What was your very first hobby grade RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first hobby grade RC that I ran ,I am not sure what it was ,but it was some type of pan car in 1988 ,it
had the 32 Ford coup body on it ,I bought it used at a swap meet for $ 125 bucks.

I only got to run it twice as I totaled it ,an I took it back to the guy to fix it ,he said the car wasn't met for
turns at 60 mph ,he said that it is a 60 mph drag car ,I sold it back to him for 50 bucks as I lost interest
of it!

In 1992 ,I got a Tamyia Boomerang from my B-law ,it had a modified Twister motor on it ,then I got my
hands on the RC10. buggy & a Team Losi Jr-2 ,I mostly loved the Jr2 after putting the modified Twister
motor on it ,it was extremely fast with the Sanyo 1400 batts!

I also had two Wellcraft 29 inch boats ,one I modified with the Graupner 700 Turbo flex motor ,running
mechanical speed control an two 7.2 packs at 14.4 volts to the motor ,it was extreme power for that time!

Ive also had several nitro airplanes!

Last time I had a plan it was in the trash ??? partly because it was a China piece of poop and partly because I had zero clue as to what I was doing ???

LOL....my first plane was a 36'' wing Cessna with a Os 15 ,I built from a kit .lot of Hrs .I wrecked it on the
ground run.....AKA......TRASH

Tamiya and Kyosho were huge back in the day. I never had a Kyosho though. Had a ton of Tamiya's, had a Marui Big Bear, Schumacher Cat 4wd a Top Cat, which I wish I still had... I know they reissued it, but they didn't make many of the originals. That front end design was a mess lol. I still have my Thunder Tiger EK4 Monster truck that came with a .70 heli engine. And I have a couple Mugen MBX 1/8 nitro buggies. They are all sitting in totes in my basement, haven't ran them in over a decade.
I used to race a kyosho outlaw 2wd truck. Was a ton of fun. Had a spare if one if my friends wanted to come along. Still have them. Although the blue one is complete and the purple one is more for parts.

It was one like tihis 1984 from tamiya got it used was very cool for 10 mins then there was the hour plus to charge up the pack??

Never saw one of those down here.
Looks cool
Tamiya and Kyosho were huge back in the day. I never had a Kyosho though. Had a ton of Tamiya's, had a Marui Big Bear, Schumacher Cat 4wd a Top Cat, which I wish I still had... I know they reissued it, but they didn't make many of the originals. That front end design was a mess lol. I still have my Thunder Tiger EK4 Monster truck that came with a .70 heli engine. And I have a couple Mugen MBX 1/8 nitro buggies. They are all sitting in totes in my basement, haven't ran them in over a decade.

Kyoshos were extremely expensive at the time.
I picked mine up for $100 from a guy who needed a quick buck.

Mine was the MTXL. I had a few RC's when I was a child. My favorite was the Jet Hopper. If I find one in fair condition I think I will get it, for nostalgias sake. I drove that thing down to the rims.

There was no inbetween the Jet Hopper and the MTXL. Only 25 years. I went from the king of toy RC's to the Jester of large scales.

Well Ive always been in RCs off and on. But first "hobby" grade ill have to say was kyosho rage. I know not really a top rc but it lit the RC fire bug in me and irt wasnt too long after i started fiending for more power and speed and upgrades which now led me to 5th scale and I think ive found my home:D

Tamiya Grasshopper 2. I then got into the Ta01/02 series touring cars and so my love for Rc cars went towards cars rather the buggies and trucks.

I've still got a few Tamiya though including a Super G Grasshopper 2 which I bash with now. I have restored the standard Grasshopper 2 from back in the day and it sits in its box

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_213637_613.jpg
    IMG_20190805_213637_613.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 3
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks