What adjustments would you make ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Mossor

On the track our 5B turns great off power but on power it wants to go straight. It is set at stock from build manual. I have a few ideas on what adjustments I going make but was wondering what adjustments you would do to help it turn on power ?

Last edited:
I could be wrong but wouldn't using a lighter diff fluid help? Because when you turn, you diff directs (or is supposed to) the power to the side with the least load, lighter fluid would let it do that easier/better, so I'm thinking you have too heavy diff fluid (Even though that's stock), I could be well of the mark here so if anyone wants to correct me, go right ahead

I could be wrong but wouldn't using a lighter diff fluid help? Because when you turn, you diff directs (or is supposed to) the power to the side with the least load, lighter fluid would let it do that easier/better, so I'm thinking you have too heavy diff fluid (Even though that's stock), I could be well of the mark here so if anyone wants to correct me, go right ahead
I'll be opening my hpi diff soon ??
Wanna do a TR upgrade ?? I'll bet my diff has very little oil in it? still turns like bastard?

Sorry if you thought I was talking about HPI 5B but I am talking about a Losi 5B I thought because I posted under the Losi 5B part of form everyone would know I was talking about a Losi 5B sorry, my fault, I should have said it was a Losi 5B. I'm going to try less rear toe, more negative camber in front & lighter diff oil & see if that helps. Thank you for your input.
The adjustment is called the throttle???
Tap off when you turning???
I have no problem racing around track & winning some races now & then, I'm just trying to figure out how to get around a little faster & take out some of the push it has under power.

Last edited:
I would say - obviously - lift, to transfer weight back onto the wheels, lighter oil will help the diff work (less understeer), and possibly consider softer springs.

Al.
I run arms level for ride height but have no problems with traction rolling so should have no problem lifting it. I plan to make adjustments one at a time so I can tell the difference each one makes. Will try lifting it first because that is the easiest one to make. Thank you for your input.
I have been racing 1/5 scale for a few years now but it was only 3-4 of us most of the time & I won a lot so I did not worry to much about set up but now there is a lot more people coming & I'm starting to get my but kicked so I'm starting to think more about set up.

I run arms level for ride height but have no problems with traction rolling so should have no problem lifting it. I plan to make adjustments one at a time so I can tell the difference each one makes. Will try lifting it first because that is the easiest one to make. Thank you for your input.
I have been racing 1/5 scale for a few years now but it was only 3-4 of us most of the time & I won a lot so I did not worry to much about set up but now there is a lot more people coming & I'm starting to get my but kicked so I'm starting to think more about set up.

That's NOT COOL!.......

What is really NOT COOL is getting beat on a track that I built in our back yard & been racing on for years. Too be fair the guy that beat me last weekend {three of us were racing HIP 5B's] has been racing RC's for many years & it is the same with the guys coming this Sunday, some just got there first 1/5 scale just this past week but have been racing RC for many years. The last rock crawling comp we had here I got out our two Losi 5T's & let anyone that wanted to drive them. Had at least 4-5 people tell me they are getting one, with two of them that just got there's this past week, one more is getting his Friday, & anther weighting on selling off some of his other RC's to get a 5T.

What is really NOT COOL is getting beat on a track that I built in our back yard & been racing on for years. Too be fair the guy that beat me last weekend {three of us were racing HIP 5B's] has been racing RC's for many years & it is the same with the guys coming this Sunday, some just got there first 1/5 scale just this past week but have been racing RC for many years. The last rock crawling comp we had here I got out our two Losi 5T's & let anyone that wanted to drive them. Had at least 4-5 people tell me they are getting one, with two of them that just got there's this past week, one more is getting his Friday, & anther weighting on selling off some of his other RC's to get a 5T.

LOL....that's what I was talking about earlier ,it just sounded funny the way you said it!

But hey ,the brite side ,is ,your getting new folks involved in the hobby ,it sounds like your getting
a club together ,that is a good thing!....(y)

What track? Where? ?
It is not a big track just 500' from start/finish line back to start/finish line with 20' wide lanes with two roller jumps & small drivers stand. We race every Sunday starting at 12noon & located at : 200 Carnegie Rd. Irwin Pa. 15642 but if you are using a GPS you need enter : 40.250022 -79.751844 as address or will end up across creek from up.

On the track our 5B turns great off power but on power it wants to go straight. It is set at stock from build manual. I have a few ideas on what adjustments I going make but was wondering what adjustments you would do to help it turn on power ?
Most off road vehicles have a toe-out setting in front. Try a slight toe-in and see if your turning on power gives you less understeer. (But, of course, try braking or easing off the throttle just before making your turns.)

Most off road vehicles have a toe-out setting in front. Try a slight toe-in and see if your turning on power gives you less understeer. (But, of course, try braking or easing off the throttle just before making your turns.)
I have not had a chance to test yet but toe in is a easy adjustment to make & it will be one of the first ones I try. Thank you for input, will take any help I can get & willing try any suggested set up changes [one at a time] to see what helps on our track.

I have not had a chance to test yet but toe in is a easy adjustment to make & it will be one of the first ones I try. Thank you for input, will take any help I can get & willing try any suggested set up changes [one at a time] to see what helps on our track.
You're welcome. I built a technical backyard rc track on which I run my Redcat Rampage XR. Initially, I ran it with its stock toe-out configuration and found it difficult to steer tightly in corners, but since I gave it a bit of toe-in it turns much tighter. That's why I suggested you do the same, being mindful of your brake and throttle input. PEACE!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks