2.0 tuning session mishap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
so after work I decided to put a fresh spark plug in the 5ive 2.0 and start adjusting the tune on it, I had a solid 30 minutes of run time and went to doing some bursts down the road to see how it was on the top end. About the 4th run down the road I go to turn around to come back and it stopped and just revved up with no forward movement... I figured I ran it a little hard in the lot across the street and blew the clutch on it but I didn't believe i wailed on it that hard. So I took it apart to find that there was not a drop of locktite holding the clutch holder to the crankshaft. The clutch holder was hanging on by a few threads and. Everything is OK no damage. At this point since I have the clutch out is it worth upgrading to a 8k clutch? Can I just buy an 8k clutch spring and swap my stock one or is there more to just swapping springs?

Video

Last edited:
Perfect just what I wanted to hear!.... and to be honest I'm only upset at the fact that no loctite was used on that single bolt.. for $1500 I expected a little better quality control for that brand...other than that its a great truck... i see that DDM has the 8k spring but it doesn't say it fits the g320rc .can anyone point me in the right direction please

Last edited:
If its listed for a stock clutch 54mm I think, it will fit. doesn't matter what brand rig it's in, or what engine.
And yeah, you would think you would get a little better, but that's not always the case.

+1 for reading stock zenoah 54mm clutch being 6k...and I saw the metal shoe clutch, I guess I should of asked if anyone has used it.
Probably did...i don't see a red spring here?‍♂️
20200824_204000.jpg
Thank you for catching that! I checked the parts manual and you are in fact correct. I'll try to call horizon hobbies tomorrow and complain that not only did the clutch practically fell off the crank and that they skimmped on the clutch!
You got screwed. :ROFLMAO: LOSB5039 is listed as the stock clutch per the manual.
and i apologize for the run on single post showing multiple responses for some reason the site is allowing me to post a new reply but its putting it up to the last reply???

Last edited:
It's crazy how that came off,mut have been a Monday or Friday build.I know when I removed mine it was real tight. Definitely check and locktite all your screws or eventually poop starts falling off.

I was just kidding about being screwed. I'm pretty sure that is a 8k spring just in raw finish. Manufactures cut corners everywhere on the final product for maximum profits. I think the reason they powder coat the springs is two-fold. One for us the end user to easily identify the rpm range and two because it looks good in retail packing. How else do they justify charging $55 for a $20 clutch? :ROFLMAO:

I was just kidding about being screwed. I'm pretty sure that is a 8k spring just in raw finish. Manufactures cut corners everywhere on the final product for maximum profits. I think the reason they powder coat the springs is two-fold. One for us the end user to easily identify the rpm range and two because it looks good in retail packing. How else do they justify charging $55 for a $20 clutch? :ROFLMAO:
Probably $5 realistically

So I called horizon and they are going to warranty my clutch and replace it with the "correct" orange 8k clutch that it should of came with....the tech was nice but it was hard for him to understand that something never out of the box had the wrong part installed...finally he understood and my claim is being processed.

Im wondering if there was a batch of these 2.0's that suffered production limitations with the covid-19 issue and the right clutches were out of stock at the factory and they just stuffed stock zenoah clutches in there hoping people wouldn't notice? :unsure:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks