DBXL 2.0 DBXL 2.0 gas first time owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eating parts.

Detroit performance is a good one too.
Fair enough lol. I did some more searching on here and there seems to be a lot of initial build quality issues with the Dbxl. Really disappointing considering it’s 1400 bucks.
I'd say so.

5t- no broken cv's, last 2.0 had original set of tires last a year, 5t v1 atleast 10 years old still original set of tires.
Are the vekta.5s a good rig? Not to get over the 5t. But to get a roller to build as I go. I’m just in love with that solid axle lol. I really wish they would make the SBR 2.0 in a gas rig. I’d buy that even if the bolts all fell out right when you pulled it outta the box 🤣

Don't buy a dbxl. I got one as my first 1/5, it was great, once I had every aftermarket part on it I could find, and it still didn't compare to a stock 5ive t. Only thing that was nicer about it was the dbxl was smaller. Other then that it's was trash.
Sounds like a glowing review, seems to be more like this on here. Glad I came here before pulling the trigger. There’s only one YouTube review I watched that had anything negative to say about it and his complaint was that it doesn’t steer equally to both sides. I didn’t think that was so bad but they are more plentiful and worse on here.

I’m going with the 5t, a big reason is the aftermarket support for it. Far more for it vs the Dbxl.

Sounds like a glowing review, seems to be more like this on here. Glad I came here before pulling the trigger. There’s only one YouTube review I watched that had anything negative to say about it and his complaint was that it doesn’t steer equally to both sides. I didn’t think that was so bad but they are more plentiful and worse on here.

I’m going with the 5t, a big reason is the aftermarket support for it. Far more for it vs the Dbxl.
Like leaps and bounds better support

The problem with YouTube reviews is they open the box use it once and then say wow it’s great. I almost never see a comprehensive review

if you ever get a chance you might want to check out Losi MTXL, it's out of production and parts can be hard to find but the truck can drive over anything especially with an upgraded motor.

if you ever get a chance you might want to check out Losi MTXL, it's out of production and parts can be hard to find but the truck can drive over anything especially with an upgraded motor.
MTs aren’t my thing. But I think I the kid wants a bigger badder MT now that I’ve got him hooked lol so may be looking for one for him next year.

You know what? Lots of people on here slagging the DBXL. But I am a new owner also. It would be nice to have some constructive advice besides 'dbxl trash get wrekt' I have noticed the RTR rx/tx are trash tier and need replacing immediately. Assembly is standard or sub par. Loctite is missing from from important grub screws like on the rear drive shaft universal joint.

DBXL parts seem not very available and I haven't found them on Jennysrc which is a bad sign IMO.

It's super fun and very strong. Anyways we got one and we are gonna make the best of it because there is no turning back now.

I am reliably informed that as a new owner of an RTR the diffs need to be pulled and properly filled. Considering the general lack of care we have found in terms of general assembly like throttle horn misaligned and so on this seems like a must.

Don't listen to the gatekeepers with their 'should have bought a 5ive' let's get a community going and get these things ripping.
We put a Futaba rx in an set a failsafe after we had a very stressing runaway today and tested it and this is good. The hundo investment in a futaba rx is a must. The 300+ Dollars on a futaba radio is also a must. Trust me watching a 30lb missile go out of control is insane. Spektrum is awful and I only trust Futaba.

You know what? Lots of people on here slagging the DBXL. But I am a new owner also. It would be nice to have some constructive advice besides 'dbxl trash get wrekt' I have noticed the RTR rx/tx are trash tier and need replacing immediately. Assembly is standard or sub par. Loctite is missing from from important grub screws like on the rear drive shaft universal joint.

DBXL parts seem not very available and I haven't found them on Jennysrc which is a bad sign IMO.

It's super fun and very strong. Anyways we got one and we are gonna make the best of it because there is no turning back now.

I am reliably informed that as a new owner of an RTR the diffs need to be pulled and properly filled. Considering the general lack of care we have found in terms of general assembly like throttle horn misaligned and so on this seems like a must.

Don't listen to the gatekeepers with their 'should have bought a 5ive' let's get a community going and get these things ripping.
We put a Futaba rx in an set a failsafe after we had a very stressing runaway today and tested it and this is good. The hundo investment in a futaba rx is a must. The 300+ Dollars on a futaba radio is also a must. Trust me watching a 30lb missile go out of control is insane. Spektrum is awful and I only trust Futaba.
Look buddy, I had a dbxl for years. First generation k&n. Got rid of it 2 years ago. It's an entry level 1/5 scale, with poor support from the factory and aftermarket. So yeah it gets bashed a lot. Till I had mine reliable, it was 80% aftermarket and most of thay was heavy China garbage that just happened to be stronger then the factory plastic junk
So forgive me if I'm not going to get off my soapbox about how bad they suck. Go buy a 5ivet/B and let me know how much you like your 35lb 40mph dbxl anymore.

Last edited:
Savage gatekeeping. Is there not a single soul out there willing to help out noobs like me?
Buy a killswitch and run in. Cosmetic defects are definitely a bummer but after you run it a bit the rest of the rig will start looking worse and everything will blend together😆
Dyne1240(?) Kill switch? Just got a failsafe rx installed after a terrible scare.
Look buddy, I had a dbxl for year. First generation k&n. Got rid of it 2 years ago. It's an entry level 1/5 scale, with poor support from the factory and aftermarket. So yeah it gets bashed a lot. Till I had mine reliable, it was 80% aftermarket and most of thay was heavy China garbage that just happened to be stronger then the factory plastic junk
So forgive me if I'm not going to get off my soapbox about how bad they suck. Go buy a 5ivet/B and let me know how much you like your 35lb 40mph dbxl anymore.
I can see that parts support seems to suck. Indeed I wish I had done more research before pulling the trigger on this thing but here we are.

Last edited:
Savage gatekeeping. Is there not a single soul out there willing to help out noobs like me?

Dyne1240(?) Kill switch? Just got a failsafe rx installed after a terrible scare.

I can see that parts support seems to suck. Indeed I wish I had done more research before pulling the trigger on this thing but here we are.
Killer bee or mod killswitch imo. The remote fail safe will not work for all circumstances

Look buddy, I had a dbxl for years. First generation k&n. Got rid of it 2 years ago. It's an entry level 1/5 scale, with poor support from the factory and aftermarket. So yeah it gets bashed a lot. Till I had mine reliable, it was 80% aftermarket and most of thay was heavy China garbage that just happened to be stronger then the factory plastic junk
DBXL 2.0 (Gas) resolves all the issues of first gen. The 2.0 is basically a v1 on steroids ;) mine is on way, but after watching many vids & reviews, the thing is a weapon ;)

I know your new here and i get it here to ask before making a mistake, I have a blunt sense of humor so don't take offense, but me genuinely telling you the honest opinion please do not get a dbxl as you will be very disappointed. The quality suffers across all generations of the dbxl and I have had my hands on the new dbxl 2.0 gasser and I wasn't impressed at all. Not to mention the air box is crap and your stuck with limited choices for anything in the aftermarket.

im sure there is many more to, seems pretty durable/capable to me & couple of these are without any hopups except ESC/Motor! ;)

I remember back in the day (on this very forum & others!) when i was looking to get my 1st largescale, i was looking at the FG, i lost count the amount of times people were telling me to buy an HPI as the FG was poor & not reliable etc. In the end, i still went with my FG MB Pro, i spent less than £100 on aftermarket parts to replace the weak points. And was fair to say..it was a very capable basher. Over the years i did end up replacing most parts with aftermarket, but not because they *needed* them, but just because i wanted to! I sold my FG about 2 years ago after owning it from new for about 10 years & during that time, i bashed it hard & it lasted well! Motto of the story is, just because you had bad experience with it, it does not mean the model is a bad design or uncapable, the vids above prove that the DBXL 2.0 is very capable, when something breaks on an RC while bashing, it can be a number of things, Poor control is usually the main factor, bad luck is also another. You be doing big air all day long with no broken/damaged parts, the following week you might do a 1 foot jump, it lands awkward = broken hub/wishbone etc.. Thats part of the hobby, win some, lose some ;)

The aftermarket parts are becoming available more & more, its a fairly new design, for the electric version Vitavon make aftermarket parts which will make pretty much bombproof. When you had yours, of course aftermarket parts were going to be limited as you got it not long after release, what did you expect!?

all of those videos are small comparisons and they do not answer to the things that were broken or were an issue in the rigs that have created a poor name for the dbxl, those are just small examples of success. Also entitled to my opinion without someone saying it's me or my driving behavior.

Last edited:
I understand probably more than anyone on here that you want the dbxl really bad and despite all the bad experiences the guys on here had you want to buy one anyways and will look at the good videos to try and justify your want for it. I also wanted a dbxl but after hearing everything on here about it from the honest guys that have real experience on here I fought the urge to buy one and I actually still am fighting the urge to get one. The guys here are just being honest here and it could be kinda brutal coming to figure out that your dream rc isn't that great after all. In the end, it is your decision but they are only trying to guide you to the most enjoyable rc experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks