Time to replace it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never soak any battery in WATER ! if needed discharge it with a resistor of some sort over time , a dead short like water can cause a explosion !!!!
Throwing it in a bucket of salt water is a recommended way of disposing a LiPo. You can have the opinion that you wouldn’t want to do that but it won’t cause an explosion

# Salt Water
This is not the most recommended method, because it’s slow and ineffective.

Salty water is conductive and it discharges the battery slowly overtime. It’s also said that salt causes chemistry reaction with the substances in the LiPo battery, and neutralizes the Lithium. However I am not a chemist, so I hope someone can verify this theory.

However the problem is that salt water might not completely discharge your lipo. Corrosion can take place, where the exposed metal of the connectors/wires will have a layer of insulator building up in salt water. Eventually the electrical conductivity would slow down, even stop the discharging entirely.

The advantage is that your battery is relatively safer to discharge as it’s immersed in water.

1. Get a plastic container which you can afford to throw away, fill it with cold water
  2. Mix it with salt and make sure it’s dissolved completely. I always use about 30g of salt per litre of water and that has been giving me good result
  3. Put the battery in the salty water, and leave it somewhere fire proof for two weeks. Depending how much charge it had originally, you might want to leave it longer
  4. Finally, wrap the battery with paper and it’s ready to be thrown away

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks