dbxl buggy shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a crazy thought, but does anyone think the stock tires are too soft? Soft enough to act like an under inflated tire on a real car?

I completely agree. Under hard cornering you can see the stock tires' sidewall folding over so bad it looks like you have a flat tire. I actually replaced mine with stock 5ive-T tires with the original DBXL foam (which I don't like either) and it seems to make a noticeable difference in feel, but I haven't driven it yet since I moved to nights at work. I am going to order a set of Pro-Line Trenchers when they come available. http://www.davesmotors.com/pn1154-13.html

I need to rebuild the shocks as well. There is almost no rebound and it bottoms out when dropped from a couple feet, or driving off of a curb. I actually bought the car used on eBay, but the previous owner only ran about 1/2 tank through it on pavement. It was in new condition when I received it. He said he rebuilt the shocks per Hemistorm specs (see Hemistorm DBXL on YouTube), but they just don't feel right. I'm thinking about ordering these:
https://www.largescalerc.com/1364-StifferSpringsforFrontorRear1Pair-LosiDBXLByPro-SpecR.aspx, but don't know what weight oil would work well with them. I don't even know the stock weights.

I am learning a lot reading all your comments. I've never taken into account diff fluid weight before. I think I will rebuild those as well per some of your recommendations.

I love the DBXL, it just needs fine tuned. I'm thinking a lightened flywheel and 8k rpm clutch. Any thoughts on those? I do have a DDM 29cc Big Bore kit that has not been installed yet. As of right now I have it running side-by side with my friend's 5ive-T, but I need a little more bottom end. I also need a different steering servo. It takes about triple the distance for left turns than it does right turns. The servo doesn't have the same distance of travel in both directions.

I have a set of 4 front genuine losi 5ive shocks for sale. I used them on my DBXL and it eliminated the lawndart issue and was by far the best upgrade I did. Unfortunately, I had to sell the DB due to unexpected expenses. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I will be swapping shocks but don't know about the shorter 5ive shocks but seems to be the best option for the dbxl at the moment and i believe i have devised a way to combat the "lawn dart effect" however its not a great option but seems to be the only option....i have basically just simply discovered that there is absolutely no combination of tips tricks for suspension that can combat the counterbalance of your dbxl i have had mine raising its nose coming off of a jump and you can watch it on the video as it changes balance and nose dives into the groundbreaking my front bumper flipping through the air and breaking the back bumper and shock bolt etc. i have been testing it and as soon as you run out of acceleration to keep level you can start to think about what its going to cost you to fix this time......that is why it can jump short distance with little problems i have seen a lot of ideas on different forums attempting to combat this with suspension setup etc.....but at the end of the day out of steam is out of steam......the key i believe lies in counter balance and fortunately most of us carry what i believe it needs to jump properly......you have a spare tire on the back and notice that it makes a slight difference in jumping but instead of carrying foam inside of it why can't you carry a little bit of sand.....i can't see it taking much to balance it but you need rear weight and lets be honest your not going to use the tire anyways its there because it looks awesome and if you do have to use one you had to buy them in pairs anyways so you have another one or you have an entire set.....im not saying it is going to help the bottoming out but none the less I'm willing to let it take a little abuse if it can land a jump......more damage from crashing than bottoming out from time to time......and might even add skid plates eventually but for the most part i don't plan on jumping on pavement so its not much of an issue to me i am still in testing phase for the sand in the spare tire i am parked until next week when my parts come in (i love owning a dbxl in canada parts are never more than 2 weeks to a month away) but as soon as i get the yolk for my driveshaft i will post my results

My OBR Reed case and the Turtle filter system must really balance out my rig, maybe it's the power, I did do 5ive shocks but she does fly level enough, I had to
Tape both the tires and foams then glue the bead locks the truck does run good with the Mickey Thompsons but the stocker do have some good give on landings if you can keep them together, mine is in the zone right now.

Do you want all rears or all fronts....or do you do fronts and rears. I'm confused. Ddm shows 11.5 springs in front and 8 in the rear. I'm just looking for the best performance. I want to put 5 t shocks on my dbxl.....please help

Do you want all rears or all fronts....or do you do fronts and rears. I'm confused. Ddm shows 11.5 springs in front and 8 in the rear. I'm just looking for the best performance. I want to put 5 t shocks on my dbxl.....please help
I don't know about which shocks, I'm in the UK, I'd get the km ones from RCModelZ personally.
But! If you do want some help, this helped me a lot to understand what different springs/fluids/piston holes do: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/2/1_content.html
It's a sort of race handling manual for rc's, goes into some detail but is well worth a thorough read. Kudos to whoever wrote it. For answering your question - click read more, then 15, then read pages 1 and 2 of the second chapter, particularly page 2. Good luck :)

I don't know about which shocks, I'm in the UK, I'd get the km ones from RCModelZ personally.
But! If you do want some help, this helped me a lot to understand what different springs/fluids/piston holes do: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/2/1_content.html
It's a sort of race handling manual for rc's, goes into some detail but is well worth a thorough read. Kudos to whoever wrote it. For answering your question - click read more, then 15, then read pages 1 and 2 of the second chapter, particularly page 2. Good luck :)

wow...there is a lot of info in there

Got that right mate - all seems to make good sense too - Don't know where I found it, would hope the author would want it shared - I bet most of us can learn something in there - Doubt it'll transform me into the :stig: but every little helps!

I used my hpi 5b stock shocks on front and back. It gives me 4in of ground clearance instead of 2.5in

Attachments

• 20170717_073258.jpg
    20170717_073258.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 10
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks