The Beetle is back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of sickboy's fibreglass shells. it's actually black gelcoat under all the paint. right now it has no windows. I sold this car long ago. it's been through 3 different owners and now back to me.

it's got firehammer mt arms on it right now making it wider, but am ordering the 4wd conversion for it. this will be my 4wd road car and will share parts with the baja. the pipe was painted with engine paint. has 4 wheel mechanical disc brakes. I am going to have to sell some of the bling, chassis and such when I get the 4wd stuff. a pair of nutech gt5r upper and lower rear aluminum arms will go on.

it was my plan to make it 4wd way back but a buddy wanted a 5th scale and bugged me until I sold him the vw. it ended up at my neighbours and he bought my redcat rally (which I sold to buy the fg baja). then he decided to sell this one. it was boxed up, we put on rcuniverse, it didn't sell. it's been sitting here and when I saw the 4wd conversions on sale, well my mind was made up. I still have to pay for this thing but that shouldn't be a big deal

great stuff pipe it looks great, love some of the mods including that front plate that stops a lot of dirt getting onto the swing arms, those rims look just big enough for the brake kit LOL.

to be honest, the tub is actually worse for dirt than it helps. it's like a catch basin and fills up lol. it will be a much better road car...

well looks like the f1 is sold too. it's going to the guy that bought my first rally (and one of the vw owners hehe). I am selling him the f1 and taking my firehammer mt back with some cash. be stripping that puppy down and selling it.. that means the vw is paid off and I have enough to order the parts to fix everything.

so I'll have a bunch of parts for sale soon. couple chassis, couple sets of alloy knuckles. I'll keep some stuff to build the mercedes on the med wb chassis

this thing had touring car wheels on it. want to talk zero room. I bet half a mm above the brakes. it was close. these f1 tires are so hard they sucked on the f1 even in 105 degree weather. I tried everything to soften the rubber even soaking them in solvent. but 4wd they'll work.

Thats quite a collection you got there.The beetle looks fast just sitting there.Love the look of it .4wd on road should be interesting.

thanks guys. I sure hated selling it when I did. F1 guy backed out but it's all good. I was worried about paying some bills. spent a bit too much and ordered too many parts. managed to pick up some cash work though

4wd kit shipped, alloy upper and lower rear arms, new dogbones and small wheel squares. now I should be able to sink those wheels in under the wheel wells. my semi dif cups shipped with these parts so I'll have a couple builds to work on next week

some of the parts I take off the vw in the conversion will go on my other fg chassis. I have a medium wb and the mercedes clk gtr body. slowly but surely that will get built

Now today feels like Christmas to me. I woke up to 4 inches of snow, and then the Fedex truck stopped by and dropped this off. Mike wasn't kidding when he said it was a big box of parts... now just have to get my order here from www.Zerogravityrc.com so I can get at it. I want to finish the semi first since it's ripped apart, and I have parts for the semi and vw coming... semi will be a fast rebuild, just have to change the outdrives for the hardened ones, refill shocks and dif, and loktite the screws again and it's done

DSCI0001-1.gif
DSCI0002-1.gif

Started to conversion tonight. put nutech gt5r arms on the back. had to dremmel a little off the fg uprights to fit. I typed a ton on our forum so I'll just post pics
Stripped
DSCI0001-3.gif

Leftovers so far on the chassis. semi rear end I am robbing parts from (new ones coming, impatient)
DSCI0002-3.gif

oh ya, slide to edge, pull pin and slide dif down reast of way.
Rear dif
DSCI0001-6.gif

Belt channel/cover
DSCI0003-2.gif

Rear belt tensioner (3 bearings)
DSCI0004-1.gif

Front tensioner/bulkhead
DSCI0002-5.gif

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks