Just got an FG Monster Beetle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought new spark plugs and still not starting. Not sure what to try now. Should I take the motor apart and go through it piece by piece?

So my choke only moves a little bit. Could that be the issue? Right now it is down at 6 o'clock. It only moves a little and not to 9 o'clock.

Yep it should sweep through 90° so did you test the spark plug against a metal part? You can rest it so it touches the engine itself with it still plugged in to the ignition lead, pull the chord a few times and look closely you should hopefully see the tiny spark.

Here it is at 6 o'clock.
Hr7jCkfm.jpg

Here is it moved.
fgvwRrgm.jpg

It barely moves. Should I remove the carburetor and then make sure it moves properly? How can I correct this? There was a lot of spewing fuel when I tried to start it without the spark plug.

Sweet! Thank you T2Boats! As always, excellent help and advice! I will take it apart tomorrow and make sure it moves 90 degrees and then put it back.

I will remove the filter and then see what happens. Since the carb is full of fuel, I cannot remove it this evening. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning when I take it outside. No space in the garage to work on it yet.

At first I thought my choke levers on my RC's sit at 90° to what yours does, but I'm wrong. Just to check the orientation of your pix, you're taking the photo looking down on the engine/carb? Your throttle bar is 180° opposite to mine. The rod actuates my carb levers from below the arm sticking out the carb, yours operates it from the top side of the carb, so that must mean you've had to reverse the servo at some point when setting things up. Anyway, I'm quite interested to see what you find when you pull that carb off!

I think we got it! I removed the filter and carb. The picture I showed you never really opened the carb, so it was always closed. Now it opens and the movement is a fill 90 degrees. I can literally see it open now to full and close fully.

As for the servos, I never changed them, since this is an RTR, I so far have charged everything and today tried to start the engine.

At least you know the carbs' choke and throttle butterflies are free to move. When you refit the carb/filter, see if you can see what the gasket is going inbetween them as you offer it up and begin to screw them together.

I am able to start the engine now. The idle seems weir to me. It is going from low to high over and over. What do I need to adjust?

When I accelerate it goes no where and then cut off. Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to learn all I can.

Thank you!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks