Where is the 1/5th scale hobby, dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice forums dieing more than anything. Facebook is usually booming with 1/5 related stuff. Look up 1/5 scale rc obsession on Facebook, it's a good page related to them .

I'd say alot of it has to do with money, not many want to fork out $1000 for a 1/5 or more when they can get 2-4 1/8 scales for the same amount. For me though I'll never go back to 1/8 scale after owning a few 1/5 scales.

I’m just wondering if 1/5 scale is dead? I haven’t been into my 1/5 for about 3 years and recently uncovered my 5ive-t and hip Baja as. After looking back on the old forums and searching eBay it appears there isn’t much talk and not a lot of 1/5 moving on eBay. Anyway I was thinking of getting a new 1/5 to try out but it makes me a bit nervous as I feel the aftermarket parts and just overall sales of the 1/5 is dwindling down and don’t want to have a cool ride that I can never find parts to or others with similar vehicles to race with? Am I totally off base? What’s the new bad ass 1/5 4x4 out there? Don’t really need another 5ive -t. Thanks guys!
I live in Loganville, GA. It is a city in a state that apparently has a low interest in RC cars/trucks. I live in a suburban ares where it seems I'm the only man with an RC car. I guess people look at me as if I'm an old idiot with two heads--a big retarded child. (I'm 67.) The point I'm trying to make is, that as far as MOST aroundd me is concerned the RC Hobby is worse than dead; it seems non-existent. But what does that have to do with me?? I am an RC fanatic and I have fun by myself. It is MY hobby and makes me happy. Yes, I have a fifth scale vehicle. I own a Redcat Rampage XR that I've converted into a truck. I've built a large technical track in my backyard and I have tons of fun by myself, and I know that in every part of the world there are people like myself: lonewolf RC enthuisasts. When I lose parts or parts wear down I go on eBay and I purchase more. I'm sure if I multiply myself by other lonewolf fifth-scalers, we'll come up to be a huge number.

Fot me the 1/5 scale hobby is very much alive!

The latest offering as far as fifth scale is the KRAKEN VEKTA 5TT (Trophy Truck) that will, I'm sure, give the LOSI 5T a run for the money.

Hold strong, my brother. Enjoy your hobby. It is yours and yours alone. Enjoy it that way. It's all that matters. PEACE!

I live in Loganville, GA. It is a city in a state that apparently has a low interest in RC cars/trucks. I live in a suburban ares where it seems I'm the only man with an RC car. I guess people look at me as if I'm an old idiot with two heads--a big retarded child. (I'm 67.) The point I'm trying to make is, that as far as MOST aroundd me is concerned the RC Hobby is worse than dead; it seems non-existent. But what does that have to do with me?? I am an RC fanatic and I have fun by myself. It is MY hobby and makes me happy. Yes, I have a fifth scale vehicle. I own a Redcat Rampage XR that I've converted into a truck. I've built a large technical track in my backyard and I have tons of fun by myself, and I know that in every part of the world there are people like myself: lonewolf RC enthuisasts. When I lose parts or parts wear down I go on eBay and I purchase more. I'm sure if I multiply myself by other lonewolf fifth-scalers, we'll come up to be a huge number.

Fot me the 1/5 scale hobby is very much alive!
The latest offering as far as fifth scale is the KRAKEN VEKTA 5TT (Trophy Truck) that will, I'm sure, give the LOSI 5T a run for the money.
Hold strong, my brother. Enjoy your hobby. It is yours and yours alone. Enjoy it that way. It's all that matters. PEACE!

Dear Harold,
Check out the new Losi 5ive-T 2.0.
Go to Horizon Hobby.Com
Will be available in October.
Really looks like a great truck, Stock Zenoah G320 and lots of goodies and new design.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.
P.S. Under $1,400.00

You will see exactly that in smaller towns. Alway been that way. Here in Dallas/Ft Worth there are a ton of people in rc cars of all types, a ton of airplane guys, probably 50 avid 700 size rc heli guys. I'm one of each. We have a number of hobby shops, flying club, several tracks, and street racer groups. We have sanctioned drag racing for rc at Texas Motor Speedway. Big group there. Sanctioned FPV racing, a turbine rc plane group. We have a 5th 8th, and 10th scale on road track. RC is as active as I've seen it since I moved here 21 years ago. DFW is a mecca for rc activities of every kind. This hobby is nowhere near dying.

You will see exactly that in smaller towns. Alway been that way. Here in Dallas/Ft Worth there are a ton of people in rc cars of all types, a ton of airplane guys, probably 50 avid 700 size rc heli guys. I'm one of each. We have a number of hobby shops, flying club, several tracks, and street racer groups. We have sanctioned drag racing for rc at Texas Motor Speedway. Big group there. Sanctioned FPV racing, a turbine rc plane group. We have a 5th 8th, and 10th scale on road track. RC is as active as I've seen it since I moved here 21 years ago. DFW is a mecca for rc activities of every kind. This hobby is nowhere near dying.
you are lucky that ther is so much happening just near you(y)

I’m just wondering if 1/5 scale is dead? I haven’t been into my 1/5 for about 3 years and recently uncovered my 5ive-t and hip Baja as. After looking back on the old forums and searching eBay it appears there isn’t much talk and not a lot of 1/5 moving on eBay. Anyway I was thinking of getting a new 1/5 to try out but it makes me a bit nervous as I feel the aftermarket parts and just overall sales of the 1/5 is dwindling down and don’t want to have a cool ride that I can never find parts to or others with similar vehicles to race with? Am I totally off base? What’s the new bad ass 1/5 4x4 out there? Don’t really need another 5ive -t. Thanks guys!

Hey brother 5th scale is still very much alive problem is it is just slowing down like everything else. there is several new models coming out and getting better. there is a 5th scale crazy man on you tube doing crazy stuff with his 5th scales his youtube link is Botajell check him out hes a good guy also if you have any questions he will hget back to as soon as possible.

Well its dead in areas like mine but imo in the uk it seems like 5th scale is everywhere. here in texas i have yet to see any rc car DRIVING. also, the hobby stores suck and are basically a traxxas warehouse. but the 5th scale hobby is not dead you just have to look in the right places.

Hey brother 5th scale is still very much alive problem is it is just slowing down like everything else. there is several new models coming out and getting better. there is a 5th scale crazy man on you tube doing crazy stuff with his 5th scales his youtube link is Botajell check him out hes a good guy also if you have any questions he will hget back to as soon as possible.
agreed botajell is a awsome dude (y)

Well its dead in areas like mine but imo in the uk it seems like 5th scale is everywhere. here in texas i have yet to see any rc car DRIVING. also, the hobby stores suck and are basically a traxxas warehouse. but the 5th scale hobby is not dead you just have to look in the right places.

In DFW we now have 5th scale off and on road tracks, a drag strip at TMS, and a good bit of new activity.

Hobby shops carry what they carry because that is what sells the most. The specialty stuff, not so much.

In DFW we now have 5th scale off and on road tracks, a drag strip at TMS, and a good bit of new activity.

Hobby shops carry what they carry because that is what sells the most. The specialty stuff, not so much.
Ya and unfortunately that stuff is Traxxas and ecx and stuff like that. Wish I lived over there cuz in manvel we ain't got nothing

The newest 4×4 is the vekta 5tt short course its sweet...I haven't noticed the 5th scale industry being slow But I been in only for a year but I'm working on my 2nd truck and I find any part I want all over the Internet and on eBay mostly eBay so to answer your question from my standpoint the answer is the hobby is well and alive

Ya and unfortunately that stuff is Traxxas and ecx and stuff like that. Wish I lived over there cuz in manvel we ain't got nothing

That is what most people that walk into a hobby shop buy. The cheaper stuff is what sells the most.

Being near Houston, I would think there would be tons of activity in Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks