Opinions on OBR engine choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Sean, yeah ESP kits are available, they add £120 on top of stock Zen engine. Is ESP better than OBR or similar just different manufacturer/machinist?
The price for the 1242 is almost identical to the 1107/990 for me, just see what's in stock when I order.

So, if it was your £400/$500 which engine/carb combo would you buy?

Thanks again btw
I forgot your starting with the smaller engine platform, I have no issues with obr, just if you have a g320 based engine it's cheaper to get an esp top end kit. Since your starting new the obr will be the way to go.

Why not go for a Zen G320 long block and swap all your bits over, once on this platform you have plenty choice for a new top end when you wear the original one out.
Plenty of revs and masses of torque, both Flosi and the 5luT have these engines with 990 carbs
Flosi is a bog standard and pulls hard.
The 5lut has a standard bottom end and an OBR full mod top end, which you can buy when needed.
Ask at MMR or CCR about a long block, ask on the local facebook pages, might even get a used 1 to rebuild like i did

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Why not go for a Zen G320 long block and swap all your bits over, once on this platform you have plenty choice for a new top end when you wear the original one out.
Plenty of revs and masses of torque, both Flosi and the 5luT have these engines.
Flosi is a bog standard and pulls hard.
The 5lut has a standard bottom end and an OBR full mod top end, which you can buy when needed.
Ask at MMR or CCR about a long block, ask on the local facebook pages, might even get a used 1 to rebuild like i did

Cheers
Dave

From the research I've done the covers from my 30 degrees engine are different from the Zen along with a couple of other parts. I have looked on RCModelz and the engine that Garry has built for his, the 34 ESP motor is back up on there for £229, but then I would need to buy covers, insulator, carb, small end bearing plus some other parts.
I was tempted by the stock Zen32 but the prices for an OBR aren't much different. Mind I'm not disappointed at all with my 30 degrees engine, its running well.
From MMR Modeltech looking at £242 for the stock Zen complete with correct fan housing, clutch housing and clutch carrier for my truck, also including the 1107 carb.
Suppose could do that and then buy the ESP kit if I wanted down the line.

I've seen your trucks run Alexander, they run well and are reliable.

Last edited:
Right lads, just bought my new engine. After talking with a couple of local lads and a good bit of thinking I've purchased a stock Zenoah g320.
My reasons being it comes with everything like 1107 carb, clutch etc and will be an upgrade from my current engine. Plus I can buy off the shelf upgrades later down the line if I want more power.
All I've heard for the last 2+ years I've been on here is "don't buy clone buy Zenoah, they are reliable engines with plenty power out the box".
Since I'm not a racer and not after top speed runs I thought the G320 would be a sensible choice that should fulfill my desires for now, plus it will arrive on Tuesday so can be fitted, ran in and tuned for next weekend.
My current engine will be fitted to my Baja and the Baja engine will be a spare stock 29cc 30Degrees North engine that will sit in my filling cabinet or sold on.

Appreciate the time taken for your responses above, time to see what the hype is about with the Zen 32. I will have to do a field run with my GPS strapped to the truck before I remove the engine and swap it, then compare to the Zen.

I ordered an OBR signature series about three and a half weeks ago. I talked to them last week and they said it was going to ship out Friday, because they were moving, Friday was their last day in their old building. I have not been able to contact them, their phone has been disconnected. I never got a confirmation the engine was shipped and I have no tracking number, so before anybody does anything with O'Brien racing make sure you can get in touch with them f
I ordered an OBR signature series about three and a half weeks ago. I talked to them last week and they said it was going to ship out Friday, because they were moving, Friday was their last day in their old building. I have not been able to contact them, their phone has been disconnected. I never got a confirmation the engine was shipped and I have no tracking number, so before anybody does anything with O'Brien racing make sure you can get in touch with them first.
3-4 weeks is about normal shipping on an Engine when they are built to order. You can Contact them via Facebook to get your answers until they get setup in the new shop. And just a FYI OBR stands for Oneil Brothers Racing. Never heard of O’Brien Racing. Also it takes a lot to move a whole shop. OBR has always had great customer service.

So, in order to get this engine fitted am I right in thinking I have to machine 2mm from the face of the clutch housing and use my old fan cover. What else will I need to modify?
Cheers lads

So, machined the clutch housing this morning, and carried out the mesh mod this afternoon.
Flywheel is off as gonna machine that tomorrow for my easy start, wiring for coil is off as gonna solder the cable in for the kill switch. Will swap the fan cover over when I take one from another engine.

Mesh mod is ISOPON Aluminium mesh, was easy to cut to shape with scissors and easy to form into shape, then hotglued in place. If the hot glue doesn't hold I will go down the epoxy route.

Ps stock filter has been left on as it makes for an easy handle lol, it will be removed upon installation.

20210901_164712.jpg

20210901_162932.jpg

20210901_162948.jpg

good engine choice bro. stock zen g320 is great . I would go maximum to the piston port .I'm still comparing my g320 piston port with the g340 reed SS. absolutely unnecessary purchase . my g320 is a beast (for half the price of a reed ss). reed is just a little better (minimal) . for me, reed case is just an "inflated bubble" ..

That’s why I have a SF pro max 34 and an Oddified 34 both ported. I know for a fact the Oddie is a beast and I haven’t even run it yet, it might blow up but I doubt it.

The SF is mental as well and Paul Mr Spents is the only one who I know has run them side by side and says there is minimal difference. The Reed is more powerful but more peaky so that makes it less accessible depending on how and where you run.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks