Nutech GT5R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so lazy today. after so many hours wrenching, then a couple hrs sleep, worked, then painting and wrenching for about 12 hrs.... I have my rear sock off the dirtbike, had to polish the inside of the shock body (go duratrax quality) and refill it. it sits while I scan the forums, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes lol. at least I carried the stabilizer shock to the table... I did replace an axle screw...

there. some drama to read about haha. I'll get it done shortly then pop the mustang on the table again to work on the setup and experiment with the front shocks... at least I will cut some of the spring off tonight. it's really bugging me. kinda like how people that don't cut the flashing off plastic parts taken from a parts tree when you build..

I also have my new SC8e kit to build... yes finally I got an rc that was in kit form. sure getting sick of buying rtr rc's. where's the fun in ripping down someone else's build to build it back up. nobody every gets it right so please stop building my rc's allready

I agree too....there is too much temptation to pour some fuel in it and give it a run......only to have something fall off..bind up..or poop itself completely...

Bring on more kits!!!!

This rtr mentality now in the hobby kills me. I am savouring this kit. I have pulled the bags out a couple times and looked at all the goodies. The tires come pre glued but that is one thing I will say I don't mind. Me and crazy glue are arch enemies...

well it's garbage day. they'll be here soon. time to clean the garage. I really need to let more stuff go soon. far too much crap in here

Bullitt's a GREAT movie!!
I watched the chase 2,000 times before I even considered watching the movie ... a bit deep, getting involved with the mob and that, and pretty gruesome. I admit it requires a bit of concentration, and there loads more 'better' movies with car chases in.

Ok, the front shocks really bugged me, even the back I wasn't happy with. I got a bag of off road springs from Sharkey a while back. I have Red, Yellow and Silver... hardest to softest. I also have a bunch of parts.

I took the stock spring retainers off and replaced with the larger plastic fg ones. they fit no problem and are actually not as tall as the Nutech ones which gave me some room to play. I tried the reds on back first as there is way more weight. I also inclined the shocks in on the tower for more lean angle. Same with the front. With the stock setup the chassis front won't bottom out and there is zero droop and the arms actually were above level.

Now I actually have some sag in the arms, the chassis bottoms out front and back and I have down travel when I lift the chassis to play with... Now I can actually dial the suspension in...
And it looks so much better with some color I think. The only drawback is the front spring is touching the arm a touch at the top but it doesn't affect the performance. I could probably cut 2mm off the shock shaft end and screw the adjuster down and be done with it.

There's also a couple pics of the new bec. it has a power meter when plugged in, and a red light at bottom when power is turned on

DSCI0002-6.gif
DSCI0003-5.gif
DSCI0004-4.gif
DSCI0005-2.gif
DSCI0007-1.gif
DSCI0008-1.gif
DSCI0009-1.gif
DSCI0010-1.gif
DSCI0011.gif
DSCI0012.gif
DSCI0014.gif

Allready painted, just had to cut more off the front as it hits the ground again. Did it black with 2 chrome stripes... only thing left is to run it and install my lihghts when they get here. We are running on Sunday at the College parking lot. it's a huge place. Be taking this, the semi and 2 bikes... well I have to tweak the setup, and maybe get some new tires

I finally ran the GT5R today. First it runs good, has good power, the pipe is actually not too bad. Nothing fell off, came apart etc and I ran nearly a tank in a dusty parking lot. with all the heavy winds we have been getting, there were pine cones and branches to avoid... all in all I am happy with the way things worked out... except

These tires are absolute crap LOL. I played with setup, changed camber, castor, toe in, ride heights... I got ti to somewhat stick but even had exponential like 75% on throttle to try to not over rev or it just spun out. turned my steering dual rate way down to about 50% too

Another odd thing, and you will see once rich uploads the videos, is the chassis flex with the back body mounts. when I push on the back body mount with body off, it tweaks enough to pull the throttle... when I put the body on, it put pressure on the body post and I had to trim the throttle toward brakes so far I couldn't get full throttle anymore. I am going to have to get different tires (Chris, please send some good tires with Scott's next order, I will pay for them). I even did a big burnout to try and soften the tires... it was a real challenge to drive.

I also got some driving done with my dirt bike and we got some cool videos of me beating the hell out of it.

we had 3 in my car so I pulled the semi out and left it at home. wish I had brought it to try those tires out... I am going to look closer at the chassis tonight and I am probably going to run some aluminum channel down the chassis. I can drill through the chassis and countersink it, thread the aluminum. one piece will go under the clutchbell no problem. I'll look closer later... I have my SC8e half built and want to finish that tonight. Tomorrow I start tweaking the chassis on the GT5R (or I swap my semi stuff around and make this my semi, mount the Nutech bling on my fg comp chassis)

Here's the GT5R. eventually I was able to make some ovals but it was getting pretty frustrating to drive with these tires. I tried adjusting a lot of things and it got better but still not good. I could tweak the suspension more but I think tires will be the biggest improvement now... maybe lighten the oil in the dif...

the odd thing to look at is 3 mins in. the pressure on the rear body post actually throttled the car... I'll look closer at that this week and maybe add some chassis braces. I might just go to a plastic body mount that has some give too

this is with the body on. I had to turn the trim towards brakes a ton once the body was on since it pushed on the body mount. I wasn't actually getting full throttle. I was experimenting with the throttle exponential here and trying to kick it out and adjusting the expo to tame things down... I had changed every setting on the back and it was better but... next time out I am tossing the semi tires on to see

Last edited by a moderator:
id guess that the chassis flex is caused by a weaker grade of aluminum being used for the chassis. i know my fg flexes, but not near that amount.

looking at the vids it looks like my fg before i got some tuning done, even with a brand new set of pmt tires. i found with the torque of a 26cc and gearing to go with a 23cc it made the car very tough to drive. with the taller gearing and a little more suspension tweaking (i took off the swaybars, it helped a ton) it took most of that out. maybe try that before you get rid of the tires

Don't know which way I prefer it, with nice body on, or super shiny with the body off!!
Very nice.
In pressing the rear body mounts, was this affecting the throttle after the chassis had 'bottomed', thus just forcing the mounts further down?
Interesting one that!!
I suppose it's also an anti-stall device if you roll it!!

it revved as soon as I pressed on the mounts and increased as I pressed down... ya anti stall device haha.

I finished building my SC8e kit today... had to build something from a kit and take a step away from modifying. I need to dial this in so the tb2 and semi can get on the table. and blew the motor in my ofna yesterday. I forgot how much work it is when you own multiple rc's

Here's a couple vids to show the flex. I am looking for a thicker piece of flat aluminum now to put on the chassis over the hole to reduce the flex a bit.

th_DSCI0001-6.gif
th_DSCI0002-7.gif
th_DSCI0003-6.gif

man that is a sharp looking rig Pip. the body looks quite good really.
my Berg had some chassis flex like that, but it never pulled on the linkages. maybe kill the throtle linkage, and move over to a cable instead. the cable may allow the wiggle room needed to not be pulled via the chassis flex maybe?

Berg redid the entire chassis to a 6mm billet race chassis. was a gorgeous piece and eliminated pretty much all flex. Maybe this could be something Nutech should look into. ive seen chassis stiffeners guys made with some solid square aluminum stick. like 1/2 by 1/2, the found area to run it across the area on either side of the motor. seemed to really help that flex area by adding the long supports it needed.

i solid chassis is the foundation to a solid model.
i m going to have to read your thread from top to bottom to soak in all your info. looks like a great model and read

Last edited:
Ya, I was looking. I had rails down my old fg and it was awesome, but with this tank there is no room. there are the holes in the chassis so I could mount an fg tank, then I could add the rails. Or add a plate over the hole and screw it down, or buy another comp chassis like I did for the semi and swap it all over and make another servo tray and linkages. I thoughht about the cables too but it still has to be tight enough to pull th throttle or I'll have to leave some deadband and have some initial play. maybe turn up the exponential? bah I'd rather just fix the problem rather than band aid fix

last night of graveyard. I am taking a break from wrenching. pulling out the guitars and doing a jam session tomorrow. day after I will have another look... I have other toys ready to go so it's not a big rush

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks