Supercharger on a reed motor ?? would it work ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the supercharger was really only used to start the engine. Forcing x times more air and fuel to ignite the diesel. Then the turbo or turbos kicked in.. If i remember correctly
Detroit had a n/a and a turbo version...when a detroit starts initially it "hunts" or has a blower surge until the cylinders balance out then she's smooth. Turbos on them just ment bigger power and more fueling

They wouldnt even start without the blowers. Remember that tiny little drive shaft on the 6-71's? Guy would call with an old truck say it cranks but wont start. Grab a spare drive shaft and head out. 99% of the time that was the problem.

Last edited:
Yeah I wish there was a way to fuel inject the zenoah. These small engines would easily double the power.I would imagine you would still need to have some fuel going in the intake for lubricating the crank.

They have these ignitions for sale if you want to control pump timings if possible. https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...drnDH06E4FRfreKcprSrWMACLyHFctgRoCaSYQAvD_BwE
You would really need to worry about advancing the pump too much. Somewhere around 20btdc would get hard to start. It's not a gas engine so it's less of a worry.

Caution on using those ignitions. Most of the ones will not run up into the high rpms we run. Most of the airplanes run around 8,500 rpm. Go 10,000 plus and they can not keep up. Some could if you used a 12 volt battery to do it. But atleast most of the ones I seen will not keep up in rpm range we need. They do make small fuel injection setups. But you will add a lot of weight with everything needed for it.

Caution on using those ignitions. Most of the ones will not run up into the high rpms we run. Most of the airplanes run around 8,500 rpm. Go 10,000 plus and they can not keep up. Some could if you used a 12 volt battery to do it. But atleast most of the ones I seen will not keep up in rpm range we need. They do make small fuel injection setups. But you will add a lot of weight with everything needed for it.
I'm talking about a diesel conversion, not an electronic injection. Although that would likely increase efficiency as well on these little things.

Diesel conversion. you might look at the Davis diesel setup they do on nitro engines. Might just work and is easy to do IF you can get the compression high enough

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks