George's Kraken Vekta.5 Ownership/Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?My VRC pipe didn't touch there.

Yeah, I was surprised as you never mentioned it hitting that support beam in your install video. The only thing I can think of is the T90 is rasing the engine more? Not sure? I had to purchase a CY engine cover with this T90. Per DDM.

"NOTE: Due to the spacing of the rear "heel" mount all smaller engines 23-34cc in size will require a CY fan cover be used. The Zenoah fan cover spacing is incompatible to the heel mount of the T90. The fan cover can be purchased separately if you do not have one (located in the related items listed below)"

Yeah, I was surprised as you never mentioned it hitting that support beam in your install video. The only thing I can think of is the T90 is rasing the engine more? Not sure? I had to purchase a CY engine cover with this T90. Per DDM.

"NOTE: Due to the spacing of the rear "heel" mount all smaller engines 23-34cc in size will require a CY fan cover be used. The Zenoah fan cover spacing is incompatible to the heel mount of the T90. The fan cover can be purchased separately if you do not have one (located in the related items listed below)"
?I wouldn't think the T90 could raise the engine cause the engine still bolts to the chassis. The VRC did go up a little higher than my Bartolone pipe I had 1st cause I had to cut the opening a little higher on my front mudgaurd. Maybe the offset on your manifold is a little higher than mine?‍♂️

Took advantage of this springtime weather here in CT. Damn near 70 degrees, to put that in perspective, it's in mid 20s low 30s generally this time of year. Just some raw bashing footage. Hoping the engine would blow up to justify buying a new more powerful engine. :ROFLMAO: All joking aside it goes pretty damn well with this basic non ported ESP 34cc. Can only imagine what an OBR signature series 34cc or RCMAX big block would be like. :oops:

Itching for some upgrades still, maybe some ProLine Trenchers with some RCMAX Beadlocks :unsure:

I watched and commented on your video. Great bash session. I was also wondering how you like the T90. Seems like some drag when you tighten the clutch bell to gear on mine. How does yours feel?

Just replied to your comment on Youtube

"To be honest? I was kinda pissed about that binding issue that required me to tear it apart and install the two spacers Kraken was nice enough to supply. Now the clutch bell keeps loosening, the issue is if you tighten the bolt too tight it creates a lot of drag on the drivetrain. After it loosening twice on me I just torque it down. But like you mentioned it create drag. I can't remember how the stock transmission was, unsure if it rolled easily or not?"

"To be honest? I was kinda pissed about that binding issue that required me to tear it apart and install the two spacers Kraken was nice enough to supply. Now the clutch bell keeps loosening, the issue is if you tighten the bolt too tight it creates a lot of drag on the drivetrain. After it loosening twice on me I just torque it down. But like you mentioned it create drag. I can't remember how the stock transmission was, unsure if it rolled easily or not?"
I torqued mine down with the supplied lock washer and a dab of blue loctite, but backed it out a hair to loosen the drag some. The stock trans was a lot more loose. But I checked against my Rovan 4wd Baja and it was similar to the T90. I think it has to do with the direct gear drive. I was just curious on your setup but it's looking similar to mine. Did you add any lube to your gears? I'm thinking maybe only 1 washer may be needed or longer screw to account for the added thickness of the 2 washers?

Last edited:
I torqued mine down with the supplied lock washer and a dab of blue loctite, but backed it out a hair to loosen the drag some. The stock trans was a lot more loose. But I checked against my Rovan 4wd Baja and it was similar to the T90. I think it has to do with the direct gear drive. I was just curious on your setup but it's looking similar to mine. Did you add any lub to your gears?

Yep I did the same (blue loctite and backed it out to create less drag) It still backs completely out after like 40 minutes. The heat also cooks the locktite. Tempted to use Red but with my luck it will stay put forever preventing me from working on the tranny in the future.

I used the following in the tranny, to be honest, i don't think it makes much difference. Almost need like good gear oil, but this system is not sealed to hold fluid.

49375708476_170d9965b0_b.jpg

49375708521_84fbb2558d_b.jpg

I watched and commented on your video. Great bash session. I was also wondering how you like the T90. Seems like some drag when you tighten the clutch bell to gear on mine. How does yours feel?

Ah that sux???? hope you guy sort it? how much drag?.....will it not bed in after a few tanks??‍♂️

Sounds like they needed a thrust bearing in there somewhere to take the side load. Kinda disappointed that the "fix" seems more so like a patch for you guys.
Also another idea, I don't specifically know how that all goes together. But it needs some shims inserted to get that screw tight. doesn't matter how much blue or red loctite goes on, if it gets really hot the loctite will melt out. If you had a way to shim so your bolt got tight I think you would be better off. And have the added bonus of being able to dial in how much side clearance you have.

I torqued mine down with the supplied lock washer and a dab of blue loctite, but backed it out a hair to loosen the drag some. The stock trans was a lot more loose. But I checked against my Rovan 4wd Baja and it was similar to the T90. I think it has to do with the direct gear drive. I was just curious on your setup but it's looking similar to mine. Did you add any lube to your gears? I'm thinking maybe only 1 washer may be needed or longer screw to account for the added thickness of the 2 washers?
I've had issues like this with blackbone gears on my bajas, if it's like mine then the gear/clutch bell are being pressed onto the bearing creating the bind.
One of my gears I shaved the back of to get clearance and the other I got thin washer and shaped it to the clutch bell shaft and put it on with a bigger washer over to get the clearance I needed. Hope you can make sense of that.. Lol??

I've had issues like this with blackbone gears on my bajas, if it's like mine then the gear/clutch bell are being pressed onto the bearing creating the bind.
One of my gears I shaved the back of to get clearance and the other I got thin washer and shaped it to the clutch bell shaft and put it on with a bigger washer over to get the clearance I needed. Hope you can make sense of that.. Lol??
Makes sense to me Mark. I'm gonna take mine out and see how she acts and if/when I take her back apart I'll definitely take your advice??

Try teflon tape. It holds well, wont melt, and is easily removed. Also that weekend weather was a gem. Took the trucks out myself. Didn't even break anything.
That's probably a good idea. I may try that.

Sounds like they needed a thrust bearing in there somewhere to take the side load. Kinda disappointed that the "fix" seems more so like a patch for you guys.
Also another idea, I don't specifically know how that all goes together. But it needs some shims inserted to get that screw tight. doesn't matter how much blue or red loctite goes on, if it gets really hot the loctite will melt out. If you had a way to shim so your bolt got tight I think you would be better off. And have the added bonus of being able to dial in how much side clearance you have.

Yeah, blue Loctite burns right up on that clutch bell screw. I was wondering why all of sudden the bolt kept on backing out. Now I know. I initially followed these steps to the T when I first received the tranny. However, after installing the washers and retightening the bolt after it became loose twice, I forget you need to use another hex wrench on the other side to hold the clutch bell shaft while you tighten the bolt.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks