Decompression valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mounting the compression release unit like in the pic above is not the best way to do it. When Larry Weichman does our MX heads he welds an aluminum boss horizontally to the head, then cross drills a small 1/8" hole. You don't need a giant hole for a CR to function. The small 1/8" hole is far less invasive within your head dome profile. Here's some pics of Larry's work on a KX500 head :

Annnnd the rcmax head is mine ? for a solid $55. Just gotta sort sum shite out with eBay stuff but then it should be on its way ?
Mounting the compression release unit like in the pic above is not the best way to do it. When Larry Weichman does our MX heads he welds an aluminum boss horizontally to the head, then cross drills a small 1/8" hole. You don't need a giant hole for a CR to function. The small 1/8" hole is far less invasive within your head dome profile. Here's some pics of Larry's work on a KX500 head :

That's also a good idea, not sure how that would work with an air cooled head tho.

It appears that they missed the air channels ,an drilled the hole in the solid part close to the head bolt!

Yea ,that didn't look right for air ,looked more like water jackets!
imagine a watercooled 1/5 :unsure: so much more potential for big bores as most the big power cyls are water-cooled, that would take big bores to the next step in power. also would have less chance of over heating :unsure:? someone should do this...........maybe me.

imagine a watercooled 1/5 :unsure: so much more potential for big bores as most the big power cyls are water-cooled, that would take big bores to the next step in power. also would have less chance of over heating :unsure:? someone should do this...........maybe me.

Yea ,it crossed my mind a few times ,with a tiny radiator an pump .a small smoke pump does exist for an airplane that
can be used ,perhaps a radiator can be made with aluminum fins & tiny copper tubing!

Yea ,it crossed my mind a few times ,with a tiny radiator an pump .a small smoke pump does exist for an airplane that
can be used ,perhaps a radiator can be made with aluminum fins & tiny copper tubing!
They do sell mini radiators somewhere im sure ?this guy has a water-cooled twin
did a really clean job.

did a really clean job.

LOL....I knew that it would be a matter of time that someone would try ,there is a variety of stuff out there that can be used ,
such as some marine stuff with bulge pumps an heads along with clutch housings that are water cooled as well!....:unsure:

alright so the head has been paid for! guy says he'll send it Saturday. was a PITA to do because the guy didn't really know how to work eBay and when he made the listing originally he put it at no international shipping so when i went to pay and eBay wouldnt let me even tho i won it and we agreed on a price, so messaged him on FB and paid directly thru PayPal and now i got a head! hopefully, it comes by the end of nx week

alright so the head has been paid for! guy says he'll send it Saturday. was a PITA to do because the guy didn't really know how to work eBay and when he made the listing originally he put it at no international shipping so when i went to pay and eBay wouldnt let me even tho i won it and we agreed on a price, so messaged him on FB and paid directly thru PayPal and now i got a head! hopefully, it comes by the end of nx week

That's great Z ,you got some head!.....(y)

did a really clean job.

I bet it still gets hot if he is running it hard. Radiators look too small. I know what it takes to keep mine cooled and I am pinned almost all the time at 20,000 and above for almost my whole Losi tank. I mean he has fans he says BUT look at the size of the radiators. Not much area to try and dissipate heat with.

Look like small CPU radiators. Will likely help in the very short run, but they will still heat soak over time because of their limited ability to shed heat. His latest vid has fans mounted, but I'm dubious as to the gains in cooling over directing air over the heads. These cars aren't computers, sitting around on the office floor.

Seems to me he's an engineer trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Think on this: The added weight of water cooling will add a LOT of mass to your car. This will force the motor to work harder to get to the same top speed in the same time. Does this added strain on the motor justify not only the added mass, but the thermal load placed on it as a result?

Running a boat gasser is completely different. You can water cool, because you are running in water. You aren't adding any mass to it because you are pumping the water it's running on over the head. You don't need a radiator, because the water is already cold due to being constantly replaced as your rig runs. With a car, it's different. You need to carry the water onboard. This water will heat up over the duration of your run. After a few minutes, the air around the head will be substantially cooler than the water running through a jacket.

I would not recommend water cooling on an engine that is, by design, cooled by air. It won't net you any gains, and will likely only make your car heavier.

Those tiny rads can't dissipate the thermal load for any length of time beyond idling. He needs much larger ones but then the size needed + placement are going be an issue. So maybe just a test or for show.
My water cooled computer builds don't move. ?
Hmmm now I'm wondering how to pull that off. ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks