Anybody have a son that just isn’t interested in the Hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_h_d

Amazingly my 12 year old has little interest in anything remote controlled. I think it’s the damn electronics and video games.

My 5ive T shows up, get it up and running, yet he has absolutely zero interest in playing with it.

for xmass I bought both of us a Kyosho rerelease ultima kit. He seemingly enjoyed building it. Initially ran it a few times. But now rarely likes to take any time to run it.

kids these days are a mystery. If my dad showed up with a monster 1/5 scale I would have not been able to stop talking about it and constantly want to run it.

Yup my two sons 17 and 16 and my daughter 13 have no interest in the hobby. I bought them 3 mini e revos a few years back and all they did was collect dust. Then a tamiya lunchbox to get the same results. They just like gaming on systems and on pc.

Yeah I see tho, I think that sucks, small little cars can’t do much, gotta start strong but not too strong, at least a 2wd pede IMO, then after that live to brap (or brushless then brap)
I started off with nitro was only like 4
If I could start over there would be no video games in my house. Because I was a gamer I got them into gaming not knowing that would be all they wanted to do. They have a pretty nice setup also they don't even want to go out side

My kids would rather be outside doing whatever then in the house watching TV or playing video games. It's all in how you raise them. Don't blame the internet, video game, TV or whatever else. Your the parent and you decided at what age they had access to what. Try killing the internet in your house for a day. Two things will happen. Everyone will be pissed off and they will get over it and do something else. I have this fight with my wife all the time. She grew up with money and had everything, I was dirt poor. Had very little. I don't let the kids play video games, watch TV, or play on the internet very often. They go play outside, help me with whatever I'm doing, you know like we all used to. Meanwhile my wife is just as happy to let them veg on the TV or computer/tablet all day. Screw that.

Man this is bringing back memories. Got into 5th scale around 19-20. Thought it was a huge flex having a 3k European rc car that I didn't give a chit about sending. Then dropped the hobby until I found a group to race with. Changed my world when it comes to rc. Competition is everything! It makes the money and time all worth it. Sitting in the back yard with your dad has to be super lame sry to say.

Give your boy his Kyosho and let one of his friends run yours and I bet he will have a blast!

I have bought my kids slashes, stampedes, and they drive them a little bit. My son mainly drives his at the skatepark. I picked up an little Axial SCX-24 1/24 scale crawler and it actually gets the most use. My 2 girls (3 and 5) drive that little truck all over the house. They take it outside and drive it in the sandpit. The problem with my son, who is 8, wants to be great at driving but gives up almost instantly because it takes effort and practice to get better.

Not everyone is interested in the same hobbies , even if it's your son 🤷‍♂️ cant say I'm interested in everything that my dad is, even though I grew up all around that type of stuff.
yea that's true, I never picked up the habit of taking 15 years to pick up a pack of cigarettes xD

Last edited:
My son is about to be 18, never showed intrest in the hobby at all. We have had RC planes, helicopters, trucks and such in the house since before he was born. He naturally took to computers and by 15 was building his own gaming PCs. He has computer and book smarts for days, which I figure is good, as it seems to be the way of employment futures for good jobs. My daughter who is gonna be 14 is an RC freak. I noticed her genuine intrest when I was flying at our local RC airfield when she was 3 or 4. She always wanted to come out, she always wanted to help start the nitro helis and was full of legit questions. We spend a decent amount of dad and daughter time wrenching on rigs, she maintains her own Stampede and has picked up basic mechanics and understanding from it. She found it super amazing how there is "so much the same" from her lil Stampede to wrenching on the Raminator. I.E. basic concepts just in bigger scale. She loves going to the park and having an afternoon of bashing and thinks of it as a treat when she gets to run the Raminator. My step daughter who is also 14...absolutely zero intrest in RC as well lol.

My son is about to be 18, never showed intrest in the hobby at all. We have had RC planes, helicopters, trucks and such in the house since before he was born. He naturally took to computers and by 15 was building his own gaming PCs. He has computer and book smarts for days, which I figure is good, as it seems to be the way of employment futures for good jobs. My daughter who is gonna be 14 is an RC freak. I noticed her genuine intrest when I was flying at our local RC airfield when she was 3 or 4. She always wanted to come out, she always wanted to help start the nitro helis and was full of legit questions. We spend a decent amount of dad and daughter time wrenching on rigs, she maintains her own Stampede and has picked up basic mechanics and understanding from it. She found it super amazing how there is "so much the same" from her lil Stampede to wrenching on the Raminator. I.E. basic concepts just in bigger scale. She loves going to the park and having an afternoon of bashing and thinks of it as a treat when she gets to run the Raminator. My step daughter who is also 14...absolutely zero intrest in RC as well lol.
My daughter even though she is not in the hobby loves to hangout with me as well. Boys once the get in there teens usually want to do there own thing.

its a bit mixed with mine... I had nitros and was timid to let them drive (way too fast)... now my son is 14 and I got a pair of Bajas... he enjoys running them with me but he is a home body... sometimes I fight to get him out just because he likes being home and reading...
each kid is different.... its up to us as parents to find something they like and bond with that if possible... cant force them into RC or else they may just resent you for it... it may be something they like once they are older and more mature... leave the door open for that.
For those of you who have daughters who love RC - cherish that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks