I have a problem 40gt, 46gt or 50gt engine choice for 5ive t 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah mate you can anodize cast, the turn out just depends on the quality of the casting, and what its alloyed with. Certainly hard to get that high gloss finish, but a matt finish shouldn't be too terrible to accomplish in black at least. don't know if it would work with another color.

Nah mate you can anodize cast, the turn out just depends on the quality of the casting, and what its alloyed with. Certainly hard to get that high gloss finish, but a matt finish shouldn't be too terrible to accomplish in black at least. don't know if it would work with another color.
You are correct but typically cast parts aren't anodized. You have to have really high quality low porosity consistent castings and I think that would be a lot more costly.

You are correct but typically cast parts aren't anodized. You have to have really high quality low porosity consistent castings and I think that would be a lot more costly.
I think the anodizing would look a bit pitted if it was.
The pitting can be mitigated during the melting/ casting process. I cant remember what it was, but theres an additive you use to disperse the silicon throughout, Instead of allowing it to form large Crystal's. Which is one of the main issues, with anodizing cast parts. I think they call it "modifying" or something to that extent. Like I said, it's been too long to remember the details of how it was done, but I can remember it turned out quite decent. As well as the silicon content and any other alloys present, the casting method can affect finish quality. Ie sand cast vs die cast. I'm also fairly sure it's a much more expensive process then the typical anodizing process.

There is a coating I would like to do to my engine but not on the outside. It would be for the piston it's NEDOX. NEDOX eliminates “stick-slip” and undesirable vibration of higher break-away friction. Temperature. Exhibits high strength, toughness and self-lubricity down to –250°F (–157°C). Exhibits flexibility down to –110°F (–79°C). But it's quite expensive.

Hmm, never heard of it. But I'm kinda wondering why we care how low of a temp it can hold up to? More worried if it can take heat. I do however have a little bit of knowledge about piston coatings. There are a few engine mfg that use coated pistons for various reasons. And typically the coating that helps reduce friction seems to be mainly sacrificial. The more expensive ceramic type coatings tend to last the longest, but typically require a certain amount of clearance at the proper film thickness. Ie either the bore needs opened up a bit, or the piston needs turned down a bit. Now top side coating to help keep the piston cool, have been around for some time, and many have used it with success, particularly in the hot rod pick up diesel engines. Idk how prevalent it is anymore. Kinda stopped paying attention when I had my first kid.

I'm not sure why they don't give the full temp range that was just a copy and past to show info. I've just never forgot about the nedox coating sense I first saw it quite a while now at job I used to have. It would hold up to millions of cycles and supposed to be harder than steel. I think some of the current piston coatings have similar characteristics to the nedox coating but probably not as durable. Probably not worth the money in the long run just thought it would be cool to try out. I get curious about things.

May want to remove the first photo with your address. You never know who's lurking on the forums....sweet engine tho! What did it cost said and done to your door?
Thank you I didn't think of that. And it was close to $2260.
Here are more shots of the engine

Attachments

• 20201211_151642.jpg
    20201211_151642.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201211_151648.jpg
    20201211_151648.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201211_151709.jpg
    20201211_151709.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
I still can't get over the quality of this engine. I have looked at hundreds of pictures but they don't compare to having the actual engine in your hands.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks