Two speed Monster.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a metal 46 and a used plastic 48. I'll never use either of them.. (I have 2 plastic 46's too). I run 42 and 44. I know we tried the ship back and forth once. did the post ever find that stupid motor mount? LOL

pm me your address again

two speed gear box MT

Alrite voo,
have you got any videos of your truck?do u think the 2 speed box is worth it?just a lot of people say they don't make much difference,whats you shout on them?
cheers
Heard from the guys at hobbythek germany re the two speed box set up.
they don't seem to recomend it on the MT if your going off road,they work in the same way as the smaller nitro truck versions,but with the nitro version you can hear the gear change and adjust the springs to reset the change from 1st to 2nd gear.with the big scale you can't hear the change over, and if your off roading all the time,your engine is constantly changing its rpm from idle to max rpm,thus your gears are constantly changing at their shift point,eventually blowing them up.if your going to use your MT on road/soft off road the 2 speed box will last,but for off road off road !!!! stick to the single speed and change the spur gear from the motor which is compatible with the large gear on the lay shaft,the stock MT is 14 on the engine spur gear,you can change it to a 16 or a 19 and use the stock gear on the lay shaft to give more torque to start off or climb or the 19 to give a little more flat top.the baja and the off road beetle 4wd both have 19 tooth spur on the engine and the stock 44 tooth ? on the lay shaft spur.both single spped box and they rip like hell.:clown:

A couple of months ago i grabbed a used 2 speed which came with 42/48 no idea what that'll be like? was on a 48 diff i think :blink:

As for stock i think its 16/48 clutch 14/48 diff (might be wrong)

On an MT it's a 50T on the diff, on a Marder/Baja it's a 48T on the diff. :)

With the large wheels I think a 46 will kill your pickup really, hence I stuck with the 48t (stock) and dropped to a 44T for second. The 42t are for road cars etc.

On an MT it's a 50T on the diff, on a Marder/Baja it's a 48T on the diff. :)

With the large wheels I think a 46 will kill your pickup really, hence I stuck with the 48t (stock) and dropped to a 44T for second. The 42t are for road cars etc.
Cheers Duck.
J.

Just got my hardened alloy gears through this morning care of TROJAN1 this fella said they were hardly used and boy was he right,there virtually new! He's a good trader,I would recomend (THANKS BUDDY). They are 46-42,I'll have a little experiment with different ratios'. The diff is @ 50 at the mo,just like what Ducky said so I'll see how these go.The engine is poop hot so I don't think I'll loose anything on pick-up with the 46 as a first gear.
Vids to come.
J.

VooDoo..put your single gears back on your car...Set the 2 spd aside for now
Have a go it it at another time..give it a month or two..You may just want to make it work....Yeah I know need more parts...I wnet thru the same thing....I did a total
rebuild on the 2spd I Have...I got it used..But the person who had the 2spd ran the poop
out of it...I have to replace every part....So I spent maga bucks to make it right...
I very well could have bought a brand new 2spd in the box never used for my repairs...
..Yeah I am going to install the 2spd on my car..Hell I am commited after all that money spent for the rebuild......I know your mad as hell..But set it aside for now...
I know you want it too work..Just set it a side..don't let the mechanical thing get to ya..
Like I say give it a go at another time....Then make up your mind if to sell then..
Just my opinion...Best to you..Slawhammer

turn the gear and use rubber the spacers for now. try it, you'll see what I mean

I have an offroad 2 speed in my semi. took some work but I got smaller gears on. I understand the anger. I have been having trouble getting mine to shift. I fixed the one problem then put back together to never shift again... I just put a higher first gear as in stock and ran for a while... finally toom it apart to realize I put the pawl in backwards... sometimes I wish I could trade this brain in

Last edited:
VooDoo..put your single gears back on your car...Set the 2 spd aside for now
Have a go it it at another time..give it a month or two..You may just want to make it work....Yeah I know need more parts...I wnet thru the same thing....I did a total
rebuild on the 2spd I Have...I got it used..But the person who had the 2spd ran the poop
out of it...I have to replace every part....So I spent maga bucks to make it right...
I very well could have bought a brand new 2spd in the box never used for my repairs...
..Yeah I am going to install the 2spd on my car..Hell I am commited after all that money spent for the rebuild......I know your mad as hell..But set it aside for now...
I know you want it too work..Just set it a side..don't let the mechanical thing get to ya..
Like I say give it a go at another time....Then make up your mind if to sell then..
Just my opinion...Best to you..Slawhammer

Wise words Roger, cheers.
J.

I'm running 'stock' 48 teeth on the diff, with 48 spur, 16 pinion.
The spur's ALWAYS VERY CLOSE to the upper arm.
Definitely NOT touching the arm, but if I don't take care positioning the engine, the suspension needs to be partially compressed (is in normal use) to avoid arm contact.
I've re-positioned and re-positioned the engine and can never get more than 1mm or so away, ensuring there's some 'play' between both the spur / pinion and diff / layshaft gears.
Is this normal?

Some interesting-looking geometry going on there!
It's worth bearing in mind.
I'm not having any problems so will stick with for now I reckon.

I'm looking at brake and wheel / tyre options for the New Year, so don't want to potentially compromise this just yet.
Alan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks