Kill switch question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyperpete

Ok guys , need some help on this one.
Been using my Baja for a while now with a failsafe , but no kill switch......... I know ! ....... not a great idea, so I want to fit one !!!

Having seen Charlieboys one do its stuff last week , I got some questions !
I'm using an Acoms Technisport 2.4ghz radio system, which (strangely enough) has a 3channel receiver, but only a 2channel transmitter !!

So presumably i could wire a kill switch into the car using the 3rd channel socket on the receiver ???
Now I know I aint got a 3rd channel switch on my transmitter to operate it remotely.....but I saw charlieboy could operate his remotely, by simply switching his transmitter off to kill the engine. So could I do the same even though I got no 3rd channel switch ???
So the kill switch would still kill the engine if the receiver loses signal, and also I can operate it remotely by switching off my transmitter??????

Hope this all makes sense ! I don't know much about kill switches!

Thanks in advance y'all :clown:

hi mate i don't think it will work i had the acoms 2.4ghz same as yours and brought a pico kill switch from ebay as i thought if i turned of handset it would kill engine but it didnt work so i had to either dump handset or kill switch so i got a secondhand sanwa gemini 2 of ebay still dosnt work how i wanted it to but if i turn 3rd channel knob it will kill engine but if i turn handset off it stays on so if it gets in trouble ive got to be quick and turn knob i still run standard failsafe so its not that bigger deal if funds allow get a spektrum from what ive read on here there top and will work fine or look on ebay there is a ansman 3ch handset around thats cheap and comes with full 3ch but cheap aint always best

a pico switch, in its standard form will not work as a failsafe. in order for it to work as a failsafe you need a modified pico switch (basicly what all the specific 1/5 scale killswitches/failsafes are). the way they work is they have a small relay in them that needs power to open the contacts, allowing the motor to run. when it loses signal or power, the contacts close and the motor shuts off.

i don't think it will function correctly without having 3rd channel control from the radio as there is no signal to it. you could try it and see though.

a pico switch, in its standard form will not work as a failsafe. in order for it to work as a failsafe you need a modified pico switch (basicly what all the specific 1/5 scale killswitches/failsafes are). the way they work is they have a small relay in them that needs power to open the contacts, allowing the motor to run. when it loses signal or power, the contacts close and the motor shuts off.

i don't think it will function correctly without having 3rd channel control from the radio as there is no signal to it. you could try it and see though.

Does it not just use the third channel to get its power then???. Thats what I thought it did!!! :helpsmilie:

yeah thats the one but there is another one on there with a blue led if its on it will start off it wont flashing it wont it just a bit easyer than guessing there is so people on here that make there own for fraction of the cost maybe speak to them

Anyone out there got any ideas ???
I don't really want to get rid of my radio setup. I know its only cheap but I like it !!!!!!!!!

i know i was well happy with my acoms but after i had a runaway i wont take the chance i cant see it working any other way i tried y leads and everything but couldnt get it to work the standard acoms failsafe is ok but if your throttle gets stuck like mine did your in trouble you could put a spring from the rear shock tower to the throttle arm but its not 100% safe but them nothing is

hi mate i don't think it will work i had the acoms 2.4ghz same as yours and brought a pico kill switch from ebay as i thought if i turned of handset it would kill engine but it didnt work so i had to either dump handset or kill switch so i got a secondhand sanwa gemini 2 of ebay still dosnt work how i wanted it to but if i turn 3rd channel knob it will kill engine but if i turn handset off it stays on so if it gets in trouble ive got to be quick and turn knob i still run standard failsafe so its not that bigger deal if funds allow get a spektrum from what ive read on here there top and will work fine or look on ebay there is a ansman 3ch handset around thats cheap and comes with full 3ch but cheap aint always best

sumat must be wrong somewhere mate, i use a gemini 2 and a modded pico and it works as it should :blush:

Last edited:
cant knock that for the price i paid more for a secondhand sanwa gemini 2 but it is mint like brand new not used it out yet but im liking it so far

Cheers for all the info guys.

So , do we reckon there is no way I can get a kill switch to work with my current radio setup ???? :helpsmilie:

i think if you go to www.KillerRC.com and chose the PB Killer Switch number 2, it should work. but you will want to email Kent and ask. im not sure he has had the ability to check it on an AComms as we don't have the brand stateside.

but the number 2 kit is made for a 2cnl radio system, it plugs into channle 1 or 2 via a y cable and when you want to kill the motor, you shut off the TX, the kill switch notices no TX signal and kills the motor. may be the best option for you and a 2cnl radio.

thats the old style mate, to big and bulky. this is mine pete but not sure without the third channel tx :blush:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Kill-S...sGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item2305368138

as charlie says the one you where looking at is the old larger size what is

called the battle switch...the new type is a lot smaller and works fine:clown:

the one on ebay at the moment from jack rc as your in england is the one

to buy and any problems jack is there to help

scrap your acoms and get a 3 channel spektrum the one dwarfy shows

is the new eco one but check if the 3rd channel is on a switch on/off

or a rotary button ...every second counts when your in a panic to turn off

LOL for a little more this is good and you get telemetry and TWO receivers

think i paid around £140 for mine and the 3rd channel is on a switch on/off

http://xtremehobbyshop.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1984

Cheers fellas. I think im gonna get some money together and go for that spekky DX3E , then choose a kill switch after that, that jack rc one sounds good.
Anyone had any problems with spekky stuff ?? I'd heard a few on here don't like 'em ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks