Just got an FG Monster Beetle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked all the gears and all is right and making contact. I checked the plastic gears and those are still tight and locked down.

Everything still rolls back and forth like is should.

I will check it again when I start the engine on Saturday.

Thank you!

I have not had a chance to get to this. I have a business trip this week I need to prepare for so it will have to wait until I come back. Looks like next Saturday it is.

So after numerous attempts, I am still not able to run the car. The engine fires up, but I get no movement. T2Boats has been a huge help with this and so I am at the point of taking it all apart. Will go through everything bit by bit to see what the issue is. If I need to upgrade gears, so be it. I am determined to get this car moving!

Hello Gamefan,
this sounds not so good, give this a try to find out where the problem is.
At first lock the gears on the gear plate with a screw driver so that they cant turn.
Now turn both tire on the rear alxe forward normally this wont work because the gears are blocked. So if you can turn them now forward you will find the point where the problem is because you can see what will turn and what not. So look step by step and begin at the rim/square go forward to the differential and the layshaft and at last to the gear adapter till you have found the problem.
Hope this will find your problem.

Kind regards
Wolle

Wolle - Thank you for this. I currently have the whole car torn down and engine out. I have the 4WD system exposed right now and will try this and update the thread.

Thank you!
Gamefan

Since I have everything apart, what upgrades do you recommend for the Beetle 4WD Pro? So far I have done the following.

Alloy Engine Mounts (Large and Small)
Tuned Pipe

I was looking at gears, what is recommended?

Thank you!

In terms of upgrades, consider a ported head if you want more go, decent set of brakes, ally shocks, high torque throttle & brake servo to really pull on the brake. Tuned pipes really wake up the engine. Samba and Jetpro are good but the FG pipe is often overlooked but great value and a great all rounder.

Dwarfy,

I do want to upgrade the gears as right now I have a 48 plastic gear. I hate plastic gears.

I am looking at the metal brake kit at DDM. Have a link to one that will work for my Beetle?

Thank you!

Okay will pick that up as well. Thank you Wolle!

Now I need recommendation on a new pull starter for a G260RC engine. Any idea what is good out there? Would like a whole kit so I just need to bolt it on.

Thank you!

So with the Engine out and all the gears out, the rears roll toward when not locked down. When locked down, they do not move.

Now just waiting on some parts. Ordered the following items.

Tuned pipe
Metal gear 46T
New gas tank
1107 Walbro carb

Now need recommendations on pull starter and new brake kit.

Thank you!

Just throwing this out here.

Would it be better for me since I am so new to gas to just convert to brushless? The cost to get everything back up and running is going to come out to the same dollar amount.

I would sell the G260RC engine with kill switch installed.

Just wondering what your opinions are in this?

Thank you!

Why do you need a new gas tank, pull start and carb?
What is the problem with the tank, has it split? Not really much to go wrong with them.
What is the problem with the pull start? Has the plastic pawl broken so it is not engaging? If so just but the metal pawl from DDM.
What is wrong with the carb?

Hey Dwarfy,

The tank had a crack from an accident and the outer housing of the pull start is cracked as well. Also looking to upgrade the pull start just so it is easier to use overall.
Figure since it is all apart, now is the time to do theses things. Heard great things about the 1107 carb. Mine is a 603 and a PITA to adjust.

Last edited:
Voo2doo - Yeah I am too invested now to get this car running correctly WITH the gas engine. Just ordering the parts and then going to give it another go.

My local hobby shop owner told me to bring it in once its all together and he will tune it with me. He races his 5T and Baja 5B locally. Looking forward to working with him as well.

This site has been a tremendous help to me getting this far.

Thank you!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks