Why run an off-road car on tarmac?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
I'm bored, and was watching some 5th scale vids on youtube. I'm seeing a lot of videos of guys running their off-road cars on road with slicks.

With the wealth of dedicated on-road large scale cars, I was curious as to why there are so many guys running their TLR and HPI Bajas on tarmac. So I thought this might make for a fun discussion

Are you doing this? What informed your decision? Was it model and aftermarket availability? Is there simply a lack of off-road spaces to run?

Are you not doing this? Do you see this as a valid use for a supposedly dedicated off roader? Could large suspension, on-road racing (i.e. with jumps and moguls) be a possible new thing for large scale racing?

Considering that last question. After watching a lot of big bore trucks and buggies running on flat asphalt surfaces, I have to wonder if maybe we are missing a possible "new thing" by not building out on-road/off-road courses in large parking lots. In the US, at least, there are plenty of those!

Imagine building a 5ive T or 5B with slicks or asphalt tires, but still running a course that has jumps, table-tops and moguls. I think that could actually be a blast!

What do you guys think?

I spend probably 70% of my time on road vs 30% off road. In my area its far more easy and convienent to find a large open asphault parking lot than it is to find a large open area of dirt.

I used to go to local BMX/skateboard parks in the area. As close as you're going to get to onroad/offroad without having to sink $ into building a track. Not ideal though, as it's hard to find a time when it's vacant and more importantly they're not really designed for LS vehicles and you're most likely to end up with some pretty epic damage at one point or another.

I would like the challenge of a good on road track, but the large scale seen around here is about nonexistent. The 2 LHS close to me push 1/10 and 1/8 off road. That with my time constraints, and having enough room to run on my property, just keeps me in the off road only. Would be a cool new thing if the idea caught on.

haha, I thought I was the only one to have “local” hobby shop sources, mine is an hour away. I do parking lots because it’s a blast to “drift” with the street tires, jimbo1 hit it perfect, traction sucks on stock street tires, so I have been “trying” the drift thing, it’s freakin awesome and a change of pace, I have plenty of off road places here in AZ, I have a buggy so being lower to the ground, I have the best of both worlds, at least in my mind haha. AnubisBC, I
like where you’re going with this and I’d love to see it happen!

I’ve got 2 5iveT’s
I got one set up for off road bashing.

My other 5iveT I have it with tarmac tires for playing around parking lots and up and down the street.

I’m in south Florida and very limited on where I can run my Rc’s

no tracks or hobby shops stock anything 5th scale

I'm bored, and was watching some 5th scale vids on youtube. I'm seeing a lot of videos of guys running their off-road cars on road with slicks.

With the wealth of dedicated on-road large scale cars, I was curious as to why there are so many guys running their TLR and HPI Bajas on tarmac. So I thought this might make for a fun discussion

Are you doing this? What informed your decision? Was it model and aftermarket availability? Is there simply a lack of off-road spaces to run?

Are you not doing this? Do you see this as a valid use for a supposedly dedicated off roader? Could large suspension, on-road racing (i.e. with jumps and moguls) be a possible new thing for large scale racing?

Considering that last question. After watching a lot of big bore trucks and buggies running on flat asphalt surfaces, I have to wonder if maybe we are missing a possible "new thing" by not building out on-road/off-road courses in large parking lots. In the US, at least, there are plenty of those!

Imagine building a 5ive T or 5B with slicks or asphalt tires, but still running a course that has jumps, table-tops and moguls. I think that could actually be a blast!

What do you guys think?
I'm basically an on-road rc guy with interests in Formula 1 and sports car racing. But I cannot afford a dedicated FG on-road car. So, I invested first in a Redcat Rampage XR and lowered the suspension to run on-road. Now I have a Rovan Baja 5b that came with dirt tires. I have since bought street tires and run it mainly on parking lots.

I'm loving all the feedback here guys!

I have a much greater appreciation for all the differing perspectives. From @Harold Bascom wanting a dedicated on road rig and getting what was available to him to many of you guys just not having an off-road space to run.

@crucialRC that vid is awesome! It has my brain stewing on ways to build jumps for use on pavement that can handle being hit by a large scale rig without weighing a ton. Maybe some sort of cleat on the back side.

I honestly wish that there were more folks locally to run with. I think putting together a "Street Cross" road course would kick some serious ass!

You NY and NJ guys have a really strong large scale community still. Someone should mention this to Botajell, get him involved in an East Coast version.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks