Yanmar ym146 referbish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seandonato73

King 🤴 Womble
PLUS member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
So I've acquired an old yanmar garden tractor. Got for free, from my uncle. Has a few issues but nothing that cant be fixed easily.
First off starter was trash, so I rigged it with parts from another starter I had. Got it to fire up. Sounds good and strong. I'm waiting on some parts to show, so I'll up date as I get them. I'll eventually paint it . Think it's going to get IH red, it's a real close match.
20200711_163843.jpg

So I've acquired an old yanmar garden tractor. Got for free, from my uncle. Has a few issues but nothing that cant be fixed easily.
First off starter was trash, so I rigged it with parts from another starter I had. Got it to fire up. Sounds good and strong. I'm waiting on some parts to show, so I'll up date as I get them. I'll eventually paint it . Think it's going to get IH red, it's a real close match.
View attachment 61171

I seen a lot of old equipment ,but this one tops the cake ,I admit that I never seen one of these until now!...:shame:

I believe it's an 87 model, which makes it a year older then me. 900 ish hours on the clock so it's far from shot. Few more pics for you fellas. Didnt get real far with it till this evening. I'll have to get some more pics later. I got the new starter this morning, it was a bust. Right everything but the bolt spacing. Gonna send it back and freak on the idiot that said it was right ?‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200715_171547.jpg
    20200715_171547.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200715_171537.jpg
    20200715_171537.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_171530.jpg
    20200715_171530.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 13
2 cylinder 2t75u-n It's even power shift like the big tractors, 3 ranges. Then you can shift from reverse and 2 forward gears with out the clutch.
Here's a few more pics.
Hot the dynamo rewired last night. Took it apart and cleaned it up. Soldered new leads on with new insulation. Bench tested it. 13.9 volts ac @2k rpm. Right in spec. Ran new 4 ga battery cables up from the rear. This thing had grounding issues so I ran an independent ground up to the starter. Got the clutch cable adjusted up, what a bugger. Had to make a few shims for the one end. Now it actually fully disengages. All the idiot lights and the alarm work save I need a sender for low oil pressure.
Here's the axle seal and the twine that took it out
15949167481546367636080817016387.jpg
Took the brake drum out and cleaned it up, was packed full of crud. Shoes look good so I'll put them back In.
15949168329839190071120875016569.jpg
Pics of the dynamo and cables
20200716_122034.jpg
20200716_122007.jpg
20200716_122037.jpg
And finally my clutch switch I have to deal with yet.
20200716_122047.jpg
I'll have to eliminate the safety start feature as the switch in NLA, and truth be told your an idiot if you try to start it with the pto engaged.
Pic of the engine
15949170949772885333631366350490.jpg
15949171382141182622039108635617.jpg
Like I said it's a wiring mess, but I'll get to that. Rear end, has diff lock as well as about 50% hooked up for 3 pt hitch. I'll likely fab up the missing parts. If it didnt have the bottom hitch frame I would have given this a pass, but as ill be putting a small loader on it, the 3 pt will come in hand for ballast.
15949172818244295566794914156842.jpg
I have a set of 26x12 tires I'll be trying to stuck on it. It looks like I have the room for them, but I'd like to still be able to use the belly mower if I can.

Last edited:
Lol....I remember the safety switch under the seats on the JD mowers ,annoying when mowing an you ass bounces
up an shuts down the PTO!...:giggle:

Lol....I remember the safety switch under the seats on the JD mowers ,annoying when mowing an you ass bounces
up an shuts down the PTO!...:giggle:
Those stupid switches really sucks. The things normal people have to deal with because of idiots. Its completely negated how the world handled idiots. They used to die before they had a chance to breed. Now look at the mess we're in because we limped them along through life.?

Bring on the the genetic cleansing ????
Those stupid switches really sucks. The things normal people have to deal with because of idiots. Its completely negated how the world handled idiots. They used to die before they had a chance to breed. Now look at the mess we're in because we limped them along through life.?

That instantly put the picture of the alligator laying there with its mouth open waiting for said idiot to just happen to look down his throat

Lol...I remember one time at work ,my co-worker was trying to start the mower ,poor guy is only about 4 1/2 feet tall an only
weighs about 90 pnds soaking wet ,he ask me to help him get it started ,I told him that he had to get on an jump up & down
on the seat an it should fire up ,he thought that I was clownin ,but he did it an it fired up ,he started laughing an ask with his
whiny voice ,does it have a short in it ,I said no ,you do ,he got pissed ,then I told him that he didnt weigh enough to activate
the safety switch!...

Normally all the safety interlocks are the first thing to go. I normally remove the wiring and all. I'll get to that with this thing yet. I normally don't mind the clutch interlock, just because both my kids can start and at least get the hydro lever to move, but as this is a bit bigger then a std garden tractor and parts are harder to come by, I'll likely make it so the clutch needs pushed in to start. The seat switches (2 of them on this) are history already. Just have to remove the wiring. I thought there was one on the brake, but it turned out to be a park light switch. That only activates when you have the brake lock engaged. I'll leave that too.
Got the parts manual and service manual in the mail today, as well as the axle seals. My plans for this weekend got scrapped so I'll have some more time to mess with it.

Got the new axle seal in, trans fluid swapped. Went to take my boy for a ride.... and no love. Started to back up then nothing. Wtf. Clicked it down into low range, flopped it in reverse started to back up real slow. Checked the trans pump pressure 250psi tad high but in spec. Then checked the clutch pack pressure. 20 psi. Way low. Got to looking. Here the relief valve was stuck open. Fortunately for me its accessible from a little plate under the battery in the top of the trans. Popped it out cleaned it, and the speed selector valve up. Plopped them back in. And low an behold it worked like a charm. I know you don't have to use the clutch for 1, 2 and reverse but it lets you know when it's in gear now. Since it was hotter then hell today I didnt get too much done to it. Got most the dents worked out of the hood, best I can. (Yes some filler would hide the rest but it's a tractor so nah) got two coats of primer on the hood. Wait till I'm home tomorrow to sand it. Sorry for the crappy pic. It's getting late
20200719_210530.jpg
Ps. Anyone know of anyone that can do some decals for me, at a reasonable price? These are NLA and haven't even able to fine them new old stock.

Tr
Got the new axle seal in, trans fluid swapped. Went to take my boy for a ride.... and no love. Started to back up then nothing. Wtf. Clicked it down into low range, flopped it in reverse started to back up real slow. Checked the trans pump pressure 250psi tad high but in spec. Then checked the clutch pack pressure. 20 psi. Way low. Got to looking. Here the relief valve was stuck open. Fortunately for me its accessible from a little plate under the battery in the top of the trans. Popped it out cleaned it, and the speed selector valve up. Plopped them back in. And low an behold it worked like a charm. I know you don't have to use the clutch for 1, 2 and reverse but it lets you know when it's in gear now. Since it was hotter then hell today I didnt get too much done to it. Got most the dents worked out of the hood, best I can. (Yes some filler would hide the rest but it's a tractor so nah) got two coats of primer on the hood. Wait till I'm home tomorrow to sand it. Sorry for the crappy pic. It's getting late
View attachment 61291
Ps. Anyone know of anyone that can do some decals for me, at a reasonable price? These are NLA and haven't even able to fine them new old stock.
Try a local wrap shop that does commercial vehicles. Something that small should be cheap.

I contacted a guy this past friday, that did some decals for our trucks / equipment at work. When he saw what it was for he didnt seem interested. Said his minimum set up charge was $75.00 and it would most likely cost more then that. I thought that was steep for 4 hood decals. 2 are pretty small. Theres one other place I have to try here local. They don't have email listed so I'll have to stop by and see if they can/ will do it for a reasonable cost. Never thought this would be such a pain.

I contacted a guy this past friday, that did some decals for our trucks / equipment at work. When he saw what it was for he didnt seem interested. Said his minimum set up charge was $75.00 and it would most likely cost more then that. I thought that was steep for 4 hood decals. 2 are pretty small. Theres one other place I have to try here local. They don't have email listed so I'll have to stop by and see if they can/ will do it for a reasonable cost. Never thought this would be such a pain.

If the decals wasnt that bad looking ,I always leave them on an not touch them in the surface prep ,after shooting paint ,I would
take a rag soaked in thinner an carefully wiped the paint off of them ,that always worked for me an kept the originality looks!

Hmm, perhaps a online decal shop, or a little upstart hungry for work? You're probably gonna get a bit hosed for the exact reason that guy told ya. Takes longer to prep than its worth. You could always mask them off and paint em on and do the work yourself.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks