The 5ive-t on meth thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bizzer that's correct I'm flowing double the amount of fuel, so air needs to be restricted into the carb. I think it's a wt-668 it came stock with the cy26cc that came in the v1 5t.

I have a spiral diaphragm I'll be installing so the methonal does fek it up.

It needs twice tha amount of fuel to make the same power as gas, the benefits are cooler running engine, higher octane so you can run high compression and advanced ignition timing. Hey, rep... grab up a spare cylinder and toss it in the lathe cut the dome off amd make some new domes and shims so you can set the compression higher without messing up the port timing. 😉 should be a fun time. 😁

My nitro came today. It was a bit more energetic, end result.....CARNAGE! :LOL: 🤷‍♂️... it had ALOT of fuel going to it. I did 22oz of methonal to 10oz of nitro, i made 1 quart with 1 oz of castor oil. Ive read that castor oils needs to be used for nitromethane. It ran good and yea it scuffed the shite out of the cylinder but did not seize. I ran it wot toward me and it died. It looks to have been lean but i had the needles almost wound all the way out, looking back I may have had an air leak as some times when I let off coming up to me the rims would be higher and it would start to ting like a 2 stroke and it was apparent to me it had a air leak but I just sent it anyway. Been wanting to find a reason to put a more modded engine into it and really see what it can do.

Enjoy.20230613_191625.jpg20230613_191634.jpg20230613_191722.jpg20230613_191730.jpg 20230613_191248.jpg20230613_191321.jpg

Last edited:
That sucks! But. It costs money to learn.

I always have methanol but burning it in my rc’s doesn’t interest me. It’s fun to watch it happen. Don’t get me wrong.

Methanol will not mix with oil. That’s the worst part of trying to use it. But you have enough smoke so it was going through with the fuel.

Years ago there was a bunch of us trying it. I remember them being a bugger to start.

You can’t leave Any of that fuel in the engine it absorbs moisture and will rust out the bearings. Run some regular gas through it after you’re gone. This needs another carb. To be installed. It’s a lot of work.

I love what you’re doing. There isn’t a big pile of people doing it.

Thanks @Clubin tbh I don't think the carb couldnt handle the fuel volume I was requesting it to give. Believe it or not it was very easy to start even without the choke. The nitro I doubt hurt it, I'm pretty sure I had other issues..

Edit the carb I believe could not handle the fuel volume at needles backed off at max.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the feedback. What I've learned so far.

Methonal shines with more compression and ignition timing due to its high octane value.
On a stock engine it's not really worth the added cost of the fuel. It holds a higher thermal efficiency than gas and under more cylinder pressure it makes more power than gasoline can achieve before pre ignition.

Tuning a carb for Methonal when your used to Tuning for gas is demanding and its a crash course fast.

The known issues with running alcohol is hard starting when cold also issues with keeping the lubricating oil suspended in the alcohol is another known issue but ive yet to see that issue.. I may be lucky or its just the right conditions but with a non alcohol altered carb or engine with no choke it started pretty easy and without excessive labor.

I kinda threw 2 sheets to the wind with mixing the fuel and just wanted to let it rip and talking to sean he wants to see more oil in the fuel when I went to nitro as my ratio for oil was at 32:1 and its purely for keeping the engine together due to the violent nature of nitromethane.

My end thoughts are does it work absolutely, can you run 100% Methonal yea you can. Is it worth it? No not in a stock engine with zero supporting mods. Is it interesting, absolutely. What should be done next? Build an engine that is modded by todays standards and tip to the side of borderline questionable squish clearance and advanced timing that would beg for disaster in a gasoline engine. It seems meth gives you a small safety net with running lean as if it runs it means your flowing more fuel than you would on gas but it also can be misleading, with running Methonal you run the risk of cylinder wash which just hoses the cylinder wall of oil and can be an issue. Its a delicate balance and some thought and general understanding needs to be used when running these engines as its not plug and play like electric cars. Clearly I went outside my comprehension because I ended up with a blown engine, so I did something wrong and that's fine because I genuinely needed something to read and work from other than turning screws and sending it back down the road.

Last edited:
I am don't worry :LOL:.

Giving her the full send here, hoping to blow the cylinder off this thing like a top fueler but also wanting to report back good results.

no base gasket, a fresh 26cc zenoah piston, same piston ring and cleaned up the bore some and I can already feel way more compression..
20230614_182914.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks