Teflon Shoes Vs OBR Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
Spoiler: Teflon lost

I've been running a Lauterbacher 4 shoe offroad clutch on the stock 26cc Fuelie for years and it was amazing. Once I got the OBR 34cc Full mod broken in and running at peak output, I started seeing some issues with power delivery. At first I thought it was carb tuning, but I was wrong. This is after a few runs, tire changes and some adjustment to the clutch springs:

LBShoes_1.jpg

Here's a side view:

LBShoes_2.jpg

I'm not surprised in the least. It's been a historical discussion for a while. As a matter of fact, I had already ordered the FS racing metal clutch once I knew the teflon shoes were bound to take a crap on me. Despite not being surprised, I'm still kind of sad. This clutch was pretty frikking awesome on the stock fuelie, and it's dead sexy...

FS Clutch is already installed for a break in run this afternoon. Just thought I'd post this here for posterity and to stand as a warning to others!

That is a sexy clutch. Can it be rebuilt with different pads?

Unfortunately, they only ever made teflon shoes for this style of clutch. Other makers used to have carbon variants, but they're no longer available that I know of. I still have my 26cc stocker, if I find a use for that I might refresh the shoes and reinstall. The clutch is amazing for racing due to the adjustability and positive engagement, but there's nowhere around here to race anymore. ?‍♂️

who would choose Teflon shoes over a sweet OBR engine ?

LOL! No brainer indeed!

Now weve been down this rabbit hole with the stupid turtle snapper clutch too. If you want adjustability get an adjustable 2 shoe. You wouldnt use plastic anything in your 1:1 why the fek would you want to use it in your 1/5? In pulling we jump up to sintered ceramic friction buttons on a clutch. In rc we try to use carbon fiber and plastic and expect it to last. It just doesn't make sense. The nature of a centrifugal clutch will slip a bit till full release rpm is hit. If its slipping from being shot, then its, well shot. Jmo.

No need to get high blood pressure over it. :ROFLMAO: I specifically stated that I posted this up to serve as a warning and for posterity. (y)

I bought this clutch long before the full metal clutch was even around, and it served me well with the smaller bore motor. I knew it wouldn't last long on the OBR.

You can still buy replacement shoes for it. Everything has its usefull place. They are known for having heat issues used outside of intended original purpose.
They were for spec type racing and they were decent until to much power was added or extended use. When used as intended they were fine,technology has come a ways since then- but still ain't perfect.

Ah no wasnt trying for high blood pressure. Guess I was a tad overbearing. Sorry

LOL! No worries bro, we're all passionate about this stuff. (y) ?

You can still buy replacement shoes for it. Everything has its usefull place. They are known for having heat issues used outside of intended original purpose.
They were for spec type racing and they were decent until to much power was added or extended use. When used as intended they were fine,technology has come a ways since then- but still ain't perfect.

Yeah, for 23-26cc track use, they're fantastic. I'll probably rebuild it when I have nothing else to spend my money on. ? :LOL:

Time to go wear in the new clutch now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks