Interested in dbxl engine mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing thing to do is the 320 swap. The 23-2bt isn't going to give you the strength you need to move a heavy vehicle like the DBXL. If it were a 2wd roadcar ok because they are light,so they don't need the same low-end torque that the DBXL requires. 23cc are meant to rev but have little lowend power,that's why they are in low weight 2wd cars.
Now if you opt for a 4bolt engine then you can use a headkit all the way up to 31.5cc,a good exhaust and 8000rpm clutch should get you moving quite nicely.
But... For maybe a little more you can get a 320 that has the needed torque and power to give the DBXL the power it needs. The DBXL is a big heavy vehicle.
You can of course up the power of the 320 with a headkit,if you want more power.
The 23cc 2blt engines was a cost cutting measure for the DBXL.
2blts are well known for blowing,especially with a head kit. The added compression to a 2blt can put to much strain on the engine in a heavy vehicle.
Basically this is what we're really talking about. Even FG trucks are famous for blowing 26cc 2blt engines. I have a 26cc 2blt in my leopard but its fairly light compared to a DBXL.
I have a several 4blt engines in case it dies. I even have 23cc 2bolt with 26(25.4)cc head kit,that's fast in a roadcars but wouldn't put in a heavy vehicle.
I hope this answers the questions you've asked,I tried to give points of why staying with the 2blt just isn't practical.
Good luck.

As far as I can remember a g320 is a drop in replacement. The 30.0 should bolt right up, like mentioned above get the esp ported kit. For the money invested the g320 would just be the better option imo. The differences @Jshaff16 notices is the dbxl weighing slightly less then the 5ive t. If the engine were swapped it would be a night and day difference.
The diff housings can be an issue, I've melted 2 so far. Next time they will get the alloy upgrade, well I stripped a mounting hole in one last outing, and jammed a drywall screw in it to keep going, so it will be replaced with alloy. Your friend will need to suck it up and take all the CV shafts out and loctite the pins in, throw the center drives out and get a set of flm shafts.
Mine were good for gallons of fuel before I redid top end. Think it's more of a rev issue than anything else
No kidding..seems like losi has a common theme with poor drive line angle
It's actually a bearing issue, I've found. They are a bit too small for the job at hand with bigger or more powerful engines and tend to heat up quite fast. There are 2 ways to deal with it, alloy housing which acts like a heat sink, or replace the bearings often. The angle does suck, but it's not the primary issue imo

so I am upgrading my engine, and was going back and forth between the Zenoah 29 and 32. I only race this truck. I ended up going with the 29 because I was warned the 32 would be a bit over powering for the truck and break things.

I love HP but am also about usable power for the track. For example my 15s truck does not go on the track... has be tuned down to 10s.

thoughts on my decision about purchasing a Z 29?

Never would I have picked the 29 over the 32. In stock form, you can run a higher gear on the 32. With the correct clutch spring and set up, usable power is has a nice broad curve. Good power in the low to mid rpm range and enough snot up top to pull larger gears in a light rig, such as the dbxl. Over the years I owned mine I see any more or less wear or breakage because of it. Plus you have endless upgrades available for more power moving forward if needed. Both engines are factory rated close to the same hp. (3.2 vs 3.5 I think it is) using either in practice is night and day difference, especially with a good tuned pipe. I have always found the sub 30cc engines to be peaky and lack the bottom end of a well tuned 32cc. It's not nessisary about the big hp numbers but how and where the torque curve comes to play.

Ugh!!!

Well i am stuck with her now. This was a DDM special. $300.00 engine and pipe combo.

i spoke with the guys over at OBR and they told me to stay away from it, and i spoke to a couple if racing guys and they to told me to stay away from the 32.

But for some reason i am believing you more, because you HAVE experience with the dbxl and the 32. Why didn’t we talk about this more when we were doing the shocks lol

Ugh!!!

Well i am stuck with her now. This was a DDM special. $300.00 engine and pipe combo.

i spoke with the guys over at OBR and they told me to stay away from it, and i spoke to a couple if racing guys and they to told me to stay away from the 32.

But for some reason i am believing you more, because you HAVE experience with the dbxl and the 32. Why didn’t we talk about this more when we were doing the shocks lol
Something I have learnt a lot on while on this forum is ask all the questions, even if you think its dumb. There is many lads with decades of experience and knowledge.
I myself was asking about OBR and also stock G320 engines early last month, ended up with a stock G320 upgrading from a 29cc off brand unit. What I've found is my RPM in the 32 is about the same as the 29 top end, but the low down torque has massively increased, that is what you need for coming out the corners, RPM's for straight line speed.
BTW this is in my 30 degrees north truck not a DBXL, although a friend that bashes with us has the G320 in his DBXL and it goes very well.

Something I have learnt a lot on while on this forum is ask all the questions, even if you think its dumb. There is many lads with decades of experience and knowledge.
I myself was asking about OBR and also stock G320 engines early last month, ended up with a stock G320 upgrading from a 29cc off brand unit. What I've found is my RPM in the 32 is about the same as the 29 top end, but the low down torque has massively increased, that is what you need for coming out the corners, RPM's for straight line speed.
BTW this is in my 30 degrees north truck not a DBXL, although a friend that bashes with us has the G320 in his DBXL and it goes very well.
I went years with the stock g320 in mine. Was very good fit imo, and allowed a 20 tooth pinion. Very well rounded at that point. Good top end and enough out of the hole. Jumped from a 6k to 8k spring and it was perfect for what I did.
Ugh!!!

You didn't ask, and I didn't think about it. The 29cc is a good engine and can be upgraded to a 30.5 in the future if you see fit.

I went years with the stock g320 in mine. Was very good fit imo, and allowed a 20 tooth pinion. Very well rounded at that point. Good top end and enough out of the hole. Jumped from a 6k to 8k spring and it was perfect for what I did.

You didn't ask, and I didn't think about it. The 29cc is a good engine and can be upgraded to a 30.5 in the future if you see fit.
I went racing…. (21st year of racing). I am in the top 5 if not the top 3.

i came in 3rd this past weekend. However, my dbxl felt squirrelly on the track. The G29 felt ok… lacked low end for sure and now i find myself want more torque. Wtf!.

BUT before i go buying another engine, i need to sort out my suspension. I was 4 seconds slower with my G29 vs my CY23 (stock).

after some tuning i pulled more power from the G29 engine and was starting to smile until i started breaking cvd pins. (Time to upgrade to FML).

i think my suspension is completely out of wack.
discussion for another thread…

Back to engines:

so for the G29 any upgrades out there?
Also: is the G32 still a good choice or is there another engine out there people would recommend?

Attachments

• DD7DB390-9871-4CE5-8F1F-1B2A27A2EAB2.jpeg
    DD7DB390-9871-4CE5-8F1F-1B2A27A2EAB2.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9C291621-72EA-4747-A401-DF6BC217F384.jpeg
    9C291621-72EA-4747-A401-DF6BC217F384.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 4
I went racing…. (21st year of racing). I am in the top 5 if not the top 3.

i came in 3rd this past weekend. However, my dbxl felt squirrelly on the track. The G29 felt ok… lacked low end for sure and now i find myself want more torque. Wtf!.

BUT before i go buying another engine, i need to sort out my suspension. I was 4 seconds slower with my G29 vs my CY23 (stock).

after some tuning i pulled more power from the G29 engine and was starting to smile until i started breaking cvd pins. (Time to upgrade to FML).

i think my suspension is completely out of wack.
discussion for another thread…

Back to engines:

so for the G29 any upgrades out there?
Also: is the G32 still a good choice or is there another engine out there people would recommend?
Nice rocky hill. I was going to go but as usual work got in the way

You can go to a 30.5 with the 29cc, be your next best bet to a g320. Just need half of the engine replaced that you just bought lol, and a bit of a mod to the case for rod clearance. Or you can just get a ported head for the 29cc. The 30.5 is the more popular choice. You still will run about like a g320 stock imo.
Yes flm shafts for the win, and yes you will need to replace pins often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks