some higher quality screws so this won’t happen next time.

ex
Just take the dremel and knotch it... Turn it into a flathead screw and use a flathead screwdriver to get it out.... Works everytime for me!

What dremel tool should I use? I feel like a cutting wheel will cut into my chassis as well since the screw is beneath the chassis surface.

I use the cutting wheel.... Funny enough, I just had to do it myself

20200615_222654.jpg20200615_222707.jpg
Yes, you'll cut your chassis a little but not much
It's not pretty but it'll be alright

20200615_222949.jpg

Drill the head of the screw off till it gives , remove the other screws , remove the part that will have the remains of the screw showing , vice grip it turn it out , I've used every method out there , all might work , this works Everytime, after all I own a compleatly redone raminator for crap sakes and two kratons , I'm sure folks no about the locktight problems of armma?? again , with the everytime

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you using the extractor set properly? Never found them to be unable to remove the little hardware on RC's. Sometimes it helps to seat the extractor like you're using a punch. Then insert into a impact, not a drill. Should pop out easily

Stripping a screw head is the best way to turn a 20’minute job into a 2-3 hr job...
Fuçking sucks
feking hell yeah its sucks major balls ?....imagine my horror when i went to strip a Team Durango dnx408t chassis down ... so small hexs everywere and every thing was red loctited ???.....took me feking aggggeeerees as almost every hex striped ???????.....

Drill the head of the screw off till it gives , remove the other screws , remove the part that will have the remains of the screw showing , vice grip it turn it out , I've used every method out there , all might work , this works Everytime, after all I own a compleatly redone raminator for crap sakes and two kratons , I'm sure folks no about the locktight problems of armma?? again , with the everytime

This is exactly how to do it. Plus you won't damage the chassis tray.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks