Does the team chase diaphragm filter work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
alright so ddm has a deal of the day for a team chase diaphragm filter. I get the logic but has anyone used it? Is it working like catching dirt in the filter as you can see? And im itching to upgrade the stock air filter...turtle racing aluminum air box? What filter? Or velocity stack and a short stack filter? I'm looking for something that doesn't mess with the cage at all.

The diaphragm filter does work for its intended purpose of keeping sand out of the diaphragm, but unless you run in a lot of sand, you probably won't see a difference in diaphragm longevity. There are numerous vids out there that show the difference between filtered and unfiltered sand runs. I don't think it's really necessary for most folks, but it won't hurt anything to get one.

If you're strapped for cash, don't bother.

So most saws come this way for more or less the same reason, but their method is built in, however it's easy to replicate. You basically need 2 barb fittings, one to braze, solder or however you feel like affixing it to the diagphram cover hole, and one to go in the air path befor the carb, behind the filter. Again fixing it however you like. Then just put a small of fuel hose in between, and bam you just made your self a self adjusting carb. I have some really small tygone fuel line I've used for this in saws amd just for go the barbed fittings. But these are small carbs in comparison. Guess I should find time to update my carb thread with the procedure and pictures. It's really not hard to do, and has the bonus if your filter gets plugged up it will not allow an over rich condition to the engine.

Last edited:
the air filter keeps it clean, the pressure differential from the clean side of the carb to the pulse signal is what compensates the metering diaphragm for the "dirty" filter. I cant remember what stihl and husqy called it, but it worked decently well, amd you never had to worry about crap in the metering diaphragm. Let me see if I have a carb with it built in, a picture may be better to explain it.
So this isnt the carb I really wanted to show, but it appears to be the only one, not in a saw. That I have on hand. It's old as dirt so this isnt something new I'm talking about.
It's off a homelite saw cant remember the model, but in the 50cc range. It's a walbro HDC 16 carb. Stihl and husqy did it in a nicer looking package. But this is more or less what I'm talking about.
15996922758518918020099733656438.jpg
This would be looking at the air filter if it were attached.
15996923146774224529118334524436.jpg
That tube that sticks out goes right into the air filter housing. Keeps the diaphragm clean, and when the filter gets (air filter) gets dirty it doesn't allow the metering diaphragm to move quite as much, thus (were talking very small amount here) leaning out the fuel mix to adjust for less air entering the engine.

Last edited:
the air filter keeps it clean, the pressure differential from the clean side of the carb to the pulse signal is what compensates the metering diaphragm for the "dirty" filter. I cant remember what stihl and husqy called it, but it worked decently well, amd you never had to worry about crap in the metering diaphragm. Let me see if I have a carb with it built in, a picture may be better to explain it.
So this isnt the carb I really wanted to show, but it appears to be the only one, not in a saw. That I have on hand. It's old as dirt so this isnt something new I'm talking about.
It's off a homelite saw cant remember the model, but in the 50cc range. It's a walbro HDC 16 carb. Stihl and husqy did it in a nicer looking package. But this is more or less what I'm talking about.
View attachment 63347
This would be looking at the air filter if it were attached.
View attachment 63348
That tube that sticks out goes right into the air filter housing. Keeps the diaphragm clean, and when the filter gets (air filter) gets dirty it doesn't allow the metering diaphragm to move quite as much, thus (were talking very small amount here) leaning out the fuel mix to adjust for less air entering the engine.

Yea ,I seen those ,infact ,I still have a few laying around!....:cool:

Not really, new per say. That's for a 2012 husqy. Well the newest version of that carb. So it would be like a 2015 ish edition. I don't have a spare coil atm. And the two top ports are for the strato air, think epa carb. But it tunes itself and doesn't carb about port work, it just fattens itself up. Pretty trick. Most smaller pro level saws come with something similar. They had a few hiccups in the beginning but it's all smooth sailing now.

Well if epa is involved they want everything the engine produces to be sucked back in and burned again

Crap ,they are getting strict on emissions here in Cali ,it is effecting the small engines performance ,I noticed it on the new Sthl
backpack blowers ,the little old ass 400 series kicks more butt than the new 600 series!....:poop:

I live in nj.. we don't have crazy regs but its slowly getting tighter. I remember reading an article for offroad vehicles in cali needing spark arrestors on the exhausts and park cops taking dB readings on the noise...F That!

I live in nj.. we don't have crazy regs but its slowly getting tighter. I remember reading an article for offroad vehicles in cali needing spark arrestors on the exhausts and park cops taking dB readings on the noise...F That!

Every time that I seen those ,I chucked them ,causes carbon build up around the port ,seen the carbon get back down the
the engine an scar the cylinder ,I pull those out of every piece of equipment that I own!

Not sure about off road vehicles though!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks