Received an HPI Baja 5SC and need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, I'm back with updates.

First of all, I haven't forgotten about you guys. I know I'm new and everyone knows it's very easy for new guys to "hi & bye!" out of things, especially for beginners at ANYTHING. A hobby grows with you, it doesn't "just happen". I'm going to be 100% honest, I thought about quitting before the adventure even began.

This wasn't a hobby I thought I would be in to begin with, I was THROWN into it and blindsided by my ex-neighbor (he moved away). In fact, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it? That's still up in the air. I came here looking for advice and I was welcomed with a LOT of it, which was awesome! I went to these websites and the first thing that stuck out to me were the prices on EVERYTHING. $100 servos, I mean, SERIOUSLY, these manufactures must be making money hands over fists! I took a servo apart, it was a tiny motor with 5 pieces of gears. :eek: $100. Still can't believe it.

I put this thing in the back burner. Opened the garage and threw it up on a storage shelf.

UNTIL LAST WEEK. Old neighbor found me on LinkedIn (out of all places?) and asked if I was having a blast with it. I sheepishly lied and said yes. I couldn't bare to tell him that it was back in storage. He gave me this thing in hopes that it would see the light of day and revel in grassy fields in full baja glory ... and I left him down.

Screw it, I thought. I bought those damn Servos, new carb kit, batteries, and few other things that don't come to mind right now, and got to work. Following all the videos and PDF manuals ... I GOT THE DAMN THING GOING AND IT'S MEAN AS HEEEEEELLLLLL!

The ONE thing I wasn't expecting was how LOUD it actually is when you punch it full throttle. I was whipping it around in my backyard after I tuned it up and my front neighbor started to complain. Since I was up close to it, I thought it sounded as loud as a normal weed-whacker. Nope. Apparently poop-tons louder. So now I can only do it in open areas to not disturb people. Not an issue being on Fort Hood, TX. Plenty of open spaces.

Right now, I have a few things on my list to "improve" on it. It got REALLY dirty from me whipping it around so I have to clean it up. Can I power wash it? I have an electric powerwasher, it's about 1700spi but it's adjustable.

Also, what do I need to lubricate other than shocks? I can also see some rust spots in a few places. Nothing major that needs to be replaced but things like a few bolts, on the tuning pipe, on the motor and such. I was thinking of using my dremel to remove the rust and using something like engine enamel spray?

The last thing right now is, when I break, the car doesn't stop as fast as I would want it to. From wide open, to full stop, it's about a 15 foot stop. Is there anything I could try to improve on breaking? Right now it's stock. I'm not gonna lie, I thought it had more stopping power but it bashed it against my fence on accident thinking it would break sooner.

Thanks guys!

One las
glad you got it running and enjoying it!!! i hope you stay in the hobby! now, some people put a bag on the air filter and then spray the reciever and servos with wd 40 and then spray it with a hose and it works fine like BOTAJELL, a well-known guy in the 5th scale and nitro rc hobby, i talk to him frequently on youtube (he isnt on this forum sadly) he's a cool guy, but besides the point lol. heres how he does it
i wouldnt powerwash it tho, too much pressure and can damage seals and stuff. i just brush mine off with a paintbrush and a tooth brush, im too paranoid to wash it with water plus its just gunna get dirty next time out. next, he air filter is the only frequently lubed up pieces, shocks, drive cups and differential don't really need oil changed often.

Not sure if this was the fire or another i had?
????
Def the other ... no flames there??
ill deffo be doing this (y)(y) currently using stock poopy brakes lol, i might put another pad in the middle just to boost the braking power till i get me sum rcr's and a carbon fiber middle.
thk it needs to b 3mm.or jus under the 3rd pad????
Im on stock discs still and it locks up sweet???

glad you got it running and enjoying it!!! i hope you stay in the hobby! now, some people put a bag on the air filter and then spray the reciever and servos with wd 40 and then spray it with a hose and it works fine like BOTAJELL, ... i wouldnt powerwash it tho, too much pressure and can damage seals and stuff. i just brush mine off with a paintbrush and a tooth brush, im too paranoid to wash it with water plus its just gunna get dirty next time out. next, he air filter is the only frequently lubed up pieces, shocks, drive cups and differential don't really need oil changed often.
Dude, I couldn't stop chuckling at BOTAJELL's video. He sounds like he's from New England with all the "hit that poop!" he was throwing out, :ROFLMAO: Super informative, I'm gonna do this exact thing. Brush it off first, hit it with Simple Green and WD-40 it. I'm gonna stop at Auto Zone this week to see if they have Silicon Spray, but it safe to spray the air-filter? I wouldn't want to seal it, know what I mean?

U can adjust the brake .look for end of rod by the engine and u ahpuld see a black looking round adjuster......ideally u need a bit of fuel tube there(y)
And a 3rd pad is a good move??
As u can see on mine?
And it depeneds on what servo u got in it..?..
I totally see what you did there! It was hard to see at first but then when I googled Hemistorm MaxHex like you said, it all made sense. I'll put that on the upgrade list, for sure! Right now, the servo I have there is only 25kg. I'll upgrade it if and when it burns out to a 35kg and see how it goes!

Also, I was wondering why your Baja was looking burnt lol Was it the heat from the exhaust that lit it up??

25kg will b fine with the hex+3rd pad?
Dude, I couldn't stop chuckling at BOTAJELL's video. He sounds like he's from New England with all the "hit that poop!" he was throwing out, :ROFLMAO: Super informative, I'm gonna do this exact thing. Brush it off first, hit it with Simple Green and WD-40 it. I'm gonna stop at Auto Zone this week to see if they have Silicon Spray, but it safe to spray the air-filter? I wouldn't want to seal it, know what I mean?

I totally see what you did there! It was hard to see at first but then when I googled Hemistorm MaxHex like you said, it all made sense. I'll put that on the upgrade list, for sure! Right now, the servo I have there is only 25kg. I'll upgrade it if and when it burns out to a 35kg and see how it goes!

Also, I was wondering why your Baja was looking burnt lol Was it the heat from the exhaust that lit it up??
I had a grss fire or 2.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:a
:eek:

No don't spray the air filter becuase water could seep into the engine and create rust. also his accent is pretty funny lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks