Clubin’s 12s MCD build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely no need to run 2 speed with brushless. If you run onroad gears you could technically get a little more top end since the high gear is 27/58 vs 25/60 on single speed but electric has no benefit of the 2 speed and would probably just break stuff. My brushless rally has an MGM/Lehner setup in it and will do over 100mph easily on just 12s. Super fun rig but have to be careful with the tires.. I've blown a few of them :D

Nope. No plan of that.

I’m going to Use the x-snap gears though. Just space them accordingly to use 25/60. Can’t get this part any where!

But it’ll work fine with the x-snap gears. Just wasn’t my first option.

Attachments

• IMG_8896.png
    IMG_8896.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 5
Nope. No plan of that.

I’m going to Use the x-snap gears though. Just space them accordingly to use 25/60. Can’t get this part any where!

But it’ll work fine with the x-snap gears. Just wasn’t my first option.
I just went through a nightmare of a time over that part. Motor shaft snapped inside of mine and it took me weeks to get a replacement. Cardinal racing is supposed to restock like everything any day now but I ended up ordering the rovan equivalent motor output shaft from aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800731401552.html?

The only difference between the parts is mcd uses 2 grub screws and the rovan part is only 1. Hope it helps bro!

Wait! I typed all of this and then I remembered I now have like 4 of these output motor shafts because I ordered 4 from aliexpress as spares and the shipping was taking so long so I ordered a rovan electric conversion kit that came with the part and it got here FAST.

I can help you out and send you one if you pay for shipping. Let me know! I mention this because I actually asked Maher from cardinal racing if the x snap version would work for me and he basically told me no.

how many horse power?
What’s the formula?
Horsepower(hp)= Voltage x Amperage x % EFF x power factor x 1.73/746.

Voltage is 50v fully charged
Amperage is continuous 300a burst 2000a
Efficiency of a brushless motor 85-90%

That’s all I know.
I just went through a nightmare of a time over that part. Motor shaft snapped inside of mine and it took me weeks to get a replacement. Cardinal racing is supposed to restock like everything any day now but I ended up ordering the rovan equivalent motor output shaft from aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800731401552.html?

The only difference between the parts is mcd uses 2 grub screws and the rovan part is only 1. Hope it helps bro!

Wait! I typed all of this and then I remembered I now have like 4 of these output motor shafts because I ordered 4 from aliexpress as spares and the shipping was taking so long so I ordered a rovan electric conversion kit that came with the part and it got here FAST.

I can help you out and send you one if you pay for shipping. Let me know! I mention this because I actually asked Maher from cardinal racing if the x snap version would work for me and he basically told me no.

I ordered a couple of those adapters to run the square McD gears off Ali express. Should be here end of next week.
I sent Maher a email this morning about using the x-snap pinion to run a 60t spur. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Other than maybe an alignment problem.
I have the 24/25/26 gears coming from Taylor.

Last edited:
Thats the same output shaft I'm using. Maybe I should have added a hole for a second set screw as well haha. The orange loctite has worked great so far though.

Watching this build I want atleast 1 E car
What is the initial cost of your setup motor , battery and electronics?
You didn't ask me but as someone who only has electric rigs I'd like to think I'm qualified to answer haha. It really depends on if you want 12s or 8s or something that can do both. Assuming you want 12s capability.

For 12s you have 2 consumer friendly options, the Hobbywing Max 5 G2 and the Max 4. Clubbin has the Max 4 combo in his MCD. Max 4 is the more expensive stronger of the two 12s Esc and the motor it's combo'd with is huge but also low kv which basically equates to lower rpm but tons of torque.

Max 4 combo that clubbin is rocking will run you about 739$ though you can probably get it cheaper on hobbywing website with a coupon.

The Max 5 G2 combo is the other 12s capable option and it's cheaper and not as powerful as the big brother max 4 combo but it's also lighter. You can get the max 5 g2 combo'd with an 800kv, or 650 kv motor for 12s. The max 5 g2 combo will run you about 390$ and again probably lower at hobbywing website with coupon.

Both those options are not bad and definitely the easiest way to go as there isn't much thinking involved and everything works when you buy a combo with the added benefit of less soldering.

There are also other options though if you want to not do the cookie cutter combo route. You can buy either a Max 5 g2 esc or a Max 4 esc separately and buy a motor from a different company. This is what I've done with my 2 mcd's and rovan f5. Also my DBXL E 2.0.

My MCD XR5 has the Hobbywing Max 4 esc same as clubbins MCD but for the motor I went TP Power instead of doing a hobbywing combo. TP Power makes better motors than hobbywing but size for size they're more expensive for sure.

My setup for example was 440$ for the Hobbywing Max 4 esc and 300$ for my TP 5870 750kv motor. 2x Big boy lipo battery are going to cost you about 200-230$. If you like to run for long periods of time I would suggest doubling that lipo cost so you can get 2 pairs of lipo. A nice lipo charger will also run you about 150$

You didn't ask me but as someone who only has electric rigs I'd like to think I'm qualified to answer haha. It really depends on if you want 12s or 8s or something that can do both. Assuming you want 12s capability.

For 12s you have 2 consumer friendly options, the Hobbywing Max 5 G2 and the Max 4. Clubbin has the Max 4 combo in his MCD. Max 4 is the more expensive stronger of the two 12s Esc and the motor it's combo'd with is huge but also low kv which basically equates to lower rpm but tons of torque.

Max 4 combo that clubbin is rocking will run you about 739$ though you can probably get it cheaper on hobbywing website with a coupon.

The Max 5 G2 combo is the other 12s capable option and it's cheaper and not as powerful as the big brother max 4 combo but it's also lighter. You can get the max 5 g2 combo'd with an 800kv, or 650 kv motor for 12s. The max 5 g2 combo will run you about 390$ and again probably lower at hobbywing website with coupon.

Both those options are not bad and definitely the easiest way to go as there isn't much thinking involved and everything works when you buy a combo with the added benefit of less soldering.

There are also other options though if you want to not do the cookie cutter combo route. You can buy either a Max 5 g2 esc or a Max 4 esc separately and buy a motor from a different company. This is what I've done with my 2 mcd's and rovan f5. Also my DBXL E 2.0.

My MCD XR5 has the Hobbywing Max 4 esc same as clubbins MCD but for the motor I went TP Power instead of doing a hobbywing combo. TP Power makes better motors than hobbywing but size for size they're more expensive for sure.

My setup for example was 440$ for the Hobbywing Max 4 esc and 300$ for my TP 5870 750kv motor. 2x Big boy lipo battery are going to cost you about 200-230$. If you like to run for long periods of time I would suggest doubling that lipo cost so you can get 2 pairs of lipo. A nice lipo charger will also run you about 150$
Ya I already have 2 Lipo chargers since I had a E rig in the past a yeti xl on 6s but even then I was still a noob on the lipo Electric stuff. Even though I didn't like the E cars the 1st rime around going ro give it a second chance may be more fun in a 1/5 on road. Thanks for the breakdown, if I have more question I will ask you separately don't want to mess up Clubins thread.

Ya I already have 2 Lipo chargers since I had a E rig in the past a yeti xl on 6s but even then I was still a noob on the lipo Electric stuff. Even though I didn't like the E cars the 1st rime around going ro give it a second chance may be more fun in a 1/5 on road. Thanks for the breakdown, if I have more question I will ask you separately don't want to mess up Clubins thread.
Hey, no Problem. I like the info too.

Can you not mount the esc on the electronics box thingie on right side? thats where I put all of mine. Though looking at your pics I don't really see that box on your rig X_X

That esc mount looks beautiful! where did you get it?? we gotta figure out how to fix this weight distribution :ROFLMAO:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks