Time to tear this truck down and rebuild!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good choices in that pile of goodies!!!!! Absolutely use the v3-4 steering, eliminating all the extra links makes a big difference. Watch Owen on primal install for tips plus you eliminating the mounts on axel makes getting to shocks much better depending on where you mount them or go with dual shocks
 
@Mick Mars You were not kidding when you said some of these bolts are near impossible to remove... I used a torch, lots of elbow grease, and had to hammer a t10 torque bit into one of them. The front axle was extremely hard to got apart. The diff screws backed out, fluid escaped and seeped into the screw holes. This made those screws holding the axle together very tough to get out.
1023.webp1024.webp
The diff is looking rough, I'm nervous to see what the inside looks like.
1025.webp1026.webp1027.webp
The diff screws were grinding the axle housing
1028.webp
 
You are very fortunate that you caught it before it destroyed the axel housing. I've gotten away with a mild cleanup with a chain saw file in the bearing bores and a small 90 degree right angle grinder. That's a very familiar scene to me. Brake clean everywhere and inspection. If there available the v4 diiffs are way better but still need disassemble and fluid check. I use 1 million diff oil in everything. Just warm it with a heat gun or hair dryer to get it flow in. That all looks reusable but replace the screw on diff. Also the v4 bolt kit from primal is great for spares. I have replaced every bolt with v4 including the servo mounts to axel with the socket heads instead of flat head or panheads. There's only a couple spots where the socket heads don't fit.
 
Absolutely, sometimes I think the building is more fun than running!!! Yet at the same time when the motor fires up and my heart beats faster , especially with the Taylor 50 truck, it's a reminder of how blessed we are to have these wonderful things.
 
It kinda stinks that we spend large amounts of money on our rc products and have to take them apart brand new and check everything. The new 5t 3.0 has rear diff issue out the box. Even though it's a standard for me on everything I buy. One of my pet peavs is to almost always, depending on my stock, to order a bearing or bolt kit from primal. I usually use a pre paid card and pick up odds and ends like brake spring kits etc to use up card. Been times primal been out of stock for 6+ months on small and big stuff. Or when they have a sale . Looks good so far . I've been able to clean the housings where the diff screws crashed into it with a cut down disc for small air grinder. Dremmel comes in handy too. Keep at it with the updates.
 
Finally getting back to it. The previous owner though the servo brake servo was bad, so he replaced it with the 130kg servo... hmmm... at some point I may but one more of those and swap both the 130kg servos to the front axle.
1190.webp1191.webp
 
Critical area now.... did you get the steel upgrade servo saver setup. I don't know if that is stock on v3-4 . The original was aluminum and galled/bound easily. Your clearly skilled at this but make sure you time time the steering servos....take your time and be careful with the steering. Even the slightest imbalance will burn servos. There is plenty of adjustments to get a no buzzing servos anywhere in travel, both electrical and mechanical.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20261010_135644_Google.webp
    Screenshot_20261010_135644_Google.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Critical area now.... did you get the steel upgrade servo saver setup. I don't know if that is stock on v3-4 . The original was aluminum and galled/bound easily. Your clearly skilled at this but make sure you time time the steering servos....take your time and be careful with the steering. Even the slightest imbalance will burn servos. There is plenty of adjustments to get a no buzzing servos anywhere in travel, both electrical and mechanical.
I completely forgot about getting the steel upgraded steering post. I'll get one ordered. I plan on connecting all the wires and getting the servos aligned perfectly before I get the axle put back on.

I am not too thrilled with the v4 steering setup I got shipped to me. The included screws were too short and one of the heim joints were completely missing. Luckily I have plenty of spare parts on hand. I also added longer screws on the steering knuckles so I could put a lock nut on.1192.webp1194.webp
 
Last edited:
I did the same setup. I also ended up nibbling a bit of the ends by the jamnuts to clear that rims at full turn even after adjusting endpoints. I also removed the 2 top pieces off the top of axel to make bottom shock bolt access easier if you run dual shocks. I also set it up with a tiny bit of toe out to help with steering. The truck can literally turn on a dime in grass or lose dirt but not on asphalt where it tends to push. Keep the updates coming!!!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top