HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbelleville

I found a buggy on Ebay from what I can make out it is from a brand "Kingmotor" labeled as the "Baja X"

if you look under the following in Ebay:
BRAND NEW*23CC 1/5 SCALE BAJA X GAS BUGGY **BRAND NEW**

Anyone have more info?

Oh, I am not considering buying any of the clones, as I have an older FG Marder. I just saw them online and wanted to make others aware. Thanks for the info.

if you contact the kingmotor company directly they give a quote of $390 it seems pretty cheap but then shipping costs a fortune. for me (i live in canada) it came to $535. i haven't bought one yet because I don't know if I can trust the company after i have sent them my money.

don't get me started on these clones...

theres a big thread, actually a whole section on them over at the hpibajaforum - I recommend checking it out. Lots is speculation but all i know is a mate bought one and its crap - he spent way too much replacing crap clone parts with original HPI ones that he could've bought the original in the first place and had money to spare.

Just don't let anyone feed you the lie that HPI make, or help make, or willingly supply any parts to these clone mfg's - I have spoken to HPI about it personally and its absolute baloney

Some people seem to be having quite a few problems with these clones while others don't think they are that bad. Maybe there are different companies making these clones and some have better quality than others?

I think some people just drive them like an old lady :lol: which is fine, but if you give it some hell then they definitely can't stand the abuse like an HPI can. I'd like to see a video of an average bash for those that say they are fine...

I would Love a clone

I figure I am going to upgrade everything anyway, so for me it makes more sense to have a bunch of clone parts in my pile after upgrades than HPI parts.
If anyone has bought one send side by side pics. The ones I saw (side by sides) the 2 did not look even remotely similar and there was just no way that HPI parts would fit it. So to me that was either a bullcrap pic to discourage potential buyers, but this was by no means a "Clone". So if anyone has one, or knows where to get one, I will gladly and proudly buy a clone.

Thanks

I figure I am going to upgrade everything anyway, so for me it makes more sense to have a bunch of clone parts in my pile after upgrades than HPI parts.
If anyone has bought one send side by side pics. The ones I saw (side by sides) the 2 did not look even remotely similar and there was just no way that HPI parts would fit it. So to me that was either a bullcrap pic to discourage potential buyers, but this was by no means a "Clone". So if anyone has one, or knows where to get one, I will gladly and proudly buy a clone.

Thanks

you would likely be thinking of the xrc buggy, its different design but looks kinda similar, the kingmotor one above is a blatant ripoff and side by side they look exactly the same, till you can see the two up close and personal - then the "cloneness" is obvious

Hmmmm?

Dawolf

Ok here are the buggies that are being discussed. These are not mine, I just got the pics. One is the XRC, one the Kingmotor. Which one looks like the one you saw or are talking about?

hope this helps.

Attachments

• kingmotor.jpg
    kingmotor.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
  • XRC.jpg
    XRC.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 86
you would likely be thinking of the xrc buggy, its different design but looks kinda similar, the kingmotor one above is a blatant ripoff and side by side they look exactly the same, till you can see the two up close and personal - then the "cloneness" is obvious

its an exact clone

Attachments

• Xu62861.jpg
    Xu62861.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
HTML:
its an exact clone

Until you drive them and you see how bad the quality is...then you start to vomit, and realise that you have just blown US$500 on the original purchase:helpsmilie:, and are up for more cash when you have to replace the dodgy engine, leaking shocks, brittle plastics, poor tyres, crap servos etc etc etc.

Then the real HPI version looks like a bargain in comparison.

........hmmmm what to do, what to do:lol:

If you planning to buy a clone because your going to replace most of it with aftermarket why even buy a clone? Just buy a chassis and build your beast from the ground up, that would have to be the cheapest way of building a kikass baja

HTML:
its an exact clone

Until you drive them and you see how bad the quality is...then you start to vomit, and realise that you have just blown US$500 on the original purchase:helpsmilie:, and are up for more cash when you have to replace the dodgy engine, leaking shocks, brittle plastics, poor tyres, crap servos etc etc etc.

Then the real HPI version looks like a bargain in comparison.

........hmmmm what to do, what to do:lol:

Ive put 4-5 tanks of gas ( 1 gallon coleman fuel with 4oz 2 cycle) through my KM baja and have had no major issues with the buggy so far...only upgrades a spectrum dx3 the TX and RX and a 4200 battery ..... the stock servos are still working.

Only problem I had the.... Radio system is junk the reciever fried on me locked the steering servo to the right

I bought 1 for my son and another 1 for myself spent about the same as 1 RTR hpi baja5b

The engine runs great...a tunedpipe is a must just like any 1/5 vehicle it wakes up your engine I will be making some videos soon

Cheap stock parts for the KM BAJA http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=HPIC0600&P=Z

100% innerchagable

Last edited:
I fell for the clone, I have not emptied the first tank of fuel, and I have already burnt the steering servo (white smoke was coming out of it) , shattered the hard brittle body with the pull cord handle! and a part of the cheap plastic front arm completely disapeared! (broke clear off) The shocks leak badly, and are hard to push in and out even with no oil in them!!! The motor seems pretty good and powerfull and the aluminum parts are just as good as HPI. I would have spent the extra 3 to 4 hundred bucks more for the 5B SS and would have been better off.

Purchased already:
Front servo
front arms
all four shocks
Body
Ouch!!!

Ive put 4-5 tanks of gas ( 1 gallon coleman fuel with 4oz 2 cycle) through my KM baja and have had no major issues with the buggy so far...only upgrades a spectrum dx3 the TX and RX and a 4200 battery ..... the stock servos are still working.

Only problem I had the.... Radio system is junk the reciever fried on me locked the steering servo to the right

I bought 1 for my son and another 1 for myself spent about the same as 1 RTR hpi baja5b

The engine runs great...a tunedpipe is a must just like any 1/5 vehicle it wakes up your engine I will be making some videos soon

Cheap stock parts for the KM BAJA http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=HPIC0600&P=Z

100% innerchagable

Tower sucks for HPI parts and in general. Go to the guys that support this forum and HBF.

www.pythonmotorsports.com
www.davesmotors.com (use LSF for a coupon code, 5% off)
if these guys don't have what you need, go to:
www.hostilehobby.com

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks