New FG Monster Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamState

Hey everyone, haven't been on in awhile since I introduced myself with my new 5B SS. I thought I would have tons of questions but coming from nitro and brushless stuff to these made it all pretty easy.. Haven't really had any problems with my Baja either.

But now I just won a 2wd FG MT on ebay. I don't have a whole lot of info on it except that it has a brand new zenoah 4-bolt full mod 30.5 trevor simpson reed motor, Dominator pipe, steel 2-speed tranny, new Zelkie true fire body, wheelie bar and disc brakes.

I need advice on the first things that are going to need to be done to this thing to make it reliable. I don't have it yet it's in the mail so I don't know if it has alloy engine mounts or not, but I'm guessing with that motor it would be a good idea.

Also the only bad thing that I have heard about the 2-speeds is that the one way bearing is exposed to everything when off road. I found a cover for the 2-speed and seems like a good idea.

Of course the killer b, outer wears filters for the intake, flywheel and lower case. Anything else? I'll get oil and adjust the shocks later as needed. Thanks

Attachments

• FG.jpg
    FG.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 72
I saw that on Ebay and I wondered if someone one here was going to get it...

With a $400 body and a TS motor, I don't think I would ever take that thing off the shelf! If I did, I would never let it see dirt!

With THAT motor, a DDM Dominator, and a 2-speed, I reckon you need a GENTLE trigger finger, AND a spare shell, to spare the show one !!!

My G260RC powered FG MT with DDM high end Dom is ballistic, with NO other engine mods other than an Oddified 4-shoe clutch.

Al.

It was a shelf queen that he was building up. It's even sitting on a shelf in the picture :lol: but not anymore. I don't own shelf queens. If this thing has the motor he says it does, it's going to be a handful that's for sure. Might have to weigh down the front end:)

I might sell the body because I would really hate to mess it up. Know of anywhere to get a nice fiberglass one?

No comments on beginning mods for this beast? Are they that tuff as is? I'm thinking the alloy mounts and gear cover are a must. Can't wait for it to get here.

Last edited:
Gear covers are crappy on the FG's. They are not completely sealed so little stones can find their way in there and can't get out, therefore the stones kick the crap out to the gears. It's better to run w/o them.

Contact Sickboy, he has some Awesome Fiberglass Bodies!

Here is the cover that I found. I wish I could find some pictures of it installed. I might have to get it and see about sealing it up some how, or if it can't be sealed cut a small square hole in the bottom aft section to let stuff out. If these 2 speeds have an exposed OWB like I have heard, they will not last long in dusty or muddy situations, and my trucks see a lot of both.

http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/14208

N/M they have more pictures on that site. I can make that work like I want it to. Very tight tolerances between the cover and wheel, cover and A-arm

Last edited:
awesome buy mate, with that , motor your going to have a ball. very happy to hear also its not going to live on the shelf! i will never understand shelf queens!

as for what you need to do to make it reliable well let me just say I had a FG MT for well over 40 tanks and it was the best rc ive ever owned, awesome bit of kit.

considering the money this guys invested i don't think there will be any area for improvement.

my recomendation is to ensure its got alloy engine mounts, if it doesn't don't even run it once, with a RS reed motor stock plastic mounts will move before the clutch spring enguages!

its already got steel spur gears so thats covered, if your going to jump it make sure you get upper alloy rear arms, the stock plastic ones flex and allow the turnbuckle to touch the spur. But thats only for big 8ft+ jumping, anything under that and it doesn't flex enough to warranty concern.

hope this helps.

off top of my head:

Alloy rear arms (uppers) & lowers if you gunna be bashing hard :)
Alloy radio tray, too much flex in stock plastic in turn losing braking power.
Alloy hubs (especially front) rear also good idea.
Alloy servo horns & servo saver, stock ones aint too great.
Alloy shock mounts

with that lot, you got ya self a decent basher that will take alot of abuse! :)

B]Tizdaz:[/B] Thanks for the info. It already has alloy hubs I believe. The others will be on my list for the "next in line mods". Just doing the "have to be done" mods first.

O I'm gonna run it:) Slowly just to check everything out and make sure it's in working order. Can't wait for it to get here though so I can check it out. Paypal sent me a tracking number for USPS Priority but when you look up the number it just says that they have been electronically notified of the package being mailed. Typical USPS. PLus it's coming from NY and the weather isn't so good up there right now.

I never would have allowed a $1,000+ to be shipped via USPS... Tracking number is horrible and I wouldn't be surprised if the box is all caved in when you receive it. I used to work in shipping for the USPS. No respect for packages, the bigger it is the worse it is handled.

Next time get it Fed X'd... They are used to big boxes.

I had DHL drop a $3,000 snowmobile motor right in front of me and break a reed case, DHL screwed me by sending the insurance payment to the sender, so he got paid twice and I got screwed.

UPS is by far the worst offender. My cousin worked for UPS and he was telling me about scum bag employees playing "soccer" with a family's photo album that fell out of a ripped open box. Instead of putting it back in the box and taping it up, they threw the contents all over and were taking turns doing burnouts on the stuff with the fork-truck. This was a daily occurrence.

Fed X is the only company that knocks on my door to tell me my package has arrived and the boxes are always in good shape. Same cannot be said for the other shipping companies.

Best of luck to ya.

That's how he shipped it, I didn't get to choose. It kinda worries me though, I wouldn't ship that USPS either.

Every package I have ever gotten from DHL was pretty much destroyed.

I live at the end of the FEDEX delivery so when the tracking number says out for delivery, I won't get it untill the next day.

Never had one problem at all with UPS though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks