8k clutch install question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
so i installed the "stock" 8k clutch that horizon sent. My question is is it normal for a slight bog from idle to wot with this clutch? I know the engagement point is higher so maybe the motor is bogging slightly due to loading the drive train at a higher rpm? I've tuned leaner and I've tuned richer and I'm still having a very slight bog.. the plug is a dull grey/ black...still hunting for that paper bag color.15988181957018089485443617712461.jpg

I know tuning for smoke doesn't mean much..i have a slight steady stream at wot..its got punch off idle.but that transition from low rpm to high is bothering me lol.....air filter is spotless this is my 5th time running it since new...leak wouldn't surprise me ive had bolts back off this thing already
Im adjusting it now and it seems to be getting better. And to be honest i think I prefer the clutch that came with it versus this one...its either on or off..the old one had a more usable rpm range for what I do with it...

I just installed a fresh plug..maybe I'm a little fouled on the old..ill report in a few minutes
So i achieved a slight browning on the plug. I know it was a short run but I'm sure my neighbors aren't thrilled to here this buzzing around lol.so id say the tuning is fairly close...ill have to drive it some more to break in the clutch...its been awhile since I've ridden 2 stroke dirtbikes but if I recall its almost behaving the same when whacking the throttle

Last edited:
I had similar problems. My filter was over oiled. It really doesn't take much oil beyond a few drops. I do not know about any leak issues or really what your bog sounds/looks like. Mine was right at the start of movement on the throttle and I had a big jump in power between 1/2 to full throttle. It was like a turbo kicking in. I cleaned the filter and that corrected a lot of it. I then went and rest my needles and convinced myself that I didn't need to move them beyond 1/4 turn in either direction to get a good tune. I also let my idle screw just keep the engine running as I began my tune. I used my LSN to really control the rpms at idle. The majority of my bogging and the jump in rpms were fixed at that point. I did listen to others on here and installed a pipe to further help the low rpm grunt. The pipe has thus far been a huge jump in performance. I am no pro by any stretch so I had to rely on the expertise here and everyone was very helpful. My tuning thread isn't that old and it may help you out if you look it over.

Thanks for the info! I agree with the turbo feeling. I do have a tuned pipe and I ran it right out of the box with it. I know what you mean as the lag were the rpm climbs a little then dips down then full power comes on. I haven't messed with the stock filter being oiled but it seems a consistent and not over oiled. I did put on an outer wears pre filter on the filter but I doubt thats the issue since it was on prior to the clutch. Since I don't have a way to tell rpm I try to get close to the 4k rpm stock idle...i just feel that my tuning window is very narrow in either direction..to rich and it lacks snap..to lean and i get bad off idle bog.

@Seandonato73 . I think you said it best looking at @sigfla thread for his issue..its the transition from low rpm to the powerband. I don't think it's a tuning issue with the carb its how a different clutch is acting that makes it appear to be tuning. And yes I agree with the small adjustments I reset the needles and adjusted with a new plug and i believe i have the tune right i think its just the nature of how the engine is responding to the clutch engaging. Id say when the clutch grabs at a higher rpm the rotating mass of the engine is not great enough to overcome the higher engagement and is pulling the rpms down slightly till the transition into the powerband can be achieved...just my observation...

I know tuning for smoke doesn't mean much..i have a slight steady stream at wot..its got punch off idle.but that transition from low rpm to high is bothering me lol.....air filter is spotless this is my 5th time running it since new...leak wouldn't surprise me ive had bolts back off this thing already
Im adjusting it now and it seems to be getting better. And to be honest i think I prefer the clutch that came with it versus this one...its either on or off..the old one had a more usable rpm range for what I do with it...

I prefer the stock 6k clutch for the same reason.

I had similar problems. My filter was over oiled. It really doesn't take much oil beyond a few drops. I do not know about any leak issues or really what your bog sounds/looks like. Mine was right at the start of movement on the throttle and I had a big jump in power between 1/2 to full throttle. It was like a turbo kicking in. I cleaned the filter and that corrected a lot of it. I then went and rest my needles and convinced myself that I didn't need to move them beyond 1/4 turn in either direction to get a good tune. I also let my idle screw just keep the engine running as I began my tune. I used my LSN to really control the rpms at idle. The majority of my bogging and the jump in rpms were fixed at that point. I did listen to others on here and installed a pipe to further help the low rpm grunt. The pipe has thus far been a huge jump in performance. I am no pro by any stretch so I had to rely on the expertise here and everyone was very helpful. My tuning thread isn't that old and it may help you out if you look it over.

I believe you . But I also really wonder about that after seeing Z's air filter. His is dripping with oil. Really wonder how his is even running with that much oil on the filter.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks