Just got an FG Monster Beetle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al,

I took it off as I am using the kill switch on the third channel. Tested everything with a switch and all good. Do I need to return my kill switch as the connectors in the motor section do not have the rubber guards to the plugs. Still works through.

Next step is to get the gasoline-oil mix to start the engine and make sure the kill switch does indeed engage.

Thank you!

Okay I think I am just feeling overwhelmed. I have the kill switch on now correctly and when I use the AUX, it goes off and beeps. I am now going to start applying the Blue Loctite tomorrow.

I am so used to electronic battery cars I just feel like I am spinning. Going to pickup some fuel and oil tomorrow as well. I really want to start the engine soon I hope.

What’s next before I can actually enjoy this thing?

Thank you!

Congrats on your new RC! I've had the Monster Beetle for years now - love it... I remember running the engine in, I ran 2 tanks through it on gentle throttle just tootling around a big car park before giving it some beans on its 3rd tank, the first 2 tanks seemed to take forever. On the 4th I started to give it longer wide open throttle runs - it could certainly shift! I've always ran it 25:1 aswell. I'd rather have too much oil than not enough. When I picked it up I couldn't wait to unbox it, checked all the screws over as you do but I seem to recall the vast majority go through metal into plastic, so were alright. I managed to strip a few though over time, which opened the door to upgrade time!! ;) It's not really the same car anymore these days, evolved into a 4WD beast. I've not ran it for a number of years now, each time I go in the shed I see it hanging up and I think to myself I must take it down one day, drop some light oil into the cylinder and slowly turn the engine over and get things breathing again.

Hello T2boats!

Thank you for that. My car is in pieces right now as I am adding in outerwear covers for the pull starter and air filter. I also ordered alloy engine mounting brackets today so I will loctite those.

Yes, like you said, most of the car is metal screws I to plastic so not too much to loctite.

I am looking to only use the 25:1 fuel mix on this car for now. Hoping to have it running in the next two weeks.

Thanks again!

I changed to the ali engine mounts too, then when I bought the 4WD conversion kit I'm sure I had to change the mounts again to what was in the kit to suit the new 4WD chassis. That was some time ago now!

Yep! Looking to actually run this thing finally. Downloaded the Zenoah G230RC/G260RC manual today and it too stated a 25:1 fuel mix. The FG Beetle manual states 33:1 but I think that is too high.

It's quite popular to race them with 33:1 or thereabouts as it'll help to develop more power, but I've always aired on the side of caution and given it a little more oil so the engine has a longer lifetime. I'm yet to have an engine blow on me anyway!

Okay...now to see what to get for charging the battery. Do you all use a step down converter or just use an adapter to chang from German to USA?

Thank you!

Here are some pics of the car.

When I first got it:

U44QQ8Mm.jpg

pGwcvuQm.jpg

How it is right now in mid upgrades:

n3Khmcfm.jpg

tZmzMxdm.jpg

3GmNGXVm.jpg

New charger:

drNit3im.jpg

I used the wrong screws on the larger engine mount so I now am ordering a new one. I do not have a die set and to drill it out will be the wrong diameter, so I am that is why I need a new one.

EPc0PM3m.jpg

Looks tidy! All part of the enjoyment, stripping and rebuilding with upgrades! Is that shell the same as FG beetle shells of old? It looks a little shorter than mine

T2Boats - Not sure about the size. It came with the RTR and I cannot locate the mm info on the body. The part number is 540060R RTR if that helps.

I am enjoying this as my first 5th scaler. I do enjoy wrenching with it. Just wish I did not mess up the engine mount. Looking like I will need to replace it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks