Plagued with Engine Starting and Tuning Issues (Seems never ending)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*UPDATE*
So Ive been going round and round in between work and working on my RCs but finally got my FG working again. Note to the wise make sure what ever tools you have for troubleshooting are free from any issues or you will be chasing down a rabbit hole. The spark plug\coil tester i had was giving me intermittent results which had me thinking the issue was something else. As i inspected closer the spark plug\coil tester top part was not making good contact in the coil because its too small. Ill see if i can get a head off of one my old spark plugs thats no longer good and screw it on there to make better contact.

Anyways I had to borrow an impact drill from a froend to get off the engine so I could change out the coil and changed out some other parts whiule i was in there. Put back together set the Carb 990 back to stock settings L= 1 1/8 , H=1 5/8. Put in new spark plug and ran it for a lil while. Seems to be running ok so far except for top end ill fine tune that a lil more and probably lean it out a bit. Will see what the following days will bring. Now im going to shift back to my Redcat rampage and take that engine off as well and change out the coil. I found out that after a while the coil wire works loose somewhat. That can be fixed by cutting it a lil shorter to fresh wire contact and reinsert and plug and works fine now. Thanks to whoever posted that on youtube. I used to waste money buying new complete coils when hakf the time they can be fixed.

Thanks again to all input

Pretty normal
*UPDATE*
So Ive been going round and round in between work and working on my RCs but finally got my FG working again. Note to the wise make sure what ever tools you have for troubleshooting are free from any issues or you will be chasing down a rabbit hole. The spark plug\coil tester i had was giving me intermittent results which had me thinking the issue was something else. As i inspected closer the spark plug\coil tester top part was not making good contact in the coil because its too small. Ill see if i can get a head off of one my old spark plugs thats no longer good and screw it on there to make better contact.

Anyways I had to borrow an impact drill from a froend to get off the engine so I could change out the coil and changed out some other parts whiule i was in there. Put back together set the Carb 990 back to stock settings L= 1 1/8 , H=1 5/8. Put in new spark plug and ran it for a lil while. Seems to be running ok so far except for top end ill fine tune that a lil more and probably lean it out a bit. Will see what the following days will bring. Now im going to shift back to my Redcat rampage and take that engine off as well and change out the coil. I found out that after a while the coil wire works loose somewhat. That can be fixed by cutting it a lil shorter to fresh wire contact and reinsert and plug and works fine now. Thanks to whoever posted that on youtube. I used to waste money buying new complete coils when hakf the time they can be fixed.

Thanks again to all input
To replace the coil wire. I don't even think of it if I have a spark issue. Jut toss another wire on it first, but tbh I don't typically have ignition issues. Zen coils have worked very well for me.

Yep shes running like a champ now AND I got my RAMPAGE back running as well. New coil and plug. Lets hope i can get them running consistently. Now i have turn my attention back to my XCR 1000. Its doing strange stuff. Its running but after its warmed up It starts idling high. Im suspecting an intake leak somewhere but ill get to it. I have the original Rampage MT 32cc engine running in there

Its running but after its warmed up It starts idling high. Im suspecting an intake leak somewhere but ill get to it. I have the original Rampage MT 32cc engine running in there
Ok so first off that engine is a major 💩. It’s a clone... of a clone (they didn’t even spell oil right on the label 🤦‍♂️😂). My uncle has been through two of them (warranty), and they each only lasted a couple tanks. I heavily suggest you get rid of that price of 💩 and put something better, at least a zen 32, or mabe even an obr or something like that. If you really wanna keep it, start with replacing the inslulator (thing between the engine and carb) and all the gaskets, while you are at it, you should also change out the filter from that stock junk, TGN triple flow for the Baja is good. But it would still be best to swap out that junk engine for something good (zen based).

The worst and saddest part is that they put their typo fuelie sticker on it, and it’s a newbie trap. Most newbies would see fuelie and be like “oh this is a quality engine”. Lol my uncle was disappointed to see a “fuelie engine” go bad until I told him it’s fake, but he is good with 5th scales now. Anyways here’s how to tell a real from a fake, first off, fuelie never made anything over 29cc and a fake fuelie will almost always have a typo on the sticker. 👍

My fuelie ran ok then it poop the bed one day. Replaced the ring and it was good to go again. Those engines are not the greatest and I believe they are Chung yang engines

Hey brother, what kind of maintenance do you do after running? Also, just from running your engine can you hear if the tune is right? Can you take a photo of one of your rigs with the shell off (I’d like to see the condition of the rigs we are talking about)

After i run every couple outing i usually use my compressor and blow off and clean off all the dirt and grime and dust. Spray down with simple green and and clean areas that really dirty and blow it all off.

Here a pic of my Rampage under the hood. Shes running like a champ so far. i ordered a couple steering links since i was out bashing one came loose/damaged.

Heres a few pics of my rigs for your viewing pleasure

Attachments

• 20210501_102738.jpg
    20210501_102738.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210501_094501.jpg
    20210501_094501.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210501_094327.jpg
    20210501_094327.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
Soooo... my FG Sportline is not starting again. Didnt take long for something to happen again. Like I said about every 3rd time i take out something comes up. Not sure what it is. Im suspecting maybe its the Coil that i fixed. tried couple diff spark plugs, nothing. Its not sparking at all. Added to that I cant get the freekin engine mount off and stripped one of the screws. Im just gonna tighten the screws nxt time and deal with any loss screws falling out because getting these screws out is a female dog sometimes. SMH.

Attachments

• 20210504_153818.jpg
    20210504_153818.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 14
Soooo... my FG Sportline is not starting again. Didnt take long for something to happen again. Like I said about every 3rd time i take out something comes up. Not sure what it is. Im suspecting maybe its the Coil that i fixed. tried couple diff spark plugs, nothing. Its not sparking at all. Added to that I cant get the freekin engine mount off and stripped one of the screws. Im just gonna tighten the screws nxt time and deal with any loss screws falling out because getting these screws out is a female dog sometimes. SMH.
How tf do you strip a screw that bad 🤦‍♂️. Drill it out

This is exactly why you gotta use hea
Thats me using heat first with no luck. Blue loctite BTW.

Then tried a tap and drill thats why it looks like it does now. Pain in the ass. Ive tried drilling to no avail. Im hoping to drill until the screw head disentegrates w/o damaging the chassis. But then ill have to deal with trying to get the other end out of the engine mount. LOL. Fun fun fun.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks