the bugs new mods coming soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renbar

the bugs new mods

my fg beetle has served me well and taken ages to get to the spec and standard i was after its proven itself quite reliable upto now the spec so far is

full alloy build including hubs wishbones engine mounts ect the only plastic parts left are a few rose joints
m&r alloy rollcage
front fg tuning cable brakes
rear tps layshaft hydro
carbon fibre radio tray
carbon fibre front shock tower/mount
fg 20mm fat shocks with alloy piston mod hpi oil 25wt fr/35wt rr
tps hardened gears stock ratio's
most if not all screws/bolts/nut are stainless

the engine was built by ian oddie in 2006 for himself [io06]@6hp plus over 3nm of torque
walbro wt 771 chokeless
23cc oddified 4 bolt heli with copper head+exhaust gasket plus zero drag seals
alloy insulator block
thicker msd ht lead
victory pipe
stock fg air filter set up using tps 3 layer foam plus another foam then outerwares

stock fg wheels with king cobra step studs all round

the next step in mods are on there way now for my xmas prezzies from wifey and my little princess thanks xxxxxxx

ive got the tps redrace v2 ignition kit coming with tps hpi wheel adapters and a set of tps own wheels there like desperados with bow tie type tyres a set of the 7pc hand tools and a piston ring

got a result with the wheels on special offer 20%off @69euros and the redrace kits on offer to 20%off that as well @135.??

so hopefully the piston ring peps the oddie up a bit the tps is meant to add 15% more power and torque across whole rev range and help it rev quicker like it needs more power,but the hpi wheels are slightly bigger so this may change my gearing a bit so should even things out and the better grip from the wider rear wheels and better tyres cant do no harm

if im lucky i will post pics of parts up before xmas if not looks like were waiting till xmas day i will try and get loads of fitting pics and vids running after new year

Last edited:
Will be as blingy as Keith's soon :cool: Your last mod will be a glass case.......:lol::lol:
Sounds awesome ren cant wait for the vids :D

no mate its far from a shelf queen its been used well over the last few years i think it would take months to make the alloy shine to trebors standards

parts came today about 1230 great service again in the run up to xmas from the pitstop-shop,,easy to order and good discounts on the tyres and redrace kit,,i managed to take some sneaky spy pics while wifey wasn't looking,,first thoughts on the parts are good everything looks bigger in reallife the wheels look strong and tyres look meaty and thick
the redrace kit feels well made and quite heavy i just hope it works as wel as it looks[not many good reveiws or info outthere on these tps redrace v2 kits yet]

wheel adapters again well made look nice these tps ones are about the only ones i could find that will let me still run my fg front cable brakes

tps 7pc tool set i have been wanting these a couple of years and never got round to getting,,i hope these are as good as they look im sick of using crappy hex keys they come with a 2 year warenty so not realy woried

the piston ring whats there to say its a 23cc 0.8m ring

enough of that heres the pics more to come after xmas for fitting and testing

Attachments

• Photo0286.jpg
    Photo0286.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo0287.jpg
    Photo0287.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo0288.jpg
    Photo0288.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo0289.jpg
    Photo0289.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo0290.jpg
    Photo0290.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 75
more sneak pics managed to trial fit the wheels and adapters what a masive change to the bug's looks ive got to mod the fronts as ive got the axle's with the collar's to stop pinching when doing up wheel it just needs 2-3mm so i can run my front disc's rears fit a1 cant wait to run this set up

Attachments

• Photo0291.jpg
    Photo0291.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo0292.jpg
    Photo0292.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Photo0293.jpg
    Photo0293.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo0294.jpg
    Photo0294.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo0295.jpg
    Photo0295.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 91
With the FG MT, the discs are inside the wheels.
Are these discs 'exposed to the elements' now, with those adaptors?
Perhaps it's normal with the 'smaller' 1/6 buggy wheels anyway?

I was just thinking of the discs picking up all sorts of crap once you start blasting it around in the dirt.

Al.

also the width of the car is about the same as it was with the fg wheels as tps made the adapters to runstock width,,they do look wide when the wheels arnt fitted but the hpi offset puts things right somehow

right i managed to get the adapters and wheels early[wasn't easy or cheap had to give wifey and daughter one off there pressies early]so ive got them fitted up i modded the adapters abit so i can still use the fg nut as before they only held on via the 2 grubs the grubs may at some point come loose[ive used blue locktight] but there still not coming off even if grubs come loose.

the bug now looks so different the front wheels make the car seem narrow when looking front end on but then you see how wide the rears stick out it then looks normal and something fg should have done out the box i cant wait to test but its going to still be after xmas,,,i realy wanted to test wheel swap then test it with redrace fitted so i can see the difference.

wagon has also taken the leap and changed his mcd ultimate v3 stock drive squares over to the newer v4 24mm hex set from rossendale models he got the full kit inc drive axles bearings ect,

its a nice kit but theres not enough thread on the shafts to use the hpi rims as there thicker[don't think mcd want you using other rims] any v4 runners outthere what none mcd wheels are you using wagon has got some hpi ones coming and were going to make them fit one way or another,,,we did fit one of my fronts on his car but only around 4mm thread was showing and not enough to run like it there is meat that can be removed from my wheels to gain a bit of thread maybe remove 2/3mm max it would help but not sure on the strength after,,,,any ideas guys il pass them on to wagon cause hes stuck

Attachments

• Photo0305.jpg
    Photo0305.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo0310.jpg
    Photo0310.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo0311.jpg
    Photo0311.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo0313.jpg
    Photo0313.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo0314.jpg
    Photo0314.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Barry the easiest way for wagon to have converted to be able to

use hpi wheels on his mcd ultimate,was to fit these uber adaptors as i have

used on one of my mcd ultimates.......the V4 wheels/tyres are not that good

as there arnt many to pick from

0033.jpg

0042.jpg

0072.jpg

K....

i told him about them adapters but he went for the mcd ones.he brought one of his wheels oud today[km outlaw front's/mtx style tyres allround] and he said that when its on the hub its only just showing the thread.i can see why the mcd wheels crack there cant be hardly any meat in the centers poor design from mcd i think just to stop you using other wheels and to keep you buying mcd ones that aint upto the job.

Barry it was only the 2010 ultimates that had the V4 wheels on

the uber adaptors are around half the cost to convert from 2009 ultimates,

seems a waste of money, if you cant get a decent wheel to fit.....

Wagon will have to remember the gearing from a standard race runner

to the larger V4 wheels

K....

the uber ones whould have been my choice to mate he got told i think that they can still damage the squares and got put off them

in wagons defense he needed new front drie axles anyway as his are shot plus the mcd kit does look the part and up dates his car

what makes things harder is his car is a early v3 race runner converted to ultimate spec i think most drive train diffs shafts are stock with locked center

it just don't look good for fitting any other wheels if we could find a set of hpi rear hexs with a 10mm dia center bore then its sorted but there 12mm i think

the early V4's which had these axles, are on around mk3 or 4 now

as there was not enough turning in them, there fore had a lot of

snapped axles:(

k....

had a couple of hours spare yesterday so i got the engine out of the bug for a routine ring change and to fit the redrace ignition kit

the ring was simple and the condition of the oddie inside was still looking good no real signs of any bad things happening to the plating,,cleaned up the copper gasket and good to go,it had what i thought to be good compresion anyway but once i tried pulling it when put all back together and back in the car it was totaly different and feels tight and new and you can feel a nice deep pop when you pull it over

the tps redrace kit was great to fit and a perfect one no issues only trying to find a home for the coil ive found a perfect place on mine at the rear i just need to make a strong mounting bracket everything wires in neatly and don't look out of place or any different its hidden behind the fan cover only thig seen is coil and red through the pullstart i managed to keep hold of my fat msd plug lead

i haven't got round to starting it up or testing yet as had no petrol but i have tested it for a spark and that seems ok and more visable and more spark than with stock coil/fly wheel set up,,,,but i have just gone and got a couple of litres of super unleaded and mixed up a bottle @30/1 as oddie recomended it for my 23 im going to try and fire it up in the next half hour or so and see

i took a few pics of the build the last pic shows oddie,s way of mounting the stock coil when using heli heads as they have no mounting points

Attachments

• Photo0317.jpg
    Photo0317.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo0319.jpg
    Photo0319.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo0320.jpg
    Photo0320.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo0321.jpg
    Photo0321.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 53
wow it starts but im fubar now its made me feel proper sick the things got 100% compression now thats for sure this engine has allways been a son of a female dog to start but now its worse i think a lot of it was due to being stripped down it never has started straight away no choke is the main reason

the engine sounded sweet for the 1 or 2 mins it was running realy poppy and a deeper tone to the exhaust so tommorrow if its not to wet im out testing and cant wait to give it a tune as lost my settings trying to start the beast up cant wait

Can you not secure the tps coil to the roll cage....its also prob the TPS ignition thats making it harder to start as the magnets are a lot stronger than the standard set up, should go well though once tuned up..

DSCF4119.gif

its cable tied at the mo to my m&r alloy cage its got the perfect spot ive just got to change a couple things so i can use 2 bolts to secure it so it cant come lose

i didnt think about it being the magnets it makes perfect sense they are much stronger than the stock ones but i did try the compression before fitting the redrace and you could feel it had improved adding them both at the same time cant help easy starting but once its had a tank it will free up a bit,,but to be honest its a 4 bolt race tuned 23cc with no choke wt771 and a vrc pipe its never going to start like a stock engine with a choke

also ive put me wagon wacker back on the front of the bug as it looked a bit funny with nothing there and sooner or later it was going to get destroyed so added the alloy bumper

Attachments

• Photo0323.jpg
    Photo0323.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Photo0324.jpg
    Photo0324.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo0326.jpg
    Photo0326.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 77
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks