Nylon intake gasket issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
so as you guys know I bought a ddm billet manifold and TR billet air box. So my issue is that the assembly got loose on me...only way I found out was it was beginning to get hard to tune. So long story short im having an issue with getting the bolts tight. They do snug up and don't move but I can still very slightly move the carb around when its tight...can I use some good gasket sealer? Seems like the nylon is too hard and won't give me a squish and its too slick

so as you guys know I bought a ddm billet manifold and TR billet air box. So my issue is that the assembly got loose on me...only way I found out was it was beginning to get hard to tune. So long story short im having an issue with getting the bolts tight. They do snug up and don't move but I can still very slightly move the carb around when its tight...can I use some good gasket sealer? Seems like the nylon is too hard and won't give me a squish and its too slick
Sounds like your bolts are too long to me.

I was wondering the same thing..i did put the stock spacer on that was between the stock air box and carb since the bolts that came with the air box were like a mile long..there is a machined protrusion on the tr intake box thats the same thickness as the spacer but I kept it so I gave me some room to get to the choke. But now I have to start it with the body off because I can't get in there to lift it properly

I was wondering the same thing..i did put the stock spacer on that was between the stock air box and carb since the bolts that came with the air box were like a mile long..there is a machined protrusion on the tr intake box thats the same thickness as the spacer but I kept it so I gave me some room to get to the choke. But now I have to start it with the body off because I can't get in there to lift it properly

Your choke butterfly clearing an not binding up?

I just verified the depth. I still have about 1/8 or more of depth....so its not that...im a little nervous about gasket sealer on the ports on the manifold so i doubt thats a good idea..i do see a slight indentation on the one side of the nylon but it doesn't make me feel good that it moves20200918_224803.jpg20200918_224819.jpg20200918_224811.jpg

By nylon gaskets I assume you are referring to the white teflon gaskets that come with the intake? Ironically I have the same set up on my dbxl and didnt have this issue. I believe there were washers that went under the long bolts that came with the tr air box. I think from the description of your issue. You either forgot them or tr screwed the pooch and didnt include them.

Edit, loctite 518 is what I would reccomend here. It's a thin anaerobic sealer that does well in such applications. The body of the sealer lends to precision application and doesn't "squid out" like a rtv type sealant.
Mmmmm them dodgy ddm billet manifolds ??‍♂️???
Go shimmy up a cactus and rotate ??

Bolt length isn't the issue I measured and I still have an 1/8th or so before I bottom out....took about 2mm off for the hell of it and still same issue...i give up for tonight

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks