DBXL Did I make a mistake ordering a DBXL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moon mcwilly

I just ordered the K&N version, brand new.
I've been reading about the DBXL and it seems to be a little bit of a money pit.
Have the issues (such as the rear driveshaft) been fixed or will I be in for a treat with this thing?
I still have time to cancel the order.

Thank you.

imo cancel and get a 5ive...or sumin else....(y)..I had a dbxl...a well sorted one:) and I jus knew I had to sale it..:unsure:..while the going was good...I got 600quid for it...:p...and then I gota 5ive......so glad I did..:cool:..take a look at my old db...
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3CaBjy
and my sweet ass 5ive...
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm92WbaB

Thanks for the reply. Although I can afford the 5IVE-T, it wouldn't feel right for me to spend EUR 1600 on an RC vehicle.
I've heard nothing but good things about the 5IVE-T, so I understand what you're trying to say.
I plan on keeping the DBXL completely stock and I'll probably rarely do any jumps with it, do you think I'll be okay?

I don't know about the newer K&N DBXL...I bought one of the original DBXL's.
The stock shocks and springs that came in mine were lacking...BIG TIME. I have the DDM stiffer springs and did all sorts of shock mods...switched from diff fluid to regular shock oil in them...the 5ive T and 5ive B shocks are way better than the DBXL shocks.
The steering on mine has/had ALOT of play. Haven't really tried to fix or sort it out...there is a kit I've seen on ebay for around $75.00 that should fix the issue.
The stock tires and foams were kind of crap...i put some Trenchers on instead..much better traction with those...the stock tires were really flimsy when compared to the trenchers..but i did end up tapeing the foams cause the stock foams were still bad.
Chassis is 4mm thick instead of 5mm like the 5ive T and 5ive B. There is alot of chassis flex in the 4mm DBXL chassis. It can be fixed with aluminium chassis braces but if you crash hard that energy is going to be transfered to something else in the truck. I bent the chassis in the front after a really bad crash into a huge piece of concrete that jumped in front while i was driving around in a parking lot ( my wife didnt do that one...it was all me....)

The 2 bolt 23cc engine that came with it is "ok"....but its still a 2 bolt... It runs a little better with a pipe but a 4 bolt 29cc with some kind of pipe is probably the minimum you should have in it. When you start putting more power in you will probably start running into issues with the drivetrain (pins flying out...etc). I CAN say i have not had any issue as of yet with the drive train but the largest motor i have had in it is a 4 bolt 29cc.

The roll cage offers pretty good protection BUT. The rear...where the body clips attach to to roll cage....can get sheared away pretty easy.

To add to that...the 5ive T would probably be a better purchase than the DBXL...although it is a few hundred more...but if you do decide to stay with the dbxl...i would recommend doing something with that air filter BEFROE you run in the dirt.

I don't know about the newer K&N DBXL...I bought one of the original DBXL's.
The stock shocks and springs that came in mine were lacking...BIG TIME. I have the DDM stiffer springs and did all sorts of shock mods...switched from diff fluid to regular shock oil in them...the 5ive T and 5ive B shocks are way better than the DBXL shocks.
The steering on mine has/had ALOT of play. Haven't really tried to fix or sort it out...there is a kit I've seen on ebay for around $75.00 that should fix the issue.
The stock tires and foams were kind of crap...i put some Trenchers on instead..much better traction with those...the stock tires were really flimsy when compared to the trenchers..but i did end up tapeing the foams cause the stock foams were still bad.
Chassis is 4mm thick instead of 5mm like the 5ive T and 5ive B. There is alot of chassis flex in the 4mm DBXL chassis. It can be fixed with aluminium chassis braces but if you crash hard that energy is going to be transfered to something else in the truck. I bent the chassis in the front after a really bad crash into a huge piece of concrete that jumped in front while i was driving around in a parking lot ( my wife didnt do that one...it was all me....)

The 2 bolt 23cc engine that came with it is "ok"....but its still a 2 bolt... It runs a little better with a pipe but a 4 bolt 29cc with some kind of pipe is probably the minimum you should have in it. When you start putting more power in you will probably start running into issues with the drivetrain (pins flying out...etc). I CAN say i have not had any issue as of yet with the drive train but the largest motor i have had in it is a 4 bolt 29cc.

The roll cage offers pretty good protection BUT. The rear...where the body clips attach to to roll cage....can get sheared away pretty easy.
To add to that...the 5ive T would probably be a better purchase than the DBXL...although it is a few hundred more...but if you do decide to stay with the dbxl...i would recommend doing something with that air filter BEFROE you run in the dirt.

Thanks for your replies.
I am in a huge dilemma now. I wanted something that is awesome in stock form. DDM is based in the US and since I am in Europe it's going to cost me a ton of import charges whenever I have to buy something.

The K&N version is so nice but I think I am going to have to cancel my order.

EDIT: What is wrong with the K&N filter?

Last edited:
the k&n dbxl is exactly the same all bar the graphics and silly air filter which wil need to b binned anyways(y)..they r not suitable for any kind of off road rc...(n).on road maybe....:unsure:....they let in too much crap off raod

the k&n dbxl is exactly the same all bar the graphics and silly air filter which wil need to b binned anyways(y)..they r not suitable for any kind of off road rc...(n).on road maybe....:unsure:....they let in too much crap off raod

Ironically, I've just finished watching a video saying how the K&N filter is.
I think I'll go ahead and cancel my order.
It was going to be my first 1/5th scale, gas RC vehicle.
I'll probably either go with the Baja or just buy nothing for now.

there's a good few 1/5th shops in uk/europe dude....rcmodz...silverbak...rcfox...so u wont have to import everything(y)im in uk(y)

Thanks for the information! :)

Ironically, I've just finished watching a video saying how the K&N filter is.
I think I'll go ahead and cancel my order.
It was going to be my first 1/5th scale, gas RC vehicle.
I'll probably either go with the Baja or just buy nothing for now.

Thanks for the information! :)
no probs dude (y)...this s y it's good to ask questuons BEFORE u buy any rc.:unsure:..as u could make a very expensive mistake :cry:

no probs dude (y)...this s y it's good to ask questuons BEFORE u buy any rc.:unsure:..as u could make a very expensive mistake :cry:

Hello, thanks again for your replies buddy.
What do you think about the Savage XL Octane? I've found it cheap. To be honest I really like that truck from what I've seen.
Is it reliable? Are there any known issues?

no no no...stay well away.(y)..I've never seen one run for more 1 tank with out problums of one sort or another..:(..u tube isfull of pissed off owners of these with running issese:mad:.....i almost bought one...cheap...but after looking into them i didn't bother(y)....

i do know they bought out a v2 model but tbh i don't thk its any better:unsure:...it had a different pipe... i thk:unsure:...but im sure they still had running issues .....that's y u see them cheap now (y)

Well, by cheap I mean like EUR 700. I've read some different experiences and they seem to be mixed, seems like it's not that bad.
It's cute as hell though. It's sad that almost everything I like is crap.
I've cancelled my DBXL order and was about to order the Octane to be honest.
I'm in a huge dilemma...

if u want an easy step into 1/5th ownership then imo u wont go wrong with a new km baja (y)...they r almost on a par with the hpi baja quality wise now...and r good value for money from what I've seen/read(y)......chk out rcmodz site....very good prices and service(y)

or spend the extra and go for a 5ive(y)...eitherway ur gonna throw a load of money at which ever u buy in nicebbits n bobs/upgrades...:cool:..as its jus what u do un this hobby(y)......my baja as it sits is proably around 1600-1700 quids worth atm.....and my 5ive maybe 2500....thats theway it goes ;)....both have decent engines which r the most expensive upgrades imo...(y)

This website I've found is able to ship for no cost.
RCModelz, on the other hand, have told me that it would cost me around EUR 240 for the shipping ALONE, mind you.
We do have a service where I live where you basically order something from the UK, have it shipped to one of their hubs in the UK, then they'll ship it to you and the cost is significantly cheaper. We're talking about EUR 50 (which is a huge difference from EUR 240).
As ridiculous as it may sound, I actually plan to leave everything stock. Not a fan of upgrading, so the only thing I'll spend money on is a kill switch, that's all. I like to enjoy things the way they come from the factory.

You keep telling me no and no about the Octane but I'm hella tempted mate.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks