Building a racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

I have been super busy and not had time to play with my buggy. I finally took it out the other day and realized I want to build it for the purpose of racing. I know that that means I need to be looking at building something light and fast with good traction. I have already ordered a set of Hostile slicks for tires and are looking for a recommendation for lightweight wheels. I'm also going to install a tuned pipe, RPM upper and lower control arms (front and rear). I MAY do a OBR engine (but that would be the last thing). I'm also curious about the correct gearing. Am I going in the right direction? What other recommendation and the more experienced make for me? I have all winter to make this happen, so things are going in phases.

I'm planning on racing it on road. I have read about dropping the suspension. I'm reading about various ways to do that. Other than adjusting the ride height, what can be done to stiffen the suspension?

Stiffer springs or thicker shock oil, experiment with different sway bars till you get it to your liking. less caster, camber. Don't over power the car with a big engine, remember it's 2wd.

Oh yea, got to spend time at the track to experiment with different setups until you get dialed in, comfortable with your ride and turning consistant laps. Good luck Preach.

You are back! Awesome, its cool you kept your ride.

Why the sudden need for upgrading? Did you get smoked by a HPI or even worse, a Rampage Dunerunner?

Preach, while you are at the track, keep checking your tires and how they are wearing and adjust camer angles till your tires are wearing evenly, you could also do this with a set of old tires, check steering EPA so as to cut down on over and under steering.Try to lighten the car as much as possible with out weakening it, get shock towers that will let you lay the shocks down a little, will help with traction. good luck to you, and post a pic of your ride to see how it came out.

Thanks guys. Hopefully this week, my tires and foams wil arrive. DDM had a DOTD on the slicks so I went ahead and ordered them. I'm thinking the FLM front shock tower will allow me to lay the shocks down a bit.

How effective is putting some fuel line sections on the shocks to lower the suspension. Seems like a cheap enough solution, but I'm more concerned with doing it correctly.

You could try some front shocks on the rear end, see if that lowers the car a little or you can add equal lenths of fuel tube in the shocks. Just suggestions Preach, hope some of these point you in the right direction.

I'll be going in the opposite direction, i'm looking towards the class 1 buggy look on mine. Just ordered the sc rear bumper and add the class 1 body next month, that comes with a roll cage and mounts. Good luck with your project, hope it turns out well for you, OSKYGT.

What I'm finding is that these buggys are too "generic" and take some work in one direction or the other (racer, basher) to get the most out of them. I'm thinking when I'm done with mine there will be very little KM left.

The only thing left on mine that is KM, are the shocks and towers, tank, radio box and wing, everything else is RPM,HPI or aluminum. All that is left to do is convert it to the Class 1 buggy like I mentioned before, and for now with buggy tires (all terrain) from KM, nice tires like the look of them and they grab good on pavement, don't know about off road, but that we will see pretty soon.

No matter what I install on mine, it will always be a KM, i'm not ashamed or have to hide from the OTHER guys. Proud of my ride.

It's your buggy and you are the only one who needs to be happy with it. Nothing at all wrong with KM parts. KM is a good company and provides us with an alternative to the higher priced option.

The only thing left on mine that is KM, are the shocks and towers, tank, radio box and wing, everything else is RPM,HPI or aluminum. All that is left to do is convert it to the Class 1 buggy like I mentioned before, and for now with buggy tires (all terrain) from KM, nice tires like the look of them and they grab good on pavement, don't know about off road, but that we will see pretty soon.

Which class 1 kit are you going to use?

You are back! Awesome, its cool you kept your ride.

Why the sudden need for upgrading? Did you get smoked by a HPI or even worse, a Rampage Dunerunner?

No one smoked me. I have been so busy I had forgotten how much I love running and tinkering. The need for upgrading comes from the fact that when looking at my buggy I realize that I need to pick a direction and go for it. Besides, upgrading is so much fun!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks