Just got an FG Monster Beetle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, can you pop up some pictures of the car in bits, earlier on page 8 you said the rear axle is free to rotate back n fore, yet when things are tightened down it holds fast and won't move? Engine mounts too, when I did my 4WD conversion I had to bin the nice ali mounts and use the supplied kit plastic ones as it raises the engine a bit higher above the belt channel so it doesn't compress things down and trap it.

Alloy engine mounts are a first hop up in my opinion. They stop the engine shunting forward in a crash/roll and mos aligning the gears. Bare with it and you will suss them out, well worth the trouble.
J

Yeah I was gutted when I found out I had to change them to the kits plastic mounts, they're slightly taller than the ali mounts I'd bought for when the MB was 2WD. As you say though James, they're a worthy upgrade! Wonder if there's an ali mount kit for the 4WD cars/4WD conversion kits??

So I am done with this car. I put stuff back together last night and took it to my local track. It would not start for the first 10 minutes. Then when it finally did start, it would not move again!

I am going to sell off the alloy parts, the engine and the carburetor and just convert it to electric. I know it may be more money but I have yet to enjoy RUNNING this car. I do not want to get more frustrated with this than I already am.

It is a practically brand new, only two tanks run through it G260RC engine. Has the alloy engine mounts, the stock pipe and stock 603 carburetor and new standard pull starter. What's a good price to sell it all for? I can also include three new sealed cans of VP Racing fuel pre-mixed.

Thank you!

Gamefan don't loose heart, these are really simple machines.
So your problem is no drive. Does this mean when you rev the engine the engine spins up but the gears on the gear plate are static? If so the clutch is not engaging or the belt is trapped jamming up the gear train

If the engine spins up and the gears on the gear plate turn but the rear differential is not spinning up then the layshaft gear has come loose on the shaft (common problem).

Btw, the 4wd belt drive is driven from the rear diff. If you have drive to the rear diff but no output to the rear wheels the front wheels will still be driven by the belt because the rear diff will be spinning up to create the drive, if that makes sense, so your problem should be easy to find.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks