Nutech Thunderbolt 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Sperera

Maybe my driving lacks finess, but you know that Prodigy tune? "Smack my B!@£< Up" Yup, my truck is showing signs of wear and tear.:no:

It does look nice, maybe when I've done all the upgrading of the running gear and have spare dosh and find a sweet design, then I'll look into getting a custom shell. Stickers will do for now :donatello:

p.s. that black shell is another world, isn't it?

Last edited:
was supposed to rain but turned out sunny, so I did a complete detail on a truck... home early but have 2 vehicles to do tomorrow so I am not unpacking the car to go play.

does look awesome, no doubt there.

what do u run and whats wearing?

Running a XTM Monster MT to the ground at the moment. The extra ooomph from the LRP .28 is tearing the truck apart.. CVD's, centre diff, drive cups..list goes on..

What are you running at the mo? Any future rides planned?

@ Mr. Pipeous,

Day off today, just gonna replace bent front CVD, off to burn off remaining Nitro.. Less than two weeks now!! Woo hoo!!:donatello:

I am soldering my new lipos up with deans. a different esc arrived yesterday in the mail, so have to swap things around. mamba in the ofna 10sc is going into the ttr bike. velineon going into the ofna (I want adjustable brakes in the bike). My Nutech GT5R is in town, poor Scott made the trip over from the Island and then they didn't release the container to him... now my motor in the ttr bike is noisy. I got it a bit hot racing in the ofna 6900 kv, so think it's toast... parts should be here for the dx450 soon.

Semi is ready to rip, nitro bike, tb2 and after swapping the esc's the ofnna and electric bike will be ready. we have a bike get together happenng friday night in a mall lot that is lit, so that's why I was trying to get the electric bike ready.

sometimes too many toys keeps you wrenching more than playing hehe

Got everything fixed aside from soldering plugs on lipos. the $30 esc works great. I pulled the trigger and ordered an SC8e yesterday, so another brushless toy is coming. gives me 2 classes to race this summer at the electric track.... hate standing around

well it's sunny out but I have to go work. short day so hope I can get back to play. have to do graveyard tonight for 3 days (still awaiting approval from property owner for our 3rd person but no more weekend work for me woohoo)

Been a while since I updated this thread... I stripped my buggy down to the chassis yesterday and installed 3 alloy dif cases and the front cvd's (I guess we should call these universals, technically they are uni's and not cvd's but hey)...

I did the center case first and had to take it apart 3 times... if you plan on doing the case upgrade, take 2 minutes and open the cases, take a fine round file and clean up the edges of the slot the internal gear pin rides in. I went around and smoothed of the edges. I found after I built mine the first time I was getting some binding... I looked and looked. I tried adding extra this and that, third time I decided to clean the dif out again and found some small metal flashing in the gears from machining... after a quick cleaning file and put back together, they bolted up just fine and were smooth... no diddling around. so I say again, file the groove and clean out any small flashing... it will save you my headaches...

next was the front end. Just take your time when doing the front or rear difs. the spring behind the pin in the output shafts can be a little tricky. I used an allen wrench just smaller than the spring, went in on an angle and pushed the spring below the hole so I could slide the pin in with needlenose pliers... go slow and make sure you get the pin hooking the spring... the one in the outer gear is easier to deal with... this case went together without much of a hitch and is very smooth.

I added the universals next. my first time through, I got everything bolted up and wow was it binding up bad... I popped the upper arm off, straightened the universal and wacked the end with a screwdriver handle... the bearing in the knuckle seated in properly and solved the issue... I was sure I had pushed it in far enough... so if things are binding, take a look at the bearing... I had to reduce the downtravel with the droop setscrew in the lower arm about 3-4mm to ensure there was a nice free spin without any binding. to me it's a good trade off to the positive..

I decided to do the mesh mod to my motor casing while it was out. I take bodyworking mesh from canadian tire to do mine. it has one side a little sticky so you can cut and place it. I use JB quik (fast drying jb weld) to holed it to the case. I forgot to take pics while the motor was out, but here's a couple pics with it in to show what I mean. you cover the openings in the bottom of the motor to keep pebbles out. one pebble can get in there, take out a flywheel fin, which starts a chain reaction and usually takes out more. then you need a flywheel to replace the wobby one.

by the time I got to the back dif it was getting late. I had to work today but needed to clean up the kitchen table or I'd get the usual attitude in the morning LOL... those bloody springs... I slipped off the spring, it flew out and hit my left eyebrow (I had actually taken my glasses with safety lenses off as my eyes were tired and got lucky there)... I had to do the crawl on my hands and search the carpet for the spring... also wear eye protection when doing these dif changes haha.

today I made a lid for an fg radio box which I put in to hold my rx, bec and kill switch. looks much better than the tupperware

DSCI0009-2.gif
DSCI0008-2.gif
DSCI0007-3.gif
DSCI0011-1.gif

For the diff spring thing, I've bent out my old Nitro exhaust spring tool, and found it quite useful in compressing the spring to push that tricky pin (sorry don't know its proper name) down.

So the CVDs do fit..Good to know =)

ya cvd's fit, just have to shorten the downtravel a little bit with the setscrew... tap those bearings in tight... I'll be able to run mine sunday...

same with the center dif case. some had binding. I had to build that case 3 times with the alloy case. it had flashing inside from the machining in the pin groove. I didn't clean it at first and had some problems. after I finally realized the problem, I emptied and cleaned the dif, filed the inside, washed and refilled. it is smooth now. Used up almost a whole bottle of mugen dif oil too

Just uploading a video now. I took some clips from my bud's vids from the weekend. The vid is just uploading now. I managed to get about 6 mins of my rc's from 3 vids. bikes, semi, tb2. I love the end of the TB2 vid as I lawn dart it into clay and dig a hole... nothing happened there either. I stripped my plastic servo horn catching a tree... my old fg vw is in that vid too. this place is for 1/18 scale lol, so very tight. the trees were far apart for the tiny rc's but came close to them a few times. we haven't actually run 1/18 down there for almost 2 yrs now and the tree roots have reclaimed much of the area.

if you want to see the original videos with all the planes and model rockets and such
4mods
menotyou

Last edited by a moderator:
it sure is a blast. that little track in the bush... we cleaned up a bad area. homeless people lived in the bush, stole crap from surrounding residents and such. we cleaned up the trail in there, cleaned garbage, needles etc and now residents walk their dogs through. we had park police come in once and saw us running our rc's... but they thanked us for getting rid of the problems as people wouldn't go in there. there is actually a picture of our track on the park website now lol. even the locals have thanked us for cleaning it up. at one point we had planted grass boarders for the 1/18's. over time and kids on bikes it has degaded. we don't much run the small things anymore

the rockets had soft tips and that big plane was made from styrofoam sheets

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks