Building a racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Preach, hope you're well and everything is fine on the home front. See ya around, stay cool.

Preach comes and goes in the forums, it could be a week, month or years when he decides to come back. This last time he showed up out of the blue with all kinds of projects, and then he shuts down.

I'm still around. Had some other projects that took my "play money". Still working on the racer. I have the tires and foams. I'm on the search now for lightweight wheels. I'm going to start lowering the suspension and looking into a tuned pipe (right now I like the DDM Dominator).

Yep, and back on track. Sitting here looking wondering what my next step needs to be. I'm thinking that I need to work as much as I can to reduce weight. I like the Pro-Line Badlands wheels, but they look like they are going to be kind of heavy. Anyone know of any lighweight wheels for this build?

I thought the major weight was in the tires and inserts ?, maybe aluminum or titanium screws for the bead locks, cause those wheels are lookers.

Perhaps, I'll go with the Badlands since I can't seem to find anything lightweight for racing. I was watching a car building show on TV the other day and they were installing a new stall converter and they were saying that it would allow the engine to rev up closer to the powerband before engaging the transmission. I began to wonder if this was the same principal with the clutch springs. Right now I think that my Baja has 6k rpm springs. Am I right: would I get better off the line response by moving up to a 8k-9k clutch springs???

20170106_154730-X4.jpg

Decided today to work on lowering the baja by using fuel line on the shock shaft. The top one is the modified shock. The bottom one is the shock in stock configuration.

You can adjust the the rods on the upper arms by making them shorter or longer, there are also spacers in the front upper arms you can change out..You will see the angles of the tires lean in or out depending how you adjust them, so your tires wear evenly.

20170107_143710-X4.jpg

20170107_143759-X4.jpg

This is with the front shocks rebuilt and reinstalled. Clearance is about 1 inch from desktop to bottom. I really like the look. Now to do the back ones. I'll order a camber gauge later but won't worry about adjusting camber until all suspension work is done.

20170107_174531-X4.jpg

Completely lowered, front and rear. It's a very cold day here today so I decided to get at last the lowering done. It is really in the weeds now and has little bounce on the suspension. I used 40w oil in front and rear shocks.

man that came out nice and level, what kind of body are you thinking about using? Do you have sway bars on ? Nice work Preach.

I am pleased with it. The front sway bar is broken, but the rear one is intact. Right now it is pretty stiff with very little suspension travel at all. I think that is a good thing. I'm going to order new sway bar links and I'm thinking 10k clutch springs. I had not ever considered what body to use. I think I'm too far from that right now :) I also need to so some studying on the gear ratio.

Last edited:
Yesterday the mailman delivered my new wheels (HPI Superstar wheels in black). I also got my Killer RC power start (already had the bit for my blower). Installed the power starter and it works like a champ. Tomorrow I'll sit down and assembly my wheels. I took my clutch bell out and I think my clutch is a little worn. I'm going to order an 8k clutch and see how I like it (I'm thinking that locking up a higher RPM's will launch better off the line. I'll post a pic with the new wheels and tires when I get them assembled.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks