Project LOTUS 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mr U ,

I didn't make a mold , I covered the forming block , direct ( nosecone ) and chassis (flip side ) .

I used 2 layers (160 gr/m2 ) and ,you are right ,it is thin. I 'll use 2 more layers ,inside.
You might use one layer of kevlar and one layer of fiberglas. Kevlar is stronger than fiberglas and even stronger than carbon. You right to put the layers from the inside. After that you can lightly sand the outside with 400grit sandpaper and cover it in primer before painting. For painting I suggest a 2k poly utethane paint and for primer you can use an epoxy primer. Stick with the primer and the paint to the same brand. I mostly use Sigma (which is a very good paintbrand here in the Netherlands)

Depends what you are using it for. Kevlar (a type of nylon made by dupont) is more flexible, and hence more resilient in a crash. Carbon is stiffer, so more likely to break in a crash. Fibreglass is more flexible than carbon, but not as strong as Kevlar.

On Canoe polo boats we usualy use Kevlar because it makes them more resilient. for Slalon canoes/kayaks Carbon is usualy the material of choice because of the superior stiffness. It's allways possible to get a mixed weave if you want the best of both worlds.
(Canoe polo is a mixture of rugby and basketball on water. youtube canoe polo if you want to see how violent it is and why Carbon is too brittle for thease......)

:eek:mg:Cool build, do you have a lotus 7? My uncle used to have the caterham R300 Superlight and now he has the caterham CSR 260, cant wait for the summer a nice day out in CSR and put my baja in the back :laugh:

:eek:mg:Cool build, do you have a lotus 7? My uncle used to have the caterham R300 Superlight and now he has the caterham CSR 260, cant wait for the summer a nice day out in CSR and put my baja in the back :laugh:

I would like a lot but I hanen't ,... only in rc version and noy ready to race yet.

Vassilis when you do it you do it right!! I love this project and all of your projects. Keep up the great work..

Chris

both mate would love one but don't think i could afford it mate :blush: awsome work though

It is a prototype , so it costs a lot of money and time (....hours ,.... days, ... weeks). You can see it as a pleasure ,only.
Plans , to make 10 cars,on prototype after hard driving and qualitative check, maybe could keep the cost ,about2000 - 2500 euro ( a piece )
, without engine , servos and radio control .
Is it excessive ,or not ?

It is a prototype , so it costs a lot of money and time (....hours ,.... days, ... weeks). You can see it as a pleasure ,only.
Plans , to make 10 cars,on prototype after hard driving and qualitative check, maybe could keep the cost ,about2000 - 2500 euro ( a piece )
, without engine , servos and radio control .
Is it excessive ,or not ?

nar mate that sounds ok for the size of it and the workmanship gone into it but i wouldn't be able to afford one for a while but whould love one :cool2:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks