New Shengqi/TQ Racing Buggy Review!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAR

Last edited:
Hey Bear,

How do you like your buggy? If thats not a dumb question.:clown:

What are the draw backs of the Baja clone?
What type of upgrades have you done?

your space has a lot of R/c stuff, good to see the bug bit you!:2guns:

Thanks for the view, and the comment!! We have bunch of large scale including a "real" Baja. so it's cool to compare the two side by side. the only flaws we found in testing, and durability teardown was the typical RTR stuff.

I love a good deal on large scale, especially in this economy.

We typically tear down and rebuild before running to inspect the quality and build accuracy. Some soft screws, Carb Settings out of box, gear mesh, and shock fluid is the stuff we addressed before testing.

The review is on a stock unit. No mods as of late, The stock 8000 rpm clutch keep things interesting, and fresh. It makes launching pretty exciting. We did add a failsafe for "insurance" other than that we've thouroughly enjoyed reviewing this unit.

We continue to work with manufacturers on improving these products, and provide them with a detailed Engineering report with our findings.

We send out press releases to all major manufacturers, Shengqi is the only company who consistently steps up, and has us review their products. I'm sure as companies start seeing the metrics on increases in visibility, and sales& distribution requests, we will see more. I know their pretty impressed at the traffic these reviews drive.

Thanks for the support, stay tuned for new reviews. We are about to start a review on a new large scale boat, so things are progressing.

Thanks again for being a positive contributor to LSF. Your professionalism, and maturity make this one of the best forums out there !!

During our teardown we matched up nearly all parts without issue, some of the aluminum machining was not as flawless as the originator, But no issues with interchangeability. All parts we have begun to hop up this unit with, mate up without cursing or hand fitting. RPM suspension arms went on perfectly during a test fit as well.

Scott, The link from Bigger is to a King Motors version, This is not the model reviewed, but is a deal to entertain regardless. We don't know who the seller is as well, and cannot vouch for their service.

Contact information For the Shengqi/TQ Racing Group in the US is the WMW group @ 1-877-969-6686 or (407) 856-3688. The head of sales is Ma Sabe ask for her or Jim. Let them know you read the review here on LSF and were very interested in their product.

I don't know what their retail price is, because they are the Manufacturer, and typically sell wholesale to distributors, but I'm sure they would be happy to sell you one. They also are the only replica company to offer a 3 month warranty on their 2-stroke engines. That is a nice plus!!!

Keep us updated on your 'Quest"!!!

Seems to be the best deal right now.
Clone Baja Ebay Link Here

Scott, The link from Bigger is to a King Motors version, This is not the model reviewed, but is a deal to entertain regardless. We don't know who the seller is as well, and cannot vouch for their service.

Contact information For the Shengqi/TQ Racing Group in the US is the WMW group @ 1-877-969-6686 or (407) 856-3688. The head of sales is Ma Sabe ask for her or Jim. Let them know you read the review here on LSF and were very interested in their product.

I don't know what their retail price is, because they are the Manufacturer, and typically sell wholesale to distributors, but I'm sure they would be happy to sell you one. They also are the only replica company to offer a 3 month warranty on their 2-stroke engines. That is a nice plus!!!

Keep us updated on your 'Quest"!!!

Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Bear, I just tried calling the numbers you listed and just so you know, the toll free number is no longer in service.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks Scott I have e-mailed the company, and will remove the number if it is a dead contact.

There is a possiblity that they have been affected by a local business phone outage, There are a lot of businesses from Orlando to Tampa that have temporarily lost service due to a system failure here in Florida.

If you can't get a hold of them by phone you can inquire by e-mail to Ma directly at [email protected] or [email protected] I also know you can find this model on e-bay looking for "WMW buggy". also check out www.superiorhobbies.com they are one of the few large hobby companies still kicking with great customer service. I know they have a few as well..

Thanks Scott I have e-mailed the company, and will remove the number if it is a dead contact.

There is a possiblity that they have been affected by a local business phone outage, There are a lot of businesses from Orlando to Tampa that have temporarily lost service due to a system failure here in Florida.

If you can't get a hold of them by phone you can inquire by e-mail to Ma directly at [email protected] or [email protected] I also know you can find this model on e-bay looking for "WMW buggy". also check out www.superiorhobbies.com they are one of the few large hobby companies still kicking with great customer service. I know they have a few as well..

Again, thanks so very much for the info.

Scott

Yeah, We included them along with about 18 other manufacturers in the press release back in Oct. and November, and got no reponse. If somebody has direct contact info other than "[email protected]"

We would be happy to arrange one ASAP, and give our readers a full photo spread and review. We also include and subbmit a full engineering report after the product review directly to the manufacturer to assist in design development and reliability for no cost to them. It is a huge benefit and exposure to them with no financial investment, which in the current economy is a major plus.

As "Bigger" and I have been discussing the comparison of replicas to originals can get sticky both with die hard brand loyalists, and companies alike. So we'll continue to publish them independently with no direct connections to one another, and advise of major differences, and similarities we run across.

Spread the word the more support the better. When more manufacturers see the boost in visibilty, and sales - more and more will continue to get on board. We have also been having extensive communication with European companies to salvage US sales of their product lines and convince them that dissolving the US market is a long term bad idea for brand loyalty and ongoing revenue generated by parts support.

Thanks for all your intelligent input. It is appreciated. If you know of a company trying to get some free exposure have them contact us @ [email protected], or visit us @ www.myspace.com/cflargescaleracing.

Last edited:
Some times yes sometimes no. It's not really cost effective to advertise for a company and pay for it too!! We aren't making a profit on what we do, It's all gratis to manufacturers. If we do buy a part for our personal use we'll drop a blurb if it hasn't been talked about by 10,000 people already.

Some times yes sometimes no. It's not really cost effective to advertise for a company and pay for it too!! We aren't making a profit on what we do, It's all gratis to manufacturers. If we do buy a part for our personal use we'll drop a blurb if it hasn't been talked about by 10,000 people already.

I was just thinking about the whole Consumer Reports thing. Keeping the manufactures away and out of it keeps the reviews as unbiased as possible.
If a manufacture makes you all warm and fuzzy your review can reflect that.
If you have to advertise for a company to get the model to review, It makes the readers think "Why would they ever have a bad review?"
That would be an opening for others to say your part of the company and not a true outside opinion.
It is tough though if cash is impossible to collect. I think you would have to sell the 1st to get the second and so forth to keep trying and reviewing new models.,
Was just curious, don't take my words as a negative against what your doing just a comment on the process.:)

Last edited:
I completely understand your thought process, But like you said we would go broke if we were to purchase everything we look at, as I said in my previous comment we do not generate revenue from doing this and have no stake in sales or the outcome of any review. We just don't dig unfounded negativity.

I am an industrial engineer by trade, and feel that a product shouldn't be outcast because of who or where it's made. I do this with two other guys as a labor of Love. The hobby business has a elitist vibe in some circles, I know it's turned me off more than a few times. Truth is this is a fully customer driven business. Without us they don't exist.

As far as this model goes. We truly enjoyed it, and We have clearly outlined what "issues" we found during testing (Soft screws, Carb settings, gear mesh) Nothing that anyone of a caliber ready to own and afford one of these models could deal with in their sleep. Again we gave many manufacturers an opportunity to showcase their products, and only a few ever responded. This kind of response gives us as hobbyists a snapshot of customer care, and sales support.

If the Manufacturer is removed from the process, than they cannot see and respond how customers feel about their product. Believe me - they want , and should know. This helps us get more for our money. If a company's product needs refinement we let both them and the customers know about it.

I personally appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks